Community Message Boards

Thread: Why is my iced tea cloudy all of a sudden?

Unhappy Why is my iced tea cloudy all of a sudden?

I've always made iced tea the same way...I boil a saucepan full of water, and once it starts boiling I turn it off, remove the pan from the heat, and then drop in 5 or 6 tea bags. When it's cold, I mix with water in a pitcher and I have tea.

The last two times I've done this the tea in the pan is cloudy, and then the pitcher of tea is cloudy! It also tastes a bit odd, can't put my finger on the odd factor. The tea bags are the same, I used filtered water from my faucet as usual! Do any of you experts have any thoughts? ?
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

I have read that the best tea is made in non-metal containers. I always put my tea bags in a pitcher, pour the boiling water over it and put a saucer or something on top to steep for a few minutes. Some people think sun tea is the very best. You put your tea bags in a glass container and set it in the sun for 4 to 6 hours - usually start it in the morning and it is ready for dinner. It really is good and easy to make in Nevada!

From Fine Cooking #52
    "Be sure to let the tea cool at room temperature. Putting hot tea directly in the refridgerator will make it turn cloudy. To clear cloudy tea try adding a
    little boiling water."

I make tea the same way. this was something I'd wondered about until I've read this article.
    Karen

Jewel, you've probably thought of this, but are they fresh tea bags? Or ones that have been hanging about for a few months??

I'm so glad you posted, I've been wanting to make tea again but lost my sun tea jar, so you've given me a new technique!!

Debie
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

I use Luzianne family size bags. I use 2 for a 2 qt pitcher (which is plastic.) I bring the water to a boil, turn off the heat and drop my tea bags in. I steep it for 5 minutes and then pour it in the pitcher with a wee bit of sugar. Then I add ice to bring the total up to 2 qts and stir to dissolve the ice cubes. I have NEVER had Luzianne tea go cloudy. I make my tea in both metal and nonstick saucepans.

Try Luzianne. I think you'll be happy.

Bonnie

Thanks for the help everyone!

Sun Tea isn't usually an option, I live in Seattle. I've always let it cool at room temperature, not the fridge. I use a metal saucepan, but it's a nonstick...and it's the same saucepan I've been using for years! I'd love to try Bonnie's way, but I found a good tea blend that we love that is also CHEAP. Don't ask...it's a generic brand that is bagless and tagless, so I can grab 5 or 6 out of my canister and plop 'em in the water and be on my way. It's orange pekoe and cut pekoe black, the basic non-fancy tea blend. It's a fairly new box of bags, and the bags are kept in an antique pottery beanpot that I use as a canister out of the sunlight.

<sigh> I guess experiments are in order! I'll try different tea bags next time and still use the same saucepan, and pour the old tea bags in my four quart Pyrex measuring cup after I've boiled the water on the stove.

What's bugging me the most is that I have changed nothing about how I make iced tea in six or seven years, and suddenly this is happening! We drink iced tea all year long not just in summer!

Have we entered some weird parallel universe that is causing atmospheric changes or something!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~