Community Message Boards

Thread: Israeli Couscous

Question Israeli Couscous

I have a question for you guys. This is something I have been wondering for awhile. Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between Israeli Couscous and Acini di Pepe?

I just got my july issue and there is this recipe for Chicken Salad with Olive Vinaigrette. It calls for Israeli Couscous (of course that isn't available around here yet), but I was looking at the picture and it reminded me of Acini di Pepe, and since I know couscous is just tiny pasta, I was wondering what the difference between the two are.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken Salad with Olive Vinaigrette

Recipe By :Jennifer Martinkus and Derrin Davis
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : poultry

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 cup uncooked Israeli couscous
    1/4 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
    1 tablespoon chopped capers
    2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 garlic clove -- minced
    2 packages 98% fat-free chicken breast in water -- (7-ounce)

Cook couscous according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and rinse with cold water.

Combine olives and next 7 ingredi≠ents (olives through garlic) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add cous≠cous to olive mixture; toss gently to coat. Stir in chicken just before serving. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 11/2 cups).

CALORIES 348 (28% from fat); FAT 10.7g (sat 1.2g, mono 6.4g, poly 0.9g); PROTEIN 25g; CARB 34.9g; FIBER 2.4g; CHOL 18mg; IRON 1.9mg; SODIUM 929mg; CALC 66mg

Source:
    "Cooking Light, July 2003, page 179"
    S(Article):
    "Trail Mix"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 382 Calories (kcal); 17g Total Fat; (39% calories from fat); 21g Protein; 35g Carbohydrate; 44mg Cholesterol; 750mg Sodium
    Food Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : You can substitute 2 cups cooked chicken or turkey breast for vacuum-packed chicken.
    Nutr. Assoc. : 449 926531 1036 0 0 0 0 0 0 2446

I'm not sure what type you are speaking of, but the Israeli couscous is much larger...closer to barley size.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Acini di Pepe is a pasta that is a small ball shape about the size of barley. I think it is most often used in jello or fruit salads, like Frogs Eye Salad.

Wink

Icc,
    I don't know where in Illinois you live, but I know that Whole Foods carries Israeli couscous in the bulk bins. It might not be called "Israeli" (and my Israeli husband just calls it couscous), but they are just larger balls of couscous.

Oh good! Another recipe to use my Israeli couscous on. Thanks for posting the recipe, as the July issue hasn't made it here yet.

Peggy

LisaSue, where in Chicago is the Whole Food store? I am in one of the southwest suburbs.

LisaSue, where in Chicago is the Whole Foods store? I am in one of the southwest suburbs.

Sorry, accidentally sent this twice.

There are a bunch in greater Chicago but they tend to be on the north side of the city.

http://www.wholefoods.com/stores/list_IL.html

HTH

KrissyLou

I was in St. Louis this weekend visiting friends, so I stopped at Whole Foods on the way home and bought some Israili Couscous, so that I could see what the difference was between it and Acini di pepe.

Israeli couscous is a little bigger than acini di pepe and it looks as if it has been precooked and then toasted or something like that. But I don't think it changed the flavor noticeably. It is almost as if Israeli couscous is the large size, Acini di pepe is medium size, and couscous is the small size of essentially the same sort of thing.

I made the recipe at the top of this thread and it is really yummy. The only change I made, was that I didn't use the vacuum-packed chicken. We had leftover grilled chicken from the night before. Also instead of trying to chop olives and capers, I tossed all of the ingredients except the chicken and couscous into the mini food processor and pulsed until it was the right consistency. Very easy.

I just received a sampler box of grains from Earthy Delights (free shipping) Israeli couscous was included.

This is what the enclosure says:

"Israeli "Couscous" is unique toasted pasta, produced exclusively by Osem in Israel.
    Like regular pasta, Israeli "Couscous" is made of hard wheat and water in an extrusion process, but then, instead of being dried, the Israeli "Couscous" is toasted in an open-flame oven."

It goes on to say that it has a unique, rich nutty flavor and that toasting seals in the starch and reinforces the exterior, allowing it to absorb liquids without falling apart.

Cheryl
    Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard all the bull before.

Cheryl

I missed this one...

DH is going on a business trip next week, this recipe is on my list to try, he hates olives and couscous I will look for Israeli Couscous, if not I will try my acini di pepe. Has anyone else tried the acini di pepe?
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer