Community Message Boards

Thread: Buttermilk Praline recipe

Buttermilk Praline recipe

Thought this might get lost on the other thread, so her's the recipe I mentioned:

Buttermilk Pralines

2 c sugar
    1 tsp soda
    1 c buttermilk (do not use powder)
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 T butter
    2-1/2 C pecans

Line cookie sheets or large smooth surface with waxed paper.

In a large, heavy pan, combine sugar, soda, buttermilk and salt. Cook over medium heat to 210 degrees, stirring frequently and scraping pan. Add ba=utter and pecans and continue cooking and stirring until mixture reaches 234 degrees, about 5 minutes. Mixture will darken to similar to chocolate (this is not the light brown sugary type of praline in many Mexican restaurant).

Remove from heat and cool SLIGHTLY. Working quickly, drop by tablespoon onto waxed paper and cool completely. Store in an airtight container.

OOooooo...thank you Beth!!!!

By "soda", is that baking soda? Club soda? Just wanted to clarify this because knowing me, I'd get the wrong danged thing!!

*Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

Oh Thank you, thank you, I have such a sweet tooth. I saw you mention these on another thread this morning, and I hoped you'd post the recipe.I'll definately give them a try!

Yuuummmm. I love pralines. What kind of texture do these end up having? Have you ever added vanilla?

They sound delicious!
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

The soda is baking soda -- sorry for my shorthand.

These are clsoer to a sugary p[raline in texture, but a little bit on the creamy side. If they cool too much before you get them spooned out, they may get grainier. They are not the chewy type.

I have never added vanilla -- you could, but they really don't need it. The buttermilk, butter and pecans give these a very rich flavor. You'll be able to smell it as they cook -- you could always decide whether you wanted vanilla added as they cook. If so, add the vanilla when you take them off the heat.

Hope you all like them.