Community Message Boards

Thread: Peeling skin on hands and feet?

Peeling skin on hands and feet?

My 11 year old DD has papery skin peeling off the soles of her feet and palms of her hands. At first I thought it was Athlete's foot, but it is not very red and it is not itchy. She swims a lot and wears flip flops so her feet are in the sun and fresh air. Some one said it might be a virus--she did feel tired about ten days ago but is fine now. Any ideas on what it is, and how to treat it?

My older son cannot wear sandals or flop flops for that same reason. It must be a reaction to the plastic or vinyl. He can only wear sandals lined with leather. Since these are hard to find for kids, he ends up wearing socks and running shoes all summer long. He toes begin to crack and bleed as a result of the sandals. My younger sister has the exact same problem as a child. Neither has the problem with their hands though.

The only virus I can think of that would cause that is Hand, Foot and Mouth. She would have had blisters on her palms and the soles of her feet, and also probably would have had blisters inside her mouth that would have been very painful, so if that didn't happen it probably wasn't HF&M. Maybe there is something else, though. Also, my DH has what his dermatologist calls "hand eczema" which makes the palms of his hands peel. He can keep it under control by not letting skin on his hands get to dry but if it gets bad and starts peeling alot he has to use lotion with some sort of steroid in it.

Claire

My younger brother's palms and soles use to peel, worse in the summer months. Sorry that page didn't link very well. Here is an explanation of what I was linking to:

Keratolysis Exfoliativa

This is peeling of the skin of the palms and soles, most common during the summer months and often associated with sweaty palms and soles. Scaling starts simultaneously from several points on the palms or soles with 2 or 3 mm in diameter round scales that appear to have originated from ruptured vesicles; however, such vesicles are never seen. The scales continue to peel and extend peripherally, forming larger roughly circular areas that resemble ringworm, while the central area become slightly red and tender. The condition resolves in 1 to 3 weeks and requires no therapy other than lubrication.

Note: a cream with silicone will help as a barrier.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Hmmm -- it's not the flip flops as that wouldn't account for the hands, plus she wears a variety of styles so I don't think it's an allergy.

Sneezles --- you are a genius!!! I checked out that weird named disease on Google, and that is exactly what she has!! Only problem is there doesn't seem to be much cure or treatment for it. And of course, the dermatologist usually has a 2 month waiting list for appointments. But at least I know what it is. One site says to use creams that contain urea, lactic acid or silicone -- guess I'll have to go read some labels.....
    Last edited by ewatkins; 06-26-2003 at 09:05 PM.

I'm pretty sure I have that - what Sneezles posted.

I've had it come and go for quite some time. I've never been to a doctor for it because it always goes away. I just researched it about a week ago and pretty much came to the conclusion that it is Keratolysis Exfoliativa. It basically looks like round scaly areas mostly on my palms, some on my fingers.

I haven't really documented when it usually happens, but the research says it happens in the summer - and i've got it right now. It can be sometimes itchy and sometimes kind of painful - especially if you pick at the scaling off skin. It will go away, and it will come back and it doesn't seem like there's a whole lot you can do about it....

DD has picked away at her feet so they are in bad shape. I read every label in the drugstore but none had the ingredients suggested. One web site said to try cortisone cream, but another one said it does no good. Apparently it will go away in 1-3 weeks, and then likely come back. We have an appt with the pediatrician on Monday...

My DH has the same problem with his feet. He wears workboots all day long and part of the evenings. He's tried foot powders, lotions, etc. It seems more prevalant in the summer months.
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

One thing i have noticed that seems to be helping some this time around is shea butter. I don't think anything will really stop the peeling but I've been putting the shea butter on every night lately and it really doesn't look or feel as bad as it has in the past.