Community Message Boards

Thread: Question about self rising flour and all-purpose flour?

Question Question about self rising flour and all-purpose flour?

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything in the searches. So I apologize if there is a thread floating around somewhere
    Anyways, I have a muffin recipe that calls for 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour and 1 tsp baking soda. I bought self-rising flour a while ago by mistake and have so much of it. I always use the all-purpose. So, to my question...how much self-rising flour can I use to replace the all-purpose flour and baking soda

THANK YOU!!

Cool

Does this page help you? (for your purposes, look under "all-purpose flour" for general baking.

http://www.foodsubs.com/Flour.html

PS If you haven't done so yet, highly suggest you either mentally note or bookmark this site. Comes in VERY HANDY.

Thanks Gail. You know I went there but just typed flour the info I needed didn't come up. I think I need to be a better searcher :-)

This is what it said:
    Substitutes: For general baking self-rising flour (Omit salt and baking powder from recipe. Don't use this in yeast breads or pie crusts.)

My recipe calls for 1 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt. No baking powder. I'm assuming if I just eliminate the soda and salt and use the same amount of flour, it will work ? We shall see

Is there any acidic ingredients in your muffin recipe? Generally, baking soda is used to offset the acidic ingredient (buttermilk, lemon juice) so you might not want to leave it out.

Lisa

Originally posted by Pony
    Thanks Gail. You know I went there but just typed flour the info I needed didn't come up. I think I need to be a better searcher :-)
    If you scrolled farther down the page (it was a loooooong page!!! ) you would have seen this info:

self-rising flour = (in older cookbooks) pancake flour Shopping hints: This is more commonly used in the South than in the North. Substitutes: 1 C all-purpose flour + 1 teaspoons baking powder + teaspoon salt

Hope this helps you!
    ~ ~ Leslie ~ ~

There is 1 cup nonfat buttermilk in the recipe.

thanks for the help!!!