Do you have Paint Shop Pro? This is actually what I do instead since it looks better to me. (I'm in the process of updating the "tips" cookbook, and it will include this info along with other new info.):
1. Crop an image to the approximate size of 72 x 97 pixels.
2. Using Paint Shop Pro open the image.
3. Select DUPLICATE from the Windows menu to open a duplicate copy of the file. Close your original file to preserve it. (You may wish to use the View menu to ZOOM IN by 5 to make things easier to work with.)
4. Choose SELECT ALL from the Selections menu.
5. From the Effects menu choose 3D EFFECTS > OUTER BEVEL and apply the default settings. Increase the SMOOTHNESS to 20. Click on OK to return to the main screen.
6. Choose SELECT NONE from the Selection menu.
7. Click on the SELECTION cursor (using the rectangle type) and select about 10 pixels wide starting along the left edge and extending from the top to the bottom of the image. (Your selection should be 10 x 97 pixels, along the left edge.)
8. From the Effects menu choose TEXTURE EFFECTS > BLINDS. Adjust the default settings by removing the checkmark from HORIZONTAL; change the WIDTH to 11; change the opacity to 70; click OK.
9. Save your image as a JPG file and insert it as a cover.
Pam's MasterCook 5+ Help Site (download a MasterCook tips "cookbook" -- UPDATED 04/19/04): http://mc6help.tripod.com/
Check out the MasterCook Cupboard (info for all versions of MC): http://mastercook_cupboard.tripod.com/