Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO ideas for left over buttermilk

ISO ideas for left over buttermilk

I bought a quart of buttermilk for a recipe that only required 1/4 cup (I couldn't find it in a smaller size). Does anyone have any recipe ideas for buttermilk? I tasted it plain to see if I could use the rest like I would regular milk...man alive was it yucky!

Any ideas would be appreciated!

The Lemonade Layer Cake!
    Buttermilk Pancakes?

If you don't feel like baking right away, you can freeze buttermilk. Try doing a search - I bet there are a million and one ideas out there.
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

The strawberry buttermilk gelato pops to mind. That's why I've got a carton of it sitting in my fridge.

this is delicious...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Buttermilk Spice Coffee Cake

Recipe By : posted by Linda In MO
    Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cake

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
    1/8 tsp ground allspice
    1 cup buttermilk
    1/2 cup butter -- melted
    1 large egg -- beaten
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    Brown Sugar Glaze:
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    2 tbsps butter
    2 tbsps honey
    2 tbsps milk
    1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Grease a 9x9x2 inch pan or 11.5x8x2 inch pan; set aside.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugars, baking powder, soda, salt, and spices; set aside.

In another bowl, combine buttermilk, melted butter, egg, and vanilla.

Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring until smooth.

Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake about 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.

In the meantime prepare glaze. In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients except walnuts. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer glaze, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/4 cup chopped walnuts.

Pour glaze evenly over hot cake. Bake an additional 5 minutes.

Cool in pan on wire rack. Serve warm or at room temp.

Cuisine:
    "American"
    Source:
    "Curtis & Schwartz Cafe Cookbook"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 269 Calories; 12g Fat (39.0% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 38g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 45mg Cholesterol; 269mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES :
    my notes: really easy to make and very tasty! I put in a heaping spoon of each of the spices.

Description:
    "This coffee cake was so popular the day the Curtis and Schwartz Cafe
    opened in 1986 that it became the restaurant's signature pastry."
    Source:
    "BGH Hometown Cooking, Feb 2001, pg.12"

I second the Buttermilk Pancakes - we have them frequently for supper with sauteed cinnamon apples and soy sausages. Check in CL Complete for recipe. Also, the Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes from last year are great. I keep Buttermilk in the fridge just to do these pancakes - usually for a quick supper. Also, the Angel Biscuits are wonderful - again in CL Complete. Or, the Strawberry Shortcake from same book.

here are a couple more that are great!

Fourth Generation Blackberry Jam Cake

Recipe By :Paula Deen
    Serving Size : 18 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Desserts

Cake:
    1 c vegetable shortening
    1 1/3 c sugar
    4 eggs
    4 c flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp allspice
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
    1 c buttermilk
    2 c blackberry jam
    1 c chopped pecans -- (I omitted these)
    1 c raisins -- (I omitted these)
    Caramel Icing:
    1/2 c butter
    1 c packed brown sugar
    1/4 c milk
    2 c confectioner's sugar -- sifted

Preheat the oven to 350. Grease and flour two 10-inch cake pans or a tube pan.

For the cake, in a mixing bowl, cream the shortening and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each. Sift the flour with the baking powder, soda, salt, and spices. Add the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour. Stir in the nuts and raisins, then stir in the jam. Pour the batter into the prepared pans. If using the 10-inch pans, bake for 30-40 minutes or until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pans. If using the tube pan, bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 300 and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the cake tests done. Cool the cakes in the pans for 10 minutes, then turn them out onto cake racks to cool completely.

While the cake cools, make the icing. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Boil over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the milk and continue stirring until the mixture returns to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat and scrape the mixture into a mixing bowl. Let cool. Add the confectioners' sugar a little at a time, beating well after each addition, until the icing is thick enough to spread. Fill and ice the cake.

Source:
    "The Lady and Sons, Too!"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 513 Calories; 18g Fat (31.1% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 85g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 56mg Cholesterol; 316mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 3 1/2 Fat; 4 Other Carbohydrates.

Quick Cinnamon Buns with Buttermilk Icing

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Breakfast Desserts

1 tbsp unsalted butter -- melted (for the pan)
    cinnamon-sugar filling:
    3/4 c packed dark brown sugar
    1/4 c granulated sugar
    2 tsps cinnamon
    1/8 tsp clove
    1/8 tsp salt
    1 tbsp unsalted butter -- melted
    biscuit dough:
    2 1/2 c all purpose flour -- plus additional for work surface
    2 tbsps granulated sugar
    1 1/4 tsps baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 1/4 c buttermilk
    6 tbsps unsalted butter -- melted
    icing:
    2 tbsps cream cheese -- softened
    2 tbsps buttermilk
    1 c confectioner's sugar

Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 425. Pour 1 tbsp melted butter in 9-inch nonstick cake pan; brush to coat pan. Spray wire rack with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.

Filling: combine sugars, spices, and salt in a small bowl. add 1 tbsp melted butter and stir with a fork until mixture resembles wet sand; set aside.

Dough: whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, and salt iin a large bowl. Whisk butter milk and 2 tbsp melted butter in a measuring cup. Add liquid to dry ingredientss and stir with a wooden spoon until liquid is absorbed (dough will look very shaggy), about 30 seconds. Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface and knead until just smooth and no longer shaggy.

Pat dough with hands into a 12 by 9 inch rectangle. Brush dough with 2 tbsp melted butter. Sprinkle evenly with filling, leaving 1/2-inch border of plain dough around the edges. Press filling firmly into dough. Using bench scraper of metal spatula, loosen dough from work surface. Starting at long side, roll dough, pressing lightly, to form a tight log. Pinch seam to seal. Roll log seam-side down and cut into 8 pieces. With hand, slightly flatten each piece of dough to seal open edges and keep filling in place. Place one roll in the center of the prepared pan, then place remaining seven rolls around the perimeter of the pan. Brush with 2 tbsp of remaining butter. Bake until edges are golden brown, 23-25 minutes. Use offset metal spatula to loosen buns from pan; without separating, slide buns out of pan onto greased cooling rack. Cool about 5 minutes before icing.

To make icing and finish buns: while buns are cooling, line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper (for easy cleanup)' set rack with buns over baking sheet. Whisk cream cheese and buttermilk in a large bowl until thick and smooth (mixture will look like cottage cheese at first). Sift confectioner's sugar over; whisk until smmoth glaze forms, about 30 sseconds. Spoon glaze evenly over buns. Serve immediately.

Source:
    "Cook's Illustrated, May/June 2002"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 448 Calories; 14g Fat (26.9% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 77g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 36mg Cholesterol; 387mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 1/2 Fat; 3 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Melted butter is used in both the filling and the dough and it is used to grease the pan. It's easiest to melt the total amount (8 tbsp) at once and then measure it out as you need it. The finished buns are best eaten warm, but they hold reasonably well for uo to 2 hours.

The Desk Set Oven Fried Chicken uses buttermilk and it's very yummy.

I also suggest freezing it. I have a bunch in my freezer right now. I freeze 1 1/4 cup, 3/4 cup, and 1/2 cup amounts.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

If you want a non-baking idea, you can use it to soak some chicken and then bread--I like the Desk-Set recipe.

Desk Set Oven-Fried Chicken Breasts

In Desk Set, Katharine Hepburn plays a corporate reference librarian and Spencer Tracy plays an efficiency expert. While falling in love, they discuss fried-chicken recipes. In one scene, Tracy even cooks the dish for Hepburn. Here's what they made!

INGREDIENTS:
    1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
    1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
    4 (6-ounce) skinned chicken breast halves
    Cooking spray
    1 tablespoon stick margarine or butter, melted

INSTRUCTIONS:
    Estimated Total Time: 50 minutes

Preheat oven to 400. Combine first 6 ingredients in a shallow dish. Place buttermilk in a shallow dish. Dip chicken in buttermilk; dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Place chicken, breast sides up, in a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray. Drizzle margarine over chicken. Bake at 400 for 40 minutes or until done.

NUTRITIONAL INFO:
    calories: 295 carbohydrates: 6.6 g cholesterol: 115 mg fat: 9 g sodium: 486 mg protein: 44.1 g calcium: 88 mg iron: 2.4 mg fiber: 0.5 g

YIELD:
    4 servings.

I made this soup last weekend and it's really good; uses 1 3/4 c. of buttermilk.

Chilled Summer-Squash Soup with Curry

Published: Cooking Light- 06/01/00

INGREDIENTS
    2 teaspoons curry powder
    1-1/4 pounds yellow squash, cubed
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 (14-1/2-ounce) can vegetable broth
    1-3/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
    1/2 teaspoon salt

INSTRUCTIONS
    Cook curry powder in a large saucepan over medium heat 1 minute or until toasted. Add squash, onion, and broth. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until tender. Place squash mixture in a blender; process until smooth. Pour mixture into a bowl; cover and chill. Stir in the buttermilk, mint, and salt.

YIELD: 5 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

NUTRITIONAL INFO
    calories: 82 carbohydrates: 12.3 g cholesterol: 0 mg fat: 2.2 g sodium: 681 mg protein: 4.8 g calcium: 136 mg iron: 0.8 mg fiber: 2.5 g

A more generic suggestion (sans recipe) would be to use some of it to marinade chicken - it's a wonderful marinade base - keeps chicken wonderfully moist. Add garlic, herbs, spices ...

And, although my DH thinks this is terribly odd, I like to drink buttermilk! Am I the only one who does this??

Eating Well's Picnic Fried Chicken is so good! I'd vote for that and buttermilk mashed potatoes, another excellent recipe, I also like to add a little chives to them.

Picnic Oven-Fried Chicken

Recipe By osted by Terrytx at cl bb
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Poultry

1/2 cup buttermilk
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
    2 1/2 pounds chicken legs, skin removed, fat trimmed -- (2 1/2 to 3)
    1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
    2 tablespoons sesame seeds
    1 1/2 teas pons paprika
    1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
    freshly ground black pepper to taste
    olive oil cooking spray

Whisk buttermilk, mustard, garlic, and hot sauce in a shallow glass dish until well blended. Add chicken and turn to coat. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1/2 hour or for up to 8 hours.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil. Set a wire rack on the baking sheet and coat it with cooking spray.

Whisk flour, sesame seeds, paprika, thyme, baking powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Place the flour mixture in a paper bag or large sealable plastic bag. Shaking off excess marinade, place one or two pieces of chicken at a time in the bag and shake to coat. Shake off excess flour and place chicken on the perpared rack. (Discard any left over flour mixture and marinade.) Spray chicken pieces with cooking spray.

Bake the chicken until golden brown and no longer pink in the center, 40 to 50 minutes. An instant-read thermometer should register 180 degrees.

per serving: 227 cal, 7g fat, 130mg chol, 5g carb, 34g pro, 1 g fiber, 262mg sod.

Source:
    "Eating Well-summer/03"

BUTTERMILK MASHED POTATOES

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

1 1/4 pounds thin-skinned potatoes -- such as Yellow
    Finns or Yukon Golds, peeled and cut into
    2-inch chunks if large
    1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
    3/4 cup buttermilk -- warmed (not hot)
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    Freshly ground black pepper

Place the potatoes and 1 teaspoon of the salt in a medium saucepan, add enough water to cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to moderate and simmer until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, about 45 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water.

Return the potatoes to the pan and set over low heat, uncovered, for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, to let the potatoes dry out a little (too much moisture will dilute their flavor). For the smoothest potatoes, pass them through a food mill. For a slightly coarser puree, mash them with a potato masher or fork or use a hand mixer. Beat the buttermilk into the potatoes with a wooden spoon until thoroughly incorporated. If you prefer even creamier potatoes, add a little of the reserved cooking liquid. Beat in the butter, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and plenty of pepper. Serve at once, or keep the potatoes warm, covered, in a double boiler over hot water for up to 1 hour.

In Advance: You can make the potatoes up to 3 hours ahead. About 20 minutes before serving, warm them in a double boiler, stirring frequently, until hot.

Makes 4 servings.

A New Way to Cook
    January 2002
    Sally Schneider

I hope this isn't sacrilege, but I keep powdered buttermilk on hand for those times when a recipe calls for just a small amount or when I make a spur-of-the-moment decision to make a recipe that calls for buttermilk. I haven't noticed any difference in the end product by using the powdered.
    "Let food be thy medicine" ~ Hippocrates

I actually love to drink really cold buttermilk But i also use it to marinate chicken. It makes it really tender. SO good.

In the warm weather, DH drinks buttermilk with his lunch! Never any leftovers. For baking, I always keep the powdered stuff in the fridge!
    Curleytop

Unhappy

Valchemist,
    I just put the blackberry Jam Cake in the oven, the batter tastes wonderful. But my question is what did you think of the combination of this cake with the carmel icing? I really can't picture them together. I'm thinking of making just a creamcheese frosting? Did it work for you? Should I stick with the caremel???

Originally posted by Chocolate Rose
    I hope this isn't sacrilege, but I keep powdered buttermilk on hand for those times when a recipe calls for just a small amount or when I make a spur-of-the-moment decision to make a recipe that calls for buttermilk. I haven't noticed any difference in the end product by using the powdered.
    Ditto.
    Leisa

Originally posted by LaurenP
    Valchemist,
    I just put the blackberry Jam Cake in the oven, the batter tastes wonderful. But my question is what did you think of the combination of this cake with the carmel icing? I really can't picture them together. I'm thinking of making just a creamcheese frosting? Did it work for you? Should I stick with the caremel???
    argh. sorry Lauren. just seeing this thread now. I absolutely loved the caramel icing and berry combination. that was the reason I liked the cake so much. it was a little different, but it definitely worked.

Talking

Thanks for the recipe ideas everyone! I did not know about powdered buttermilk. I will have to look for that at the grocery store. Thanks!!

I second the mashed potatoes with buttermilk. It's the only way that I make them. You can make them low fat this way--the buttermilk has enough flavor that you don't need butter. I use buttermilk in cornbread, biscuits, some soups, basically anything that calls for milk.

I drink buttermilk, too, and I love it over crumbled cornbread.

Thank you for the yellow squash recipe. I have it coming out of my ears, and that looks excellent!

I second the Strawberry-Buttermilk gelato suggestion. That stuff is awesome. Here's another idea; I got this off the BB, but did not note who posted it, sorry. I thought it was a tad salty so next time I will cut back on the salt. I made it in my breadmachine, dough cycle, and baked it after a second rise for 30 minutes at 350 convection oven temp.

Buttermilk Whole Wheat Bread

1 1/2 cups buttermilk (1 1/8 c.)
    3 T. canola oil (2 T.)
    2 1/2 T. pure maple syrup (2 T.)
    2 cups whole wheat flour (1 1/2 c.)
    2 cups bread flour (1 1/2 c.)
    1 T. plus 2 t. vital wheat gluten (1 T. plus 1
    t.)
    2 t. salt (1 1/2 t.)
    2 1/4 t. SAF yeast OR 2 3/4 t. bread machine yeast
    (2 t. OR 2 1/2 t.)

Place all ingredients in the pan according to the order in the manufacturer's instructions. Set crust on medium and program for the basic or whole wheat cycle; press start. (not suitable for delay timer)

When baking cycle ends, immediately remove the bread from the pan and place it on a rack. Let cool to room temp. before slicing.

NOTES : The first measurements are for a 2 lb. loaf and the ones in parenthesis are for a 1 1/2 lb. loaf. I used the dough cycle and used half (1 lb.) of the dough to make sandwich buns. I shaped them into 8 buns, but they were a tad small, so next time I will shape only 6 buns. I shaped the rest of the dough into a loaf and baked in an 8 inch loaf pan. I let the buns rise about 45 minutes and baked at 375 for about 20 minutes or so. I baked the loaf in a Pyrex loaf pan at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes I think.

Thanks Vall, I did go with the caremel icing and loved it.

Tizzylish, I tried the oven picnic chx last night,very good.

FYI -

Milk + vinegar (7:1) = buttermilk

i.e. 1/4 cup vinegar + 1 3/4 cup milk = 2 cups buttermilk.

Will not be as thick, recipe may require additional flour (pancake batter)

SSM
    Now Robin's Mom too...10/21/02

Another vote for powdered buttermilk. My tub of it sits in the back of the refrigerator and lasts forever . . . or at least until I go on a Irish Soda Bread baking binge.
    Work is the ruin of the drinking classes.

Since no one else mentioned it I think....freeze it. Freezes great in ziploc baggies (1/2 c., 1 c., whatever quantities you like).