Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Friday Coffee Klatch

Hybrid View

Thumbs up Friday Coffee Klatch

TGIF! My usual hazelnut coffee from panera, but I'll tell you one of the guys here has been making one called Killamanjero...or however you spell it, it might be my new favoritest coffee in the whole wide world!

We had more layoffs this week. So it's been quiet and sad here again.

We are leaving for lake Chautauqua right after work tonight. Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to beable to work in that kayak lesson. Usually when we go it is a very big group of people, but this time it will just be DH=, myself, Otis, his friend Yogi (long story) and the couple that owns the cottage their 3 kids and their dog Pavlov. The wife had a stroke (she's 41) a few months ago that we didn't even know about until a couple of weeks ago. The husband hasn't been very forthcoming with info so we're afraid she has some permanent damage. So I didn't think it was right to schedule time away from the group not knowing how well she is doing.

That's it for us. How about the rest of you?
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

Ah Friday... DH is working to get out of work early and then we join the other Yahoos on I-75 northbound for our cottage. His brother and wife are coming up to join us this weekend. I finally got the curtains made for the porch. The old ones there, my grandmother had made some 20 years ago and they really needed replacing!

Other than that, we are planning on fishing, kayaking (you'll love it, Peggy!), canoeing down the AuSable River and campfires at night.

Have a great weekend, everyone.... I don't know if I'll be back online because I've got a ton of things to do before we leave!
    Springtime is my time of year!

Good morning Peggy and everyone else!

Peggy- sorry to hear about your company's layoffs. DH's company is down to 350 people now (from 1200 just 2 years ago), so he's seen the morale go way down at work as well. Hope you guys have a great time on your vacation, and hope your friend is doing better.

Tomorrow I am throwing a surprise 40th bday party for DH, whose bday was yesterday. He knows I invited his family over, but he doesn't know about anyone else. We should have about 30 people here. I have to start the food tonight. One of our good friends, and fellow foodies is helping me w/the food, and he is making a ton of stuff, thank goodness.

This coming Tuesday we're going to see Journey, REO Speedwagon and Styx while they're in town for a concert. (Okay, I am probably showing my age by saying that they have always been favorite bands of mine!) Anyway, it should be fun and a looong concert. Just hope I can stay awake for the whole thing.

Take care and hope everyone has a great weekend!
    In a nutshell, I'm saying no to fishbread.
    - Wendy W - CLBB

Good Morning Peggy.

I didn't think you were going to be here today. That's too bad about the layoffs.

This morning's coffee is Columbian Supreme.

For work today I've got to put some finishing touches on my reappointment package and turn that in. That way I can have a job in 2004-2005 . I get to do this every year until I get tenure. Unless the teaching faculty decide that librarians shouldn't have tenure. Aren't University Politics fun?

I've been found out. Last night Al was poking around the BB (he didn't create a username) so he now knows how many posts I have. He was rather shocked.

This weekend is relatively quiet. This afternoon Ginger has a playdate with the girl across the street, and it's ice cream night! Tomorrow is the new door. I think I'll run some errands. I want to look for the new Harry Potter book and Kohl's has swimwear on sale. I need a new suit, mine's 10 years old and the mesh part is starting to wear out. The rest of the suit looks fine. The girls also need new suits as theirs are a tad small, plus Ginger's pool shoes are worn out. A trip to Sam's is also in order. I'm sure we'll hit the pool and/or go skating too.

A nice weekend at home, for a change.

Peggy,
    That's sad about your friend, and very thoughtful of you to skip the kayaking for her. Have fun at the cabin, it should be nice to get away.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

Look at me! Here on a Friday!! Can you tell it's summer??

Peggy, so sorry about your friend. And about your company's layoffs. Is your job still secure??

Good morning everyone else before and after me!! We have lots of plans this weekend but it's all flexible. The Senior PGA tournament is here so we'll be going to that, I'm trying to get ready for a garage sale (I must be nuts), and I'm clearing out a bedroom so that my cousin can move in (that info was on another thread). It's also soccer tryout weekend so I'm running oldest DS to tryouts so he can play on a team in the fall. Our pool is open, and is even nearing 80 water temp so I might get into it and get back on my tanning schedule! I'm pretty pale for June!

Everyone have a good weekend!

Debie
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Good Morning Peggy, Muriel, Sue, Leigh & Debie!

Hola! to all who post after!

We have a fun weekend coming up.

One of my good friends is getting married this weekend. They are having their fancy dan reception at the Roostertail in Detroit, I believe it is on the river. That should be fun, fun, fun. All my good friends will be there AND my very pregnant friend will be there, so it will be fun to see her before she has the baby in a couple of weeks.

Either tomorrow or tonight, most likely tomorrow, I will also pick up the new Harry Potter and dive into that.

Peggy, sorry to hear about your friend. I would bet any money her DH isn't forthcoming b/c he is just so scared about losing her, and the more he talks, the more real it becomes.

Muriel, enjoy the "drive" up north. I did that once, and won't do that again. Ick!

Sue, I love all those bands, so you aren't showing your age

Leigh, have fun at the pool.

Good Morning!

Peggy/Muriel3002 - Enjoy your weekend. It's always good to get away.

SueK - Have fun at the concert! I love REO Speedwagon. Boy, does that take me back.

Leigh - Enjoy a weekend at home. We've been away the last two weekends and although it's nice to get away, I am looking forward to just hanging out.

More rain in the forcast for the entire weekend. When will this end? Tonight is my SIL baby shower. Tomorrow we have a birthday party for DH= niece. Other than that we are going to get a few things done around the house because as soon as this weather breaks...I plan to be riding and forget everything else!

Hi to anyone posting after me.

Good morning, everyone!

Peggy - I'm sorry to hear about the layoffs. I know you've been going through a lot of that at your job. I hope you're hanging in there. And I'm also sorry to hear about your friend. I hope it isn't as bad as you think. Have a great time at the lake!

Muriel - egads, you're joining the parade up I-75? Where is your cottage? We have friends with a home on Walloon Lake that we get to use whenever we want, but we generally try to leave on Thursday night and come home on Mondays, since Fridays and Sundays are so awful! It makes my commute home horrible (I-96 west) on Fridays. I'd love to have a cottage up north, but the drive would get to me after a while, I think.

Sue - have a great time at that concert! And the party tomorrow - how fun! It's great that you have a friend helping with the food.

Leigh - When will you get tenure? Sounds like you have a nice, calm weekend. I was thinking of heading to Kohls this weekend too. They're going to build a store about 10 miles from my house. It's not my favorite store, but you can get some great deals there!

The weather here in Michigan has finally turned the corner, I do believe. High 70's today and tomorrow, mid 80's on Sunday, and into the 90's next week. That's hotter than I'd prefer it, but these are the days that get me through January and February. Not much planned for us - farmers marketing on Saturday and Sunday, and I NEED to get back into cooking. I have been in such a funk lately, it's not funny. I wonder if I'm the only one......

Oh, tonight I'm going to a park with a few neighbors to see the DSO (Detroit Symphony Orchestra) play. That's always a good time, and it's going to be a gorgeous night. Jim is going to stay home with the girls and get some work done.

Happy Friday everyone, and have a great weekend!

Good morning. I usually just lurk here, but have been so crabby lately that I decided to just jump back into the human race . . . and my boss is out today, so I can take a moment online . . .

My coffee got left at home when I was trying to remember to take all my "stuff" while running late. So I didn't get my full quota and, reaching the office, got some Diet Dr. Pepper instead! In Chicago, you can take your coffee (or tea, or beer, or wine, or whatever) with you on the trains. In DC, you cannot have any food or drink. The DC Metro is MUCH CLEANER (needless to say); but it makes for a tough morning.

No big plans for the weekend; it just keeps raining, so I've quit making them. I moved here in December to get away from Chicago's weather -- which has been looking pretty darn good.

Everyone have a wonderful summer weekend. Enjoy the lakes and the cabins and the cities. And those who are with me in the east -- stay dry!!

Hi! to all who come after.
    Work is the ruin of the drinking classes.

Muriel,
    Have fun at the cabin and I hope traffic's not too bad. I was munching on the dried blueberries you sent last night. DH's comment was "yuck". Of course, he's on Atkins and can't have them anyways.

Sue,
    Have fun at your surprise party. Oh, and that concert brings back memories, enjoy it!

Debie,
    You've got a full schedule. Have fun at the SPGA tournament. This is the first year we've missed the LPGA tournament at my Dad's club. Good luck to your son at soccer tryouts and that's nice you're making room for your cousin.

Karen,
    Have fun at your parties, and I hope the weather clears out so you can have a nice ride.

Sandy,
    I'm eligible to apply for tenure & promotion to Associate Professor this fall. I may do it this year, or I may wait a year. I'm not sure yet, it depends on what I hear about some articles I'm working on. Enjoy your night out, sounds like a great way to spend a friday evening.

Leigh

Good morning all.

Peggy How stressful about the job layoffs. I hope you go unscathed through it all. Enjoy your weekend at the lake. I hope your friend is able to enjoy it to and you all have a wonderful weekend.

Muriel A weekend at the cottage sounds wonderful!

Sue Enjoy the suprise bday party! I will DH will be thrilled. And I'd love to go see REO, Styx, and Journey. Have a great time!

Leigh A quiet weekend at home sounds grreat. I love shopping at Kohl's for bargains. Seems like I find a lot of house ware stuff there pretty cheap, as well as T-shirts. I got a new swimsuit on sale last week at Foley's.

I'm sitting here with Harley-dog at my feet. I took him to be weighted last night, and he's lost about 14 lbs. in a month. I was pleasantly surprised. We have done a mile walk each of the last 2 nights and he is holding up well. I hope he doesn't have to stay on the prednisone for to much longer.

I think I'm going to go see Bruce Almighty with a girlfriend tonight. I've heard it's hilarious and we could use some laughter!

DBF will be home in a week! Yay. The first week he was gone was OK, but the last 2 have drug by. I really miss him.

Tomorrow, I have camp orientation for a summer camp I do through Children's Medical Center. Last year was my first year, and it is an awesome experience. So, I have to be there an hour before the other returning counselors to meet the new counselor in our cabin and have lunch with her. Then I will introduce her to the others when they arrive. It's a long day, but very fun. Then tomorrow night, there's a get (re)acquainted dinner at someone's house. I can't wait. Camp is only a month away!!

Sunday is a free day. I might try and get to the Farmer's Market, and do some stuff around the house.

Have a great weeekend everyone!!
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

Originally posted by Molli526
    [B]They are having their fancy dan reception
    Such a Julie phrase Miss Molli!

Sue, if you're showing your age than so am I. I love those bands also. But I can't admit it to DH=...he thinks it stinks! What does he know. Every time we go through the CD's to get rid of what we don't listen to he picks up my Styx cd, as if I'm going to get rid of it!

Leigh next Friday I won't be here. Yay! The new door! You must be so excited. Take pictures please! Befor and after. I can't wait to replace my front screen door. (Kathryn can attest to how ugly it is! But she'll probably be to polite to say!)

Sandy the DSO night sounds great. Dress warm if it's anything like it is here. First day of Summer my as....er adams apple!

As far as my job is concerned, hmm who knows. I mean as long as this office is open they need a receptionist. Doesn't mean it has to be me. Legally they can't lay me off and then hire someone for the position, but they can lay me off and move someone into it or hire a temporary. And I think I've said before that even though I do a great job, I think they wouldn't have any problem moving the girl from the helpdesk into my position. I hate to even say that I don't think she'd do as good a job, but she is handicapped and though she would never ever play that card I think my company would take it into consideration. We'll see. Like I said I hate to even say that.

Debie we don't think you're crazy to have a garage sale, we thought you were crazy to make potatoes for 300!

Hi Karen and Muriel
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

Hi everyone!

Yet another overcast weekend predicted in New England. Last weekend we were able to get our bicycles out and spend Sunday morning riding, so I hope we can fit a ride in this weekend as well.

Otherwise, we have a lot of errands to take care of, maybe work on straightening up the basement/family room, a task we've been putting off for a while. Last weekend DH installed a new ceiling fan in our bedroom -- a little thing, but it's soooo much nicer than the old one, makes a big difference. And did I mention he also finally installed the new shelves in the pantry, doubling my storage space? Yay.

Saturday night our supper club is having a dinner out. I'm looking forward to it.

Last weekend, DH and I went to a benefit concert for a theater here in town, and heard this amazing performer, Deborah Henson-Conant. She plays the electric Celtic harp, and it's unlike anything I've ever heard before -- a mixture of jazz, blues, rock, and she dances around the stage with the harp strapped to her body -- she tours nationally, so if any of you ever have the chance to see her, definitely go. Here's her website: www.hipharp.com

Peggy, sorry to hear about your friend -- hope she's doing better soon. And, sorry about the layoffs. Enjoy your weekend.

Leigh, sorry to hear you've been busted!! Tell your DH if he's going to be lurking around here, he should introduce himself and say hello.

Sue, enjoy the surprise party!! Better hope your DH doesn't come lurking and find out about it

Molli, enjoy the wedding. What are you wearing?

Hello to everyone else before and after me!

Helene
    "We reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. Our founding fathers, faced with perils we can scarcely imagine, drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations. Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake."
    --President Barack Obama, 1/20/09

Hi all!!

Well, I'm wide awake this morning, after having had my coffee much earlier than usual. Plus this gorgeous weather helps. Yay for June!! One of my most favourite months.

Not too sure what this weekend holds. I'm going to spend time with family today, and tomorrow hope to go for a good run. Maybe we'll go for a longish bike ride on Sunday, and do some more skill drills (can never have too much of those, right?). Some stuff around the house, grocery shopping, cooking, baking, seeing a movie or two, browsing at the library...it all sounds good to me around now. Oh, I might have to work a couple of hours too, which is fairly rare for me on the weekend, but it'll be worth it to have a big project done.

Lakelady, that's interesting about the Chicago and DC metros' drink policy. Live and learn!

Sue, enjoy the party!! That's exciting.

Sandy, enjoy the DSO!! I LOVE going to concerts and this sounds like such fun.

Hdgirl, enjoy the party and the shower!

Molli, enjoy the wedding!

Hi Debie.

Leigh, that's so funny about Al. Have fun shopping and swimming and enjoying summer!

Peggy, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend (and about the layoffs too). Here's wishing you a good time at the lake, and I can totally see why you don't think kayaking is on the agenda this time. Best wishes to your friend, and please keep us posted!

Muriel, have fun at the cottage.

Hello to anyone else who posts afterwards!

Natasha
    "If you're not chasing after miracles, what's the point?" The movie Saint Ralph

"What it all comes down to
    Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine
    I've got one hand in my pocket
    And the other one is giving a high five" - Alanis Morisette, Hand in My Pocket

Good morning good morning Peggy, Leigh, Debie, Molli, Helene, Sue, whomever I forgot and all that come later!

It's a busy busy day around here. Mom and dad are leaving for London today for mom's new business venture, so I get to do the airport run. I personally am one works cited page away from having my term paper completed (let's hear it for starting early! Woohoo!) so I will be headed up north, albeit not with the yahoos on I-75. Our place is at the tip of the thumb (foreign reference for those of you not from Michigan or the Midwest, I'm sure, but look at a map of Michigan), so we head up M-53 - 2 hours and 15 minutes max - I love it. It's supposed to be nice and toasty, so I'll probably get in some boating time, taking it down to visit my cousin, seeing if he'll take me out SKIING for the first time this year. Yay!
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

Sending smiles to all of you on this lovely day! It's a nice mild one here in Wisconsin -- sunny and soon-to-be 70ish. I LOVE this part of the summer when things are relatively calm and cooler. They're predicting rain and excessive heat for next week (ALL week), so I'm cherishing this bit while we have it.

Not many plans for the weekend -- dinner plans with a friend tonight, and then work on the house (and hopefully a morning at the farmer's market) for the rest of the weekend. I'm grateful to be able to take things slow and easy -- I'm getting over an EVIL summer cold that I picked up earlier this week... and so anything more than relaxed would probably have me in a tizzy.

Molli - Have fun at that wedding! I hope the weather is perfect and that all goes well!!

Peggy - Will be keeping you (and your friend) in mind... hopefully you'll have a fun weekend at the lake, and will come back relaxed and refreshed.

Leigh- Have fun with your reappointment package All that bureaucratic University paperwork can sure take it out of you... so I'm wishing you well! Hopefully you can get it all done so that it doesn't shadow your weekend.

Also a big HEY! to Debie and Sue and Muriel... and all of you who I've either missed or who came while I was typing!!

Oh -- and Sue - Being the young one that I am , I have to say that your concert choice doesn't date you quite as much as the admission that you made about not being able to stay awake!! I'm crossing my fingers for you!!
    It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it. --Julia Child
    BURP! Where Food Happens

Lakelady glad you decided to delurk. Join in anytime.

jjsooner glad to hear Harley is doing pretty well. Wow 14 lbs this month! He has a mom who loves him!

Also I think it is great you work at that camp! Very nice of you to go and meet the new conselor early, sometimes it stinks to be the new person so that's nice of you to welcome them ahead of time.

Helene Yay for doubling the storage space! Does it look so nice and organized? What is happening with your garden? Did you replant or just give up on this year?

Hi Natasha, Betha and Lori.

Lori how is the dr coming along?
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

Originally posted by Peggy C.
    Lori how is the dr coming along?
    *cough*
    *cough*

Um.. Peggy... did you ask about the dining room??? *ducking and blushing*

I'm putting that job on the list again for this weekend. We ended up spending last weekend furniture shopping -- and I did buy a LOVELY buffet that looks great in the dining room. But I need to get to work on that wallpaper!! Hopefully things will work out so that we can get it done on Saturday
    It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it. --Julia Child
    BURP! Where Food Happens

I knew I was forgetting something...

Molli,
    I read your post and forgot to respond. Al would think that's typical behavior for me, and he's probably right too.

Have fun at the wedding and enjoy the book.

Lakelady,
    Maybe you can find a good book to get lost in. Have a nice weekend.

Jen,
    The camp sounds fun and rewarding. What ages of children do you work with.

Peggy,
    I'll take pictures. Promise. We will need a storm door. If we can get a deal from a salesman we'll wait and buy it from him. If he can't get us one we'll get it this weekend at Home Despot (er..Depot). The new door is wood so we have to have the storm door. I really don't want to wait for a storm door. I want to have the front door open, see the kids, and not air condition the whole world.

That's tough situation at your work.

Helene & Natasha,
    I've sent Al your comments. I'll let you know what he says!

Helene,
    Yeah about the pantry.

Bethany,
    Good for you on finishing your paper early. Have fun on the lake.

Lorilei,
    I just emailed my boss the packet. She's not her today, but she'll get it tomorrow. Yes, all that paperwork is a pain in the you know what!

Leigh

Leigh - A good book is the right idea. I have the Clinton book and will pick up Harry Potter tomorrow . . . It can officially be a FANTASY weekend with both books
    Work is the ruin of the drinking classes.

Lori a new buffet? I love descriptions of furniture almost as much as food and clothing. (read my signature line)

Leigh How is the new van by the way. (oh and Hi Al, please don't read how many posts I have )
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

Peggy,
    It's nice. It's just a 2000 model of the same van. They have made very minor changes since it came out in 1999. It runs well and we did get it from a dealer. But, I'm going to get our mechanic to look at it on the 30th. We've never looked for a mechanic near the house, but Dad's been using this guy for years...the only problem is his shop is an hour away (at least). We're also going to get him to look at Al's explorer and fix that.

Leigh

Good morning all!

I thought summer had finally decided to stick around, but we're back to rainy days here. The forecast keeps changing - yesterday it said the sun would come out Sunday, and now it's calling for thunderstorms again We're still going to the shore though - DBF and I will leave tomorrow morning after the gym, and we're babysitting my 1 y.o. cousin tomorrow night. DBF asked me if we could take him for a walk to get ice cream tomorrow night - he loves that little kid! And we're hoping it will be nice on Sunday - Debie, like you mentioned, I'm looking too pale for mid-June!

Peggy - I'm sure the mood at work isn't so great right now. Hopefully the weekend at the lake will cheer you up. And I agree with Molli - it might just be upsetting for your friend to talk about his wife's condition. But I do think it was wise of you to re-think planning a group excursion.

Muriel - Enjoy your weekend away too! I'm not sure how your drive will be, but I've realized leaving for the shore on Friday afternoons will always take double the amount of time

Sue - Good luck on carrying out the surprise! My parents are both turning 50 at their next birthdays - I've been thinking that it calls for a big celebration too!

Molli and Karen - Have fun at your parties (if a wedding can be generalized as a 'party,' that is) this weekend!

Jennifer - Not too bad, three down, one to go, right? So does that mean you'll get a full week with him before you have to go up and meet his family? DBF came with me to celebrate Christmas Eve with my family, after we had only been dating 4 months - everyone commented on how brave he was, since my (extended) family is HUGE! He had already done the hard part - meeting my parents - but it was still a shock to meet so many people at once. So basically, I just wanted to wish you good luck - big families are FUN!

Leigh - You're almost at 5000, no wonder Al was shocked! I agree with Helene - tell him he should at least pop in and say hello if he's going to be snooping around in here.

And hello and happy Friday to everyone else!
    Kristin

Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut.

Lori a new buffet? I love descriptions of furniture almost as much as food and clothing. (read my signature line)
    I've been sitting here trying to figure out how to describe it to you. It's not a HUGE buffet -- probably 2' wide by 4-5' long. It's a relatively simple design -- a 2-door, 2-drawer model, with the body stained in a gorgeous burgundy-purple. The top of it is a natural-hardwood finish with gorgeous grain.

I have a feeling it will look lovely with the wallpaper
    BURP! Where Food Happens

Kristin,

Don't scare me! I have 4100 posts not 4900. Hey, I type and read fast too.

Enjoy your ice cream night!

Leigh

Originally posted by lorilei

I've been sitting here trying to figure out how to describe it to you. It's not a HUGE buffet -- probably 2' wide by 4-5' long. It's a relatively simple design -- a 2-door, 2-drawer model, with the body stained in a gorgeous burgundy-purple. The top of it is a natural-hardwood finish with gorgeous grain.

I have a feeling it will look lovely with the wallpaper
    Wow it sounds cool. So since it is a stain you can still see wood grain through the color? Very bold!

Kristin that is cute about your DBF wanting to take your cousin for ice cream! Very sweet!
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

Greetings all! I haven't made it onto the klatch in ages, I've actually been having to do work! (shocker!)

This weekend looks sunny, hot, and humid... yep, sounds like summer in TX to me. We really need more rain, though. We got a little this week, which helped, but we are still in a pretty significant deficit for the year.

We don't have any big plans for tonight, I don't know what we'll end up doing. Tomorrow we are heading down to Galveston to a beach party - we have a couple of friends who rented a house for the week last week and are having a bunch of people down for the day tomorrow. It should be a good time. The Galveston beach isn't as nice as many other Gulf Coast beaches, but hey, it's the water!

TOday we are also going to confirm our flights for Greece! Wahoo! We've committed to it now, no more of this "We are thinking about going to Greece" business!

Hi Peggy, and Molli, and Sandy, and Debi, and Lori, and (do all of our names end with an "ee" sound?) Leigh, and Kristin (whoops, there's one that doesn't), and Natasha, and Sue, and Helene, and ... oh gosh, I know I've forgotten people! Hello to all of you!
    We figured there was too much happiness here for just the two of us, so we figured the next logical step was to have us a critter.

- H.I. McDunnough, "Raising Arizona"
    --------------------------------------------------
    Ask me about Kelly's Kids children's clothes!

Wow it sounds cool. So since it is a stain you can still see wood grain through the color? Very bold!
    Yes, you can still see the grain -- though the main body of the unit is pretty dark, so it's less visible there than on the top, where the finish is clear and the grain is the main feature. We both really like it... now let's hope it matches once the wallpaper is up!!

Rebecca - So nice to see you're back!! You've been missed.

I hope your weekend turns out just great... though I can't envision how it won't, with that TRIP on your minds I must admit to a whole lot of jealousy... the Greek Isles is one of my dream trips. So, I'm looking forward to living vicariously. Is that ok?
    BURP! Where Food Happens

Peggy--I have felt so mean, like I'm almost starving Harley when I see him scavenge food from around the dog food bucket. . But for his health, it's worth it.

Leigh--The camp is ages 7-15, boys and girls, but my cabin last year (and I assume this year) are 13. I was terrified last year, as my experiences have all been with younger kids, but our kids were really pretty great. I should have some of the same ones this year. It's kids with cancer (or in remission), so there are some who need quite a bit of help, but then there are those typical early teen boy-crazy girls to.

Kristin-It'll be right at 4 months when I meet his family. He gets home next Fri or Sat, but leaves on Sunday to go home. I'll drive up the following Thurs and stay until Sat. I'm going to spend a night at my parent's house on the way up and on the way back (and leave their Grand-Dog with them). His parents are quite a bit older than mine, and his siblings are all at least 12 years older, so I imagine they are fairly protective. Thanks for the good luck wishes!
    And have fun babysitting w/ your DBF. How great that he likes kids. I'm wishing some sunny weather your way!
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

Good Morning, everyone! I'm just popping in for a bit - I think I am going to go back to bed for a little while. I had to get up and drive DH up to catch the bus for work. I am feeling pretty sleepy.

Peggy, have fun at the lake this weekend. I'm sorry to hear about your friend and your situation at work.

Leigh, have fun with the new front door and at the pool.

Lori, your buffet sounds nice, and I'm sure the dining room will look nice once its done.

Molli, have fun at the wedding. It has been a long time since I've been to a wedding since most of our friends are married. I think the last invitation we got was almost a year ago. There for a while, it seemed like we were going to weddings on a monthly basis. Now everyone is having babies

Sue, have fun with the birthday party. My parents both turn 60 next year (my Dad in Feb and my Mom in Dec) so I thought it would be fun to have a surprise party for both of them in the summer. Neither of them would see it coming.

I know I am forgetting some people - Hello to all of you!

Last night DH fixed a corner of our front porch. The corner of the porch had settled and had caused a column and part of the roof of the porch to sag. It had created a little opening where birds were getting in and building nests (YUCK! ) and so he took that part of the porch apart and pulled all of the nesting material plus one dead bird out. I was inside the house for much of this, since it was really dusty and nasty and he didn't want all that blowing in my face (or in his face either, but I was holding the ladder and was more downwind)

Anyway, he got a long piece of wood and got the car jack out of my car and used it to prop the roof of the porch back up while he fixed the column. It had sunk about 1 1/2 inches. Now we have to repaint the porch, so we're going to go to home depot tonight to get the paint and some other things he needs to finish up the trim, etc.

Tomorrow there is a small CL gathering in Denver at lunchtime, so I am going to go to that. I don't really know what all we're going to do, but it should be fun.

Tomorrow is also DH's great-aunt's 94th birthday, so we're going to have dinner with her. I am making her some mini-cheesecakes since she has an afternoon snack of ice cream and graham crackers, I thought that might be a nice change. I'll cut them into pieces and freeze them so she can defrost them one piece at a time.

This weekend I also am going to be looking for plane tickets to go to Chicago to visit my Grandpa. He had a stroke a month or so ago, and is now in a nursing home. He had spent some time in a rehab hospital, but was not making progress so he had to leave. He's been in the nursing home for about 2 weeks. I talked to my Mom the other night and she said that she really thought I should visit, since we just don't know what the future holds, and so I am going to try to go over the weekend of the 19th of July. I think my Mom will be visiting at that same time so I'll get to see her too.

That's about it for now - I will check back in later.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)