Community Message Boards

Thread: Ratio - whole graham crackers to crumbs??

Ratio - whole graham crackers to crumbs??

With all these cheesecake and s'mores threads, I've been thinking - does anyone know how many crumbs equal one whole graham cracker? It would be nice to convert a recipe if you only had one or the other on hand.

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

this is from foodsubs.com, but I don't know what they consider a "cracker" to be...

graham cracker crumbs Equivalents: 14 crackers = 1 cup crumbs.

we were discussing equivalencies on the strawberry tart thread. I will see if I can find it...

here is a few back and forth posts from that thread...

I made this today and it was great! I tried to use graham cracker crumbs...unsure of the equivalent I turned to Cooks THesaurus....it said that 16 crackers made a cup of crumbs...well, I took their word for it until I dumbed the not moist crumb mixture into my 9" tart pan...it was painfully obvious that this was WAY too much! So...ff to the store I went for my box of graham crackers. I can now tell you that if you wish to use boxed crumbs you will need 1 cup + 1/4 cup + 1 T of crumbs! I made the 36 crackers into crumbs and measured them! You also need 3/4 of an 8 ounce brick of light cream cheese. DOn't know why CL can't just say that! I baked the crust for 8 minutes and it was perfect. My glaze did not require straining but I let it puree for a while in my cusineart. I also think I read somewhere that if one wishes a cleared glaze it is better to use arrowroot than cornstarch.

I think the discrepancy lies in what they consider to be a cracker. I don't think they consider a full sheet to be a cracker.
    Here is what it sounds like to me...
    Since you determined that 9 sheets equals about 1 1/4 cups of crumbs, that means 8 sheets would be about 1 cup of crumbs. So when Cooks Thesaurus said 16 crackers make a cup of crumbs, they meant 16 half sheets.

Good point Val. I've seen recipes where a "cracker" is 1/4 of a sheet also. I have an old recipe that called for a package of graham crackers, but I am sure that the number of crackers in each package has changed in recent years. So I always go by how many cups of crumbs.

Your post made me smile. That's exactly what I meant! To me, a cracker is each individual piece you can break off according to the perforations. So a sheet is the whole thing, unbroken.

But I bet that different manufacturers make different amounts of crackers per sheet.

Sounds like time for a graham cracker manufacturer experiment...

Thanks for the info Val. I hadn't read that thread.

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.