Community Message Boards

Thread: Ideas for party for 50 year old woman

Lightbulb Ideas for party for 50 year old woman

Sometimes the 50th birthday can be a pretty emotional time. Trying to get some unusual party ideas not of the "coffin" mindset - which seems to be the direction of most 50th parties.

Exclamation

Is it going to be a suprise? One fun thing I saw done was you get a picture of the person face ( Can be the same or different pictures) and have it blown up to lifesize. Than you put that on a stick. When the person comes in everyone yells suprise with the picture held up to their face. It looks like a roomfull of themselves. It's funny and even if the person caught on to the "suprise Party" they usually don't expect this!

Why not think of everything you can that does NOT scream "over the hill".

Dwell on the wisdom that becoming 50 imparts.
    Dwell on the riches of family and friends -- possibly children and grandchildren.
    Dwell on the best, most unique things you can think of about the person turning 50.
    Share stories.
    Make his/her favorite foods.
    Create an atmosphere of empowerment.

If it is a female, buy her the book "Freedoms after Fifty" by Sue Theole.

Celebrate -- there's no reason not to.

Talking

Hey, I don't know about you young folks, but when I turned 50, my main problem was beating off the guys who were making passes at me! (They still do, occasionally, and I just turned 59 -- but then, the age of the pass-makers has increased as well. )

I also didn't (and still don't) have much wisdom, by the way. How about moxie?

Or, as Mehitabel says in archy and mehitabel, "There's a dance in the old dame yet!"

Cheers and a frisk or two,
    Phoebe

OK Phoebe, gotta say I NEVER would have thought you were close to 60....in my "mind picture", you were 30
    kim

Excuse me if I'm missing the point, but if you feel the "birthday girl" is age-sensitive, why make an issue of what birthday it is? Celebrate the person, her special day Focus on things you know she'll enjoy and don't make an issue of the number.

...and if she, like many, takes the "aging like a good bottle of wine" point of view about becoming older, so much the better. Thumbs up to Phoebe for seeing the glass as half full, not half empty.

Cool

May sound sexist(or crass?), but how about a male stripper?

WELL PUT GAIL!

I turned 55 in July and love it! That 'coffin' stuff is AWFUL! I cannot believe anyone would do something so ridiculous! 50 years young is wonderful.

As Gail put it, if the person is sensitive to age, just have a nice 'ordinary' birthday party.

Elaine