Community Message Boards

Thread: BFL Support?

BFL Support?

So, I'm on day 3 of my 12 week program and am wondering if there is room for another support thread! Any takers? I know there are several other exercise/healthy eating threads, but BFL is so specific that I thought it might be nice to have a thread devoted to just that.

I'll go ahead and start. I started the program on Monday, but it wasn't a good start. One of my big problems is that I don't like egg dishes, and I'm not fond of cottage cheese at all, so I'm really hurting for morning protein items. I decided to try and eat some oatmeal (which I also don't like - I swear I'm not as picky as I sound) with a scoop of protein powder and literally had to eat the last two spoonfuls over the sink. Ugh! For M2 I had a protein shake made with vanilla powder, coffee, and skim milk. Double ugh! The rest of the day went better though, as have the last couple of days. However, I feel like I'm eating too much! I guess that's just because I'm not hungry anymore. I do have to say that the choc/pb pudding concoction that Jeanne posted is wonderful! I made it on day 1, but I poured all of the ingredients into my immersion blender cup at once and they never got very mixed up. I made it again last night by blending the water and cottage first, then the protein powder, then peanut butter, then pudding, and it was sooooooooo much better! I'm going to try some variations on this theme.

As far as the workouts go, I've so far only done an upper body workout and a cardio workout (treadmill). I'm so used to working out for at least an hour that it's hard to have faith that this seemingly small amount of exercise will do the job. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

How is everyone else doing?
    Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be.

-Grandma Moses

go for it abby!

I'll join in! I'm currently in the middle of week 10..yahoo! And I have to say I'm feeling/seeing more results now than I was the first 9 weeks...everyone sees it in a different place. It will take a few challenges, but I'll get there!

Did you try the shannycakes? I did them as muffins so I could do more than a serving at once (bake at 350 for 20 minutes 2 per serving)...yum! I'm telling you..this is my breakfast/nightime saving grace!!!! And I like cottage cheese

the shakes are better with fruit...if you have a powder that's just protein, added fruit counts as your carb.

The cardio is an adjustment. I'll post a couple articles I have found along the way on working out. I'm by no means an expert, but I have found some great reads on the definition of "10's" etc. I was so skeptical before, but I'm a true believer now of 1)less cardio, more weights and 2)splitting up the days (never cardio/weights at the same time).

And just warning you, there is a "slump" period. Most people complain during week 6/7 of feeling run down, tired etc. It does pass if you work through it

JeAnne
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

- Spike, "Something Blue"

My lil site:
    http://greysangel.wordpress.com

REPOST - Liz's definition of 10s (BFL 101 board)

CARDIO - You need to play with speed and resistance. I'm going to base this on using a stationary bike - I don't use the treadmill cuz my knees can't handle it yet (too heavy). If you are peddling really fast and it is easy, your resistance is too low. If you feel like you are doing a LBWO the resistance is too high. You want to be in between these two. Also, I find cardio much harder to define intensities for than weights.

Level 5 - basically I think of riding around with my friends as a kid. I'm not doing the cycle in the park deal - that is for grandmothers and three year olds. This is cardio. You want to get your heart rate up. I say biking with friends as a kid, cuz you were usually going somewhere with a purpose - not racing, but not piddling around either.

Level 6 - take it up a notch - either resistance or pedal speed (I go up in resistance). I usually start to sweat here. This depends on your fitness level and how much you sweat though. You should start to get in a groove here. You aren't actually working hard yet. You just feel like you are doing some good physical activity. You start to feel that happy exercise feeling.

Level 7 - Now you are working. For me I increase resistance and try to maintain same pedal speed (it usually drops a bit). You are sweating. You are breathing rhythmically at this point. It is starting to get difficult.

Level 8 - Again, up a notch. During this minute it will become difficult and your legs should start to burn. Your breathing should speed up. Usually I need to wipe my brow here cuz the sweat is starting to drip down my face (the first 8 in the workout, from this point on I am constantly wiping).

Level 9 - Your legs should burn for the whole minute. Breathing requires concentration at this point. By the end of this minute you should be praying for the 1 minute of rest. As in the last 10 seconds should be the most you think you can do.

Quick interjection here - when I drop back down to a level 6, I actually go to a lower level resistance than I started at... this is to get my heart rate down. Basically I aim for having my heart rate recover from my 9 intensity level to my 7 intensity level by the end of this minute. During this level 6 minute I really concentrate on breathing and slowing my heart rate down. This is where I do the grandma in the park cycle. Then I bring it right back up to the same level 7 resistance level I used before. So, currently my resistance levels are the same as my intensities. I go 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 3, 7, 8, 9, 3, 7, 8, 9, 3, 7, 8, 9, 9, 5 and then an additional minute at 3, and another minute at 1 to bring my heart rate down to starting level. I just pedal faster at a level 9 resistance to get my 10. These are my resistance levels - remember that yours may be higher or lower.

Level 10 - So the last 10 seconds of level 9 should be the most you think you can do. Now you have reached the give it your all minute. Basically at the end of the level 9 minute you should want to stop because your legs are really burning (and your energy is gone on the one just before the 10 intensity). But you continue to do it... the mental game starts here. I know I am at a level 10 when I can't get enough air in. This does NOT mean gasping. This means you are totally focused on your breathing (this helps to ignore the pain you are feeling in your legs as well). Your chest is tight, because no matter how deeply you breathe... you are taking in tons of air... you can't get enough. This is where you go anaerobic (sp?)... your body can't get the oxygen it needs so it starts using other means to get energy. I feel major major major burn for the first 30 seconds, then the last minute is talking to myself to keep going. Basically every push of your leg on the pedal requires extreme effort.

WEIGHTS - I can be much more specific here I think. Quick note to all the women reading this. We are NOT going to the gym to do toning. We are NOT going to the gym to move some weights around. We are going to the gym to lift weights as a body builder does. Don't give me the "I'll bulk up" (you won't - not enough testosterone), "Only men should body build" (anyone can), "It's not lady-like" (who cares - are you worrying about what people think, or do you want your ideal body?!?!) I say this because I think women have a real problem with lifting weights. Get yourself in a mindset before you even set foot in the gym (you know, on the way there, you should be doing this). On weight days your mindset should be - I am a body builder. This will really help you lift like you are supposed to, and not like women tend to do. This is muscle day - cardio is fat loss day (you will still burn fat from this workout, but this is totally irrelevant to how you should be setting your mindset). On muscle day you are going to push your muscles to the limit.

Level 5 - this should not be easy to lift. There should be some resistance here. Imagine a heavy door that you have to push fairly hard to open - that is the resistance that I seek for a level 5, and you should feel this resistance by the 6th rep in this set at the latest. I aim for it on the first rep. If you don't feel it by the 6th, you're not lifting enough!

Level 6 - I like to think of myself as a machine here. I imagine I am a machine that opens and closes that stiff door. There should be constant resistance up and down (don't forget the down movement!)Difference here is that as a person, that stiff door just needs a bit of momentum to open, as a machine, I need constant effort to move it.. up down up down.... control is important.

Level 7 - This is starting to get hard. You have to push a bit to get the last two reps out. Overall feeling should be that the set was challenging.

Level 8 - You should feel burn by now for sure. This set you should be going all out - concentration required. You suddenly realize that gravity can be your friend - it's not. Control that down movement! You should feel like you can't hold the weight up during the down phase - force yourself to go slow. It's only 6 reps for crying out loud. This set should be hard for you.

Level 9 - Every rep should burn, burn, burn. At six you don't want to do any more. You start the mental game here. For me it is a countdown. The last two I struggle to boot out. Struggle means sometimes I need to rest a couple seconds to get 11 and 12 off. If you are not struggling to get the last couple in, you are at a 7 or an 8. This level is not challenging, it is not hard, it is really really really difficult.

Level 10 - Ok. Do one. It should require all of your physical strength. Convince yourself to do another. Your body at this point says "no more". Wrong. By the fourth rep you should be talking to yourself and/or have imaginary friends. Yes, lose your mind in this last set. Maybe Bill's talking to you, maybe you're yelling at yourself to do better (as I do), maybe you just get angry and go for it... do SOMETHING to make yourself do two or three more. Now you are about halfway done. Hurray! Mini-accomplishment. The end is nearer now! That usually helps get six and/or seven out. Right about now you are saying I can't I can't I can't. Make it a mission to do one more. Bill or yourself are starting to yell/encourage more loudly. Try to get up to ten this way. You probably want to rest really badly here - actually you probably wanted to rest really badly after 6, now you think you are going to die if you can't stop for a minute. I think the key is to not give in. Dig deep. Somewhere inside you have strong will. Master the stack - don't let it master you! Now if you can only get off 10 reps FANTASTIC!! It is better to fail to do 12, than to be able to do more than 12. And if you do exactly 12, there should be a nagging in the back of your mind - was one more possible, or did I just stop here cuz it was the end? Anyway, grunting is beneficial during this set. When you have exhausted yourself totally mentally and physically, take a five second break and try to do one more. If you lift it, then do it again, cuz you haven't reached a 10 yet. Keep doing this until you absolutely cannot do it, even though you have rested, are grunting, are straining, yelling at and talking to yourself (try not to do this out loud) etc etc. At the end of this rep you should want to just lay there and die. That is why there is two minutes rest between muscle groups. One minute to lay there and die, one minute to haul your butt over to the next machine and do it all over again baby!

Hope this helps... it really is hard to explain precisely =)
    Liz
    "Comfy? I'm chained in a bathtub drinkin' pig's blood from a novelty mug. Doesn't rank huge in the Zagut's Guide."

My lil site:

Thanks Jeanne for the great article. I did the lower body workout this evening, and I am already sore (only 5 hours later!). It seemed to be much harder than the upper body workout. Cardio is tomorrow, and I'm going to try and kick it up a notch as my first cardio workout wasn't all that great. I'll definitely think about the things in the article that you posted while I'm running.

Maybe I'll have Shannycake muffins for breakfast tomorrow morning!

-Grandma Moses

I'm going on vacation next week, but I'll be starting BFL when I get back. The article was great, Jeanne. It really helps me visualize what I should be doing.

Okay, Abby, I'm counting on you to be my inspiration, since you'll be two weeks ahead of me! No pressure!
    If this is the worst thing that happens all year, I think I can deal with it!

Hi everyone, lurker here. I am eagerly awaiting to see how all of you feel about the program once you have gone through at least one challenge. I am currently training for 1/2 marathon, and BFL just doesn't seem compatible with the type of cardio I need to be doing right now (except for my speed workouts that I do once a week). But once the 1/2 is over, I think I will sign up for a challenge. For me, it is not so much the weight, although ideally I would like to weight about 10 pounds less, but more about the look of being strong, toned, and defined.

Laura,

Go for it. I think you'll find that the strength training will help with your running endurance. As far as incorporating BFL, even on the longer runs just try speeding up a little for short periods of time - not to the 9 level because you are going for endurance - but maybe from a level 6 to an 8 or so.
    The best sound is that of someone laughing in their sleep.

Mary, your thinking is pretty much what I was thinking over the weekend. I may not be doing the cardio per se, but I found myself using my 1/2 marathon training as an excuse not to do BFL. I think I am afraid of failing on the program. But then I started thinking, I don't want to wait 12 weeks (until my 1/2 is over) to start being the person I want to be, I want to start working on that person now. I will continue to do speed and hill workouts as part of my marathon training program, and maybe try to incorporate some fartleks into my longer runs. So... tomorrow is the first day for me!

I have a question, the online weight training schedule makes it seem like you only do ab work on the days you do your lower body weights. Am I reading that right, if so, do you all do that or do you incorporate abs on other days. I have a weak lower back so I try and do some form of ab work every day. I would like to continue that, but don't want to throw too many wrenches into the program.

Laura, I would say you are doing more cardio than the program requires, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that. Just so long as you try to get some intervals in, you're getting the benefit - its the staying in a "comfort zone", that is what you want to work past.

As for ab work, I typically only do it with the lower body workouts but again if your body is conditioned to doing something every day, I wouldn't stop that. You want though, to perhaps do a different type of ab work on your lower body days. For example, if you're doing sit ups or something like that normally, try using the cable machine and pulling weight, or use the ab machines with weights on them (however much or little weight it takes to work the muscles and yet maintain the form). The one set I add on the lower body days is the ab and adductor machines (inner and outer thighs). (And that suggestion came from Terry. )

Since this is a support thread, I need some support! I did ok for my first week - ate pretty well and on plan and worked out 6 days, but this week isn't starting out so well! I think it's mainly due to my failure to plan very well and a certain little 17 week old baby girl who takes up quite a bit of time! I missed my lower body workout yesterday, so I am thinking about doing lower body and cardio today to catch up. Also, I am having a difficult time eating 6 times a day! When I do find the time to eat M2, 4 or 6, I'm usually not hungry. Regardless of all of my woes, I'm going to keep trucking! Those before and after pics in the book are pretty motivating!

How is everyone else doing?

Laura - I've been thinking that I want to incorporate a bit more ab work into my program. Doing abs on lower body days just doesn't seem like enough.

Tami - I'm sure that I'm not very inspirational right now! Good luck with your program though.

-Grandma Moses

Abby, the great thing about this (IMO) is that every day is a new day. Don't focus on what you didn't do, start today and say "I am going to try to get the meals in and get my workout in." In the beginning, the planning really helps because then during the day you're not searching to come up with something. I think Phillips (or someone) says failing to plan means you're planning to fail.

Give the little one a hug, don't worry over missing a day, and smile.

Hey Abby!

Mary is right as far as thinking ahead. Progress, not perfection If you want to make up for it and have the time, than do weights first followed by cardio. However you may just want to use that as your "rest" day and try to do the rest of the week as structured. Once you start charging up those muscles, you'll find you will be ready for each meal...I know I am! Planning is definitely key. I try to plan my food and workouts the night before. I have my workout right at my bedside so when I crack my eyes open, it's the first thing I see. That usually is all the incentive I need to get my booty out of bed.

Just a side note on the pictures in the book...DO NOT LET THEM DISCOURAGE YOU!!!! I know they are inspirational, however they can be pretty darn depressing when you get to week 8 and wonder where your chiseled abs are Those pictures are real people, but they are selected from hundreds of people submitting pictures. They are the exception, not the rule. For a more well rounded view of the transformations, check out boards like leanandstrong.com or bfl yahoo groups where you can look at the pics. There are some serious transformations, however most people take more than one challenge to achieve those results.

Now I'm in the middle of week 11 and I am just cruising towards the finish line!!! My slump is over and I'm feeling good!!! I had a woman tell me I was looking great at the gym today and though it's hard to see huge differences, there are definitely some there! This week I haven't even been obsessing about my free meal so I think that's a good sign too! I'm ready for the next challenge...the end of which will be my vacation so that's all the incentive I need

JeAnne

My lil site:

Thanks Mary! Good advice! I'm already in a rut as far as things that I'm eating. I really need to plan on making some good CL/BFL friendly recipes rather than tuna in a can, grilled chicken, yogurt, etc. I really want this to work!

-Grandma Moses

Jeanne - We must have been posting at the same time! I think I will just make yesterday my free day (even though I didn't eat anything good). Thanks for the advice! I bet it feels great to get compliments like that at the gym - makes it all worthwhile. I've looked at the pictures on your website and am always absolutely amazed at your accomplishments. You should be so proud of yourself! Are you going straight to another challenge or taking a break in between?

-Grandma Moses

abby- I'm going to take a couple of days off, but not a whole week.

Also just as a side note, I don't think it says anywhere in the book that you have to take your day off from the gym the same day as your free food day. In fact I try not to Going to the gym somehow gives me the incentive to make better food choices. I also like having the flexibility of choosing a rest day from the gym. I just keep the workout order the same so that everything is getting plenty of rest.

JeAnne

My lil site:

Originally posted by greysangel
    Also just as a side note, I don't think it says anywhere in the book that you have to take your day off from the gym the same day as your free food day. In fact I try not to Going to the gym somehow gives me the incentive to make better food choices. I also like having the flexibility of choosing a rest day from the gym. I just keep the workout order the same so that everything is getting plenty of rest.
    In all honesty, this was the one part of the program I never really understood. I guess the thinking was that if you are going to take a rest day, then you may as well get one with a rest from the exercise as well as the food requirements. However, if you do the exercise, it raises your metabolic rate and that means your body consumes more calories. So why would you want to eat more calories on a day you're not exercising???

I often end up switching the actual day I get the cardio or strnegth training in because some days I just can't get the exercise in (I just chalk that up as a rest day for exercise that week and pick up the next day with whatever was scheduled the day before.) For example, if on a Tuesday I can't get the cardio in, Wednesday becomes cardio, Thursday strength, Friday cardio, Saturday strength and Sunday cardio. The trick is to try to maintain six workouts a week.

Last, although I try to get my workouts in early in the morning, I'm not always successful. I have had to tell myself that it is fine if I do it some other time that day. Today, I blew off my morning run, but my girls wanted to go to the gym (to the kids area) so I got mine in at almost 5:00 p.m.

Well, I didn't get to the library, so I haven't officially started the program, but I am doing the exercise part (albeit a day late, I meant to start Monday, but was too tired to start the weight lifting program). I ran intervals on the track last night, and today I am doing lower body weights.

I was telling a friend about this program, and she too is interested. She is built a lot like me, but had difficulty building muscle. I think she is waiting to see if there is any transformation in my physique before she signs on; I am really hoping I see them as well.

Hey how's everyone doing?!?! I've got two days left!! One day of eats, 1 cardio and 1 leg workout ..woo hoo!

J

My lil site:

Oh man...........I've really fallen off of the wagon. My food hasn't been all that bad, but last week I didn't get in ANY cardio! I did all of my weight workouts, but that's it! This week isn't any better because my husband has been out of town, and I have an 18 week old baby, so I've really had my hands full. Despite all of this, I'm down about 3 pounds since I started the program.
    I've vowed to recommit at the beginning of next week. I may even start over at week 1. I know I can do this, I'm just having a real hard time planning and getting everything in with a semi-new baby stealing all of my attention.

Jeanne - Congrats on completing your first challenge! When will you start your next one? Have you seen a lot of improvement in your measurements?

-Grandma Moses

Abby- I think you should keep going with this challenge. It's a mental thing. If you start over again, the message that you are sending to your brain is that one bad moment/day/week equals failure and you have to start "clean". This isn't about perfection ...progress!

As to results...hmmm. Well next challenge I'm doing more measurements. I'm a bit disappointed because I didn't drop any sizes and I don't think the measurements will change much (i'll take them tomorrow). However, I guess I have to see where I've come from. 1)The pictures you see in the book are exceptional results, some from doing multiple challenges etc.. 2)I was already eating pretty well! I wasn't going from ho hos and twinkies to oatmeal and cottage cheese It's fine tuning. I've had about 4 people tell me in the past two weeks that I look good/am losing weight. My clothes look better and there is now clearly muscle definition when I flex. I'm not "cut" because I still have too much fat But when I flex, I see lines and bulges in the tris/bis/chest/back/quads. And my calves are looking awesome! So it's progress.

The next challenge I'm shooting for 100% effort again. I'm switching my free day to free meal...there were too many free days that were bingeathons for my liking. I do think that a day of binging can undo a week's worth of calorie deficit. So that's the plan and I think I will have more obvious results this next round as now I have the foundation set

I finish tomorrow and the next one I start on Monday. I was going to take a few days off, but there was a contest on a yahoo group for $$ so I decided to do it for added incentive After this one is over I'll have two weeks off...one week of light gym and points eating and one week in st lucia Because I'm going back to back, I'm changing up my routine a bit to try to keep the muscles guessing!'

How's that for a long answer?

JeAnne

My lil site:

so here are my results Not like the book pictures, but I see changes

http://www.greysangel.com/wwjeanne/jbfl1.html

My lil site:

Jeanne,
    Congratulations! I really appreciate your generosity and courage in always sharing your results. You are absolutely right that the change happens from the inside out, and it is happening to you! Please keep sharing.

Terri

JeAnne, I personally think you should be one of the Challenge winners. (You are already, but should be recognized as such.) When it happens, none of us here will be surprised and we can all say we "knew" you before.

aww ..thanks Mary! I did send away for the stuff for the official, but I never got it. Plus you have to use their supplements. I suppose I could get their glutamine

When I do get the packet, I'll send them whatever challenge I'm on at that time..hopefully by then I'll have some real muscles

I will say something clicked this weekend. Finishing the first challenge has just put some fire in my belly or something because I'm ready to rock ...and I thought I felt that way before! I just hope I can bottle this enthusiasm somehow I'm also psyched because I did pics for the second challenge the day after because I forgot the newpaper on Saturday. I can see clear tricep on that side shot. WOO HOO!

I read this quote on a yahoo group, "Every drop of sweat is your fat cells crying"! This morning I was chanting over and over "cry, little suckers, cry!!!"

I'm a psycho I know

JeAnne

My lil site:

JeAnne, I think you look amazing! I got side tracked from starting the program by my "vacation" this past week (I am not sure I count 5 days at a swim meet vacation, but I wasn't working. ). So while I will get back into the weights this week, I am officially starting next week once the kids go back to their dad for the last few weeks before school start.

Originally posted by greysangel

I read this quote on a yahoo group, "Every drop of sweat is your fat cells crying"! This morning I was chanting over and over "cry, little suckers, cry!!!"
    Oh--I like that! I am a total sweat hog, so I will keep this in mind!

anyone still doing BFL?

My lil site:

Still here, plugging away.

How's the second challenge going?

Mary - Just out of curiosity...how long have you been doing this? Does it feel like a lifestyle yet?

I feel awesome. I go from being down in the dumps about progress to being supremely motivated. The difference with this challenge and the last challenge I think is the whole "crossing the abyss" thing. Even in my "blue" moments, I haven't strayed from my eating clean plan and two controlled free days down, 10 more to go (which is my personal goal). My pants feel a little looser and the tummy and thigh skin is looking a little poochier, so I think some loss is on the way But nothing can beat the feeling of accomplishment of getting through the day having stuck to plan and worked hard at the gym.

Thanks for asking!

My lil site:

It has been just over a year. I started last July 1 and I would definitely say it's a lifestyle now. I am very consistent about the exercise and rarely go more than 2 days without doing it. (I am pretty consistently at 6, sometimes 7 days a week.) I am, however, not as strict about the food. Having said that, I can tell when I am "not on plan" enough because, even with the exercise, I find I will start gaining some back and that will motivate me to stay closer to the plan.