Community Message Boards

Thread: tea/finger sandwiches

Question tea/finger sandwiches

I'm looking for ideas on what tea/finger sandwiches you most enjoy... Am co-hosting a baby shower this month (what a month for them, huh? I feel like I've read about at least 5 of you who are hosts...), and am in charge of, among other things, finger sandwiches. It's a couples shower and I don't think there is a vegetarian in the bunch (though that doesn't rule out veggie sandwiches). Please post good ideas for me... combos you like, spreads you use, etc.

Also, if you have any good ideas for dessert fillings for tartlets, I'd love those also.

Thanks!

At my daughter's first birthday, we served spinach sandwiches and they were a huge hit. All you do is make the Spinach Dip recipe that is on the back of the Knorr's Vegetable Soup mix, and spread it thinly between two slices of thin sandwich bread. We cut the crusts off, too. They are really, really great, but not so light.

Caroline

Well not exctly finger / tea sandwiches but very good. Roast beef or Turkey with Boursin cheese on a french baguette, or cocktail bread I suppose, with a roasted red pepper. You then slice the baguette into 1 - 11/2 inch sliecs. This is always a hit.

Have fun.

[This message has been edited by RUSTYSMOM (edited 01-10-2001).]

Chicken salad with finely shredded chicken (so it's not too chunky) is always good. I did this once with a tarragon mayonnaise, red grapes (cut up) and sprouts on a multigrain bread cut into quarters. Just kind of made up the recipe for the chicken salad.

Here's another one from July 1998 Better Homes and Gardens (more dainty than the chicken salad and hard to keep together but also very tasty):
    Cucumber and Apricot Sandwiches
    1 large cucumber
    1/2 of an 8-oz pkg neufchatel/low-fat cream cheese
    2 Tbsp snipped fresh basil
    1/8 tsp salt (optional)
    8 slices firm-textured whole wheat bread
    2 large apricots or 1 nectarine, pitted and thinly sliced
    1/4 cup assorted sprouts or alfalfa sprouts
    1/4 cup arugula leaves or cilantro springs

Peel cucumber. Cut in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Thinly slice cucumber; set aside.

In a small bowl combine cream cheese, basil and salt (I used mt food processor). Spread about 1 tablespoon of the cheese mixture on one side of each slice of bread.

Top four slices with cucumber slices, fruit slices, sprouts and arugula/cilantro. Top with remaining four slices of bread. Cut each sandwich in half diagonally.

Serve immediately or cover and chill before serving.
    Makes four full sandwiches.

I served these two at a bridal shower about two years ago. Everyone enjoyed them. Good luck and have fun!

If I asked my mother, I m sure she would cast her vote for proper English cucumber sandwiches on thin bread with the crusts cut off - that is her classic! I would suggest any type of salad sandwich (egg, tuna, salmon...) as long as they won t be kept out too long. They always go so quickly! A lot of people also enjoy those cream cheese and veggie/smoked salmon roll-up sandwiches (shaped in spirals). For a different touch, try Swiss/Emmenthal cheese with raisin bread. I would like to suggest something with portobello mushrooms or other grilled veggies but they would probably be too messy.

Good luck!

I don't have any suggestion for the actual ingredients, but Cbyerman made me think that these types of sandwiches would be really cute cut into shapes with the deep metal cookie cutters. Especially if you were cutting the crust off anyway.

I just had a great little appitizer at bunko last night, The host rolled out crescent roll dough, sealing the seams. Sprinkled it with oregano, cheddar cheese, and cooked bacon bits. Roll it up tight like a log, and slice in 1" slices, like making cinnamon rolls. Then bake. They puff up like mini cinnamon rolls, but of course are pepperoni and cheese. They were great. She also said she makes them with canadian bacon and cheese for brunches.

mightyh, I saw an intriging recipe for tea sandwiches in The Barefoot Contessa cookbook. I never had a chance to try it, though. Mix cream cheese with minced green onion, spread it on dense raisin-nut bread, put thinly sliced turkey or smoked turkey on it, top with basil leaves and another slice of raisin-nut bread spread with the green onion cream cheese. Chill until the cream cheese is firm, then remove crusts and cut into small sandwiches. If you try it, let me know what you think.
    Beth

I remember as a child a friend of my mothers making cream cheese and jelly sandwiches. I thought they were so fancy (I think I was 6)

Kim

That's funny, because our neighbors did cream cheese and olives, which I thought were the height of elegance.

I like goat cheese (spread thin) with raspberry hot pepper jelly. This would also be good with turkey if you wanted to add meat.