Community Message Boards

Thread: HELP! My hair is fried!

Unhappy HELP! My hair is fried!

Recently my family moved, which means, new dentist, new doctors, new hair stylist...well I've met and have become friends with a woman in our church who is a hairdresser. Since I have my hair hi-lighted, I thought I'd give her a try. I've had her do my hair twice. The second time she did it, the treatment fried my hair *sigh* I don't know what to do about it. I got a deep conditioner, and that barely helped. Should I keep deep conditioning it? I've finally grown it out and would rather not get it cut short. Anyone know of any miracles for hair out there?
    Also, now I'm faced with changing hairdressers in the future, and being worried about hurting my friend's feelings.
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    sassysu

Go back to her salon and show her what condition your hair is in. They've got treatments to fix it. I'm sure she'd rather see you and help than see you and know that you had a bad hair job and didn't say anything to her about it.

Debie
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Yes, keep doing the deep conditioning and go back. The salon might have something to help.

I had someone fry my hair, but she told me I only needed to use a conditioning spray, not a regular conditioner. Well, shortly I could not run my fingers through my hair without it breaking off. It took some time, but I did get my hair back in good condition.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

I just talked to my cousin who is a hairdresser (and she trained at one the "good" schools-Graham Webb). She said that there is really not much you can do. But, go to a hair salon and ask to buy something called Wella Liquid Hair Protein. It is in a clear bottle but the fluid is brown. It will cost you about $16. Use this once a week, but no more than twice a week. It is a spray on, leave-in protein treatment that will add keratin back into the hair. Call around the salons in your area because not all salons will carry the same products.

Also, she said, don't let anyone try to "fix" your hair. It really cannot be fixed. She said someone used bleach on your hair to highlight it (versus a gentler 'color') and they left it on too long. Bleach eats at the hair shaft and gradually turns it to mush. Leaving it on to long means that it totally damaged your hair. It cannot be fixed and don't try to or it will get worse.

Use the conditioner noted above and get your hair trimmed every 4 weeks.

Oh, and definitely get a new stylist.

Christine

You can believe I am checking the responses to my dilema! Wearing a baseball hat is the stlye I am "sporting" these days!
    Initially, I had considered seeing if her salon would do a conditioning treatment on it, but if they use products that aren't that great for coloring, I think I'd rather not have them do anything else to my hair.

Leigh My hair is at that point yours was, I can't get my fingers to run through it. *ick*

Christine I will call to see if I can locate the product you suggested. If I can get it at least managable, it would be nice.

Thanks all for your kind attention
    sassysu

Sue,

Initially I'd to the deep conditioning twice a week. It will help. Also, rise your conditioner out with warm to cool water. Do not use hot water!!!! Hot water will only strip all the conditioner back off your hair and undo any good it might have done. My hairdresser told me to do this years ago. I just turn the water down to warm when I'm ready to rinse. I even leave everyday conditioner on my hair for 3-5 minutes in the morning. My trick it to wash my hair, condition it, then wash my body, and rinse my hair last.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

I use a product called Sleek -- it's a leave-in conditioner that makes my hair so smooth I can use the product, put my wet hair in a ponytail all day, and take out the rubber band at night with NO ponytail-kink. Cool. Wonder if it would help your hair?
    Blogging about Barb horses at The Barb Wire and about the simple pleasures of less urban living at Nightlife. Saddle up and come along for the ride!

Guest Guest
    When I had my hair highlighted, the highlighted sections got very dry. I have tried a lot of conditioners and found that Wella Depth Charge and Terax Crema really do a good job in conditioning processed hair - for me color and highlighting. Terax also makes a very gentle, conditioning shampoo called Collagene, that is very good. All of these products were recommended by my stylist for color treated hair.

Thanks for the tips...tamawrite~do you get Sleek at the general stores, or do you get it at a beauty supply shop?
    Leigh~Thanks for the reminder...I usually rinse my hair in hot water, but I am turning down the heat when I rinse now.
    Christine~I called around to some salons today, and haven't located the product you suggested, but I will keep looking.
    You all are sweet.
    sassysu
    MWS~I will keep an eye out for those products as well.
    *Can you tell I'm despirate?*

Salons can do what they call a vitamin Pack on your hair. I had my hair fried by a lady putting perms in my hair. I changed hairdressers and that lady Vitamin Packed my hair and slowly trimmed my hair until she got the damaged parts off. That also meant no perms. I would suggest the same thing with hi-lighting.
    Leisa

back in my bleaching days, my hair was so dry & brittle a brush couldnt even get through it smoothly. especially in front, it felt mushy. not like hair is suppose to!

i used any kind of deep moisturizing treatment i could find. plop tons of it in my hair for 15 minutes while i soaked in the tub. that helped a lot and my hair is fine now!

All of these suggestions are great. Also, if you can stand it, try washing your hair every other day instead of every day. Your hair won't get so dried out if you wash it every other instead of every day and if you blow it dry after you wash it your hair will thank you for only doing it every other day.

Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. Cadet Maxim

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Thanks again peeps! I am getting ready to go on vacation, however, when I get back I'd like to see about the Vitamin Pack treatment...my hair is that bad. *sigh*
    I've also skipped a day of washing when I can. Fortunately it is long enough to pull back so I don't look too scarey.
    Tomorrow I plan to do an at home conditioner for now until I can make an appointment at a salon.
    So why does hair have to be an issue anyway? I told DH that I wish I looked like Demi Moore so I can shave it all off and still look good!
    sassysu

I too highlight my hair and find that it feels a little fried after getting it done but usually bounces back. I use Redken products from their All Soft line. The conditioner works very well and brings my hair back to a soft and healthy feel in a day or two. The shampoo doesn't strip your hair of its natural oils, which helps get the fried feeling out. I also use the conditioner every day. They also make a deep conditioner and the All Soft products have some sort of Avocado oil in them.

I would be afraid to do a friend's hair if I were a stylist. I definitely wouldn't do family. I have had to change stylists several times because of messed up hair. Some people, like me, just have really fragile hair. Perming just fries it. I've been going to an Aveda salon recently. They have tons of reconstructive natural treatments--and most come in trial sizes.

My in-laws have their hair done by a church friend who discovered this "technique" to cut hair with an electric razor....you can tell.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

sassysu -- I get Sleek from a cheap salon (Great Clips.) It comes in an orange tube and has 5 levels -- I use #3.
    Blogging about Barb horses at The Barb Wire and about the simple pleasures of less urban living at Nightlife. Saddle up and come along for the ride!

I'm in the same situation! On May 3 I got a perm because I was tired of the flat against my head hair. Curly looked worse on me, so a flat iron was recommended by a few friends. I got a good quality $50 ceramic flat iron, but found that my hair looked like straw when I finished straightening it. I had to mist it with a bit of water, then style a little with a hot brush, which looks like a curling iron with a round brush at the end of it...blows air like a blowdryer. That's the only way I could 'smooth' my hair. It lasted for a day after washing and styling, then the second day I was straw again. I should also mention I color my hair as well!!

My stylist told me I was waaaay overprocessed. Problem is, I can't give up color! I use Feria, a very gentle and glossy color, but it is still damaging. I've been searching for a deep conditioner, and I had a stylist tell me conditioners only really work on the surface of the hair, and I needed a 'restructurizer'. At the drugstore I bought K-PAK by Joico which is pricey but worked well when left on for 10 minutes. Another product that the beauty supply recommended I absolutely LOVE. Head to the beauty supply and look for a tall pink pump by 'BedHead' called 'After Party'. It's a smoothing cream. After styling use the size of a large pea in your hand, emulsify between both hands and then run your hands all over your head bringing it to the roots. Brush or comb it through, and within a half hour I'm really noticing smoother and silkier hair. Smells yummy too!

I also remembered a product that a stylist had talked to me about a few years ago that I tried, and I remembered that it made my hair so soft and silky that it wouldn't 'do' anything. It was the Wella Liquid Hair Protein! I pulled the bottle out two days ago (been sitting for about 4 years) and spritzed it on my wet hair. I did notice a bit of difference, and I think within a month of using it twice a week I should notice even more. If you can't find it in stores, buy it online. Here's a link:

http://www.cutndry.com/wella_liquid_hair_treatments.htm

Also, don't blow dry your hair unless you have to, let it air dry as much as possible. Use the lowest heat setting on your dryer, and use hot rollers to style your hair if you can get away with it, they're easier on your hair than hot air.

Don't forget 'After Party' too!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

Jewel is being kind calling the packaging of "After Party" a tall pink pump. I'd describe it as a tall, pink, p- ... well, you be the judge:

--Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

Mary Kate-- LOL!!!!!!!!
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.

snort

Boy, you just never know which way a thread is going to go, do you? One minute hair, the next . . . .

MaryKate, you always make my day Have fun tonight!

Debie
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

You guys absolutely crack me up!!!!

Peggy

OMG my vacation will be ruined :(

I went to a hairdressor 2 weeks ago for a body perm. Mostly because my hair is a bit limp and I didn't want to cut it. The result is a total disaster. I have cotton candy for hair and it is falling out by the handfulls I am reasonably certain the hairdressor knew she had made a mistake when I left but did fess not up Now I have hair I seriously can't do a thing with no comb or brush will go through without tearing 1/2 out and I can't go to the court house with a baseball cap on and thats my job. My only choice appears to be to shave my hair and let it regrow, something I had to do 2 years ago due to surgery. I know it isn't the end of the world but I am sitting here crying over the whole mess. Have done everything from daily moisturizing to keratin treatment from another salon. I am so upset I can't even get enough steam up to get mad, but Lord help me when I do
    Last edited by idahotrish; 04-02-2012 at 02:24 PM. Reason: typo

If you are truly a new member looking for help, please start your own thread. Updating an old one is something s spammer does, and I don't want to accuse you wrongly.

Quote Originally Posted by idahotrish View Post
    I went to a hairdressor 2 weeks ago for a body perm. Mostly because my hair is a bit limp and I didn't want to cut it. The result is a total disaster. I have cotton candy for hair and it is falling out by the handfulls I am reasonably certain the hairdressor knew she had made a mistake when I left but did fess not up Now I have hair I seriously can't do a thing with no comb or brush will go through without tearing 1/2 out and I can't go to the court house with a baseball cap on and thats my job. My only choice appears to be to shave my hair and let it regrow, something I had to do 2 years ago due to surgery. I know it isn't the end of the world but I am sitting here crying over the whole mess. Have done everything from daily moisturizing to keratin treatment from another salon. I am so upset I can't even get enough steam up to get mad, but Lord help me when I do
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!