Community Message Boards

Thread: a tickle feeling like a feather-fuzz ball in the back of my throat?

Question a tickle feeling like a feather-fuzz ball in the back of my throat?

for the past year or two (that i can remember) i occasionally have this feeling like there is a small feather in the back of my throat. it is slightly right of center, and feels small. it feels like i swallowed a piece of hair or have a little fuzz ball (or feathery thing) back there. it happens maybe every few months and only lasts for a few days, if that.

after searching on the web on sites like webmd.com, all that comes up are sites about asthma or the common cold. but i do not have either of these to my knowledge. there are no other symptoms. i do not feel tightening of the chest. i do not feel like i am suffocating. i do not feel shortness of breath. i do not feel a sore throat or swollen glands. i feel and look completely normal, except for this feathery sensation. it does not hurt at all, and sometimes i can even forget that it is there. it is just more annoying if anything, especially when i am lying in bed trying to fall asleep. i really notice it then.

i have looked at my throat with a flashlight and pressed my tongue down to see if there was anything there. there seems to be no redness.

please dont laugh, but the first time i felt this, my thoughts were that i swallowed a spider in my sleep. i heard once that we swallow "x" amount of spiders a year in our sleep and the first time i noticed this, it was in the morning after waking up from sleeping. i was sure that i somehow swallowed a spider and that it was lodged in my throat. not sure if this matters, but it usually does first happen in the morning time. i notice it when i wake up and it will last anywhere between a few hours to a few days at most.

has anybody had a similar experience or knowledge on this subject? i hate doctors and feel silly calling about something like this when it may be nothing. this is just so odd and i want to know what is causing it.

i do have a very furry dog, but i doubt i am inhaling her fur?!

Allergies?? My first guess. Did you get a new pillow when this started? Or new bedding?

Debie
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

My vote is for allergies. You can develop them anytime in life. You could try an OTC allergy medicine like Claritin and see if that helps. Whether it does or not, though, if it's bothering you maybe you should see the doc.
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

Allergies most definitely cause a "tickle" in the back of the throat when they first start. If you have them for years, then your throat can feel red/raw and sore from the post-nasal drip.

Mention it to your doc on your next physical to give you peace of mind.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Sunberst - I have the EXACT same problem and am too embarrased to call the doctor. I have cats that shed like mad, and I have long hair (and a very bad habit of chewing on it when I'm concentrating - nasty I know, but I can't control myself). I always thought it was related to all the hair around my house. It is annoying though. I'm paranoid about throat cancer (I quit smoking over two years ago, and the problem didn't start until AFTER I quit). I've never had allergies, but maybe that is what it is (no sneezing or red eyes though). I don't have any advice for you, but I just want you to know you are not alone!

Valerie

I'm pretty sure it is allergies!!

I too have this problem on and off. Mine is a tickle that causes me to cough (Quite a bit at times) in an effort to stop it. This year was terrible - so finally I went to the allergist - who is having me come back in at another time -(Her office didn't tell me not to take claritin that morning - apparently it can block the reaction to tests . . .)

But, she is pretty sure that the tickle is an allergy - in me - we think it might be mold spores. No cure for me has been discovered - simply more water at the time of an itch. :-)

glad to know that i am not alone!

i really wouldnt call it a "tickle" though. i have had tickle sensations when i have had a cold that was accompanied by a sore throat, and did indeed tickle. this is different than that. this is more, literally, like a furr ball, feather or hair/fuzz thing.

nothing else is different besides this. no redness, or sneezing or sore throat. i just feel like i want to cough it up like a cat does a hair ball. it feels very small, but still is annoying at times. still feeling it today.

DmOrtega Guest

Re: a tickle feeling like a feather-fuzz ball in the back of my throat?

Originally posted by sunberst
    please dont laugh, but the first time i felt this, my thoughts were that i swallowed a spider in my sleep. i heard once that we swallow "x" amount of spiders a year in our sleep and the first time i noticed this, it was in the morning after waking up from sleeping. i was sure that i somehow swallowed a spider and that it was lodged in my throat. not sure if this matters, but it usually does first happen in the morning time. i notice it when i wake up and it will last anywhere between a few hours to a few days at most.

I too often think about this, because of an email that was going around last year. This topic has started quit a few lively conversations at work also. Funny how things stick with us. (no pun intended )