Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keep me company!

Keep me company!

I'm tied to the kitchen for the next couple hours, but it's a lot of sitting around stuff, waiting for water to boil.

So, what is going on in your worlds today?
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

Hello! I'm bored and can't seem to find anything to do here at work so I'm binding my time until I feel like eating lunch!

Not much going on around here in PA. Waiting for this weekend to go see our friends from West Chester and go to a graduation party for one of them that just received his MBA.

And hopefully on the way home I can convince DH that we really have enough money buy things at Wegmans!

So, what are you making?
    "...having dogs forces us to keep living in places that are right for us. And I think of all the things I might have given up had my dogs not shown me what was important in my life: fresh air, a garden, an eleven-thousand foot mountain in my backyard." - Pam Houston "The Bad Dogs of Park City"

www.peaceiswise.blogspot.com

Yes, inquiring minds want to know what you're making! I'm at work and bored. Not that I don't have things to do, I just don't want to do them. I'm eating my lunch and catching up on the BB!
    Wouldn't you like to be a Susan, too?

Hi ladies! I'm making jam today - Blueberry Southern Comfort. I need to do a buckle for supper club tonight as well. You know, one of these days I need to find out how to enter my jams into fairs.
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

Hi Bethany! [passing a Strongbow over the border to keep you company ]

That's about it from these here quarters for now - exciting, huh?

Natasha
    "If you're not chasing after miracles, what's the point?" The movie Saint Ralph

"What it all comes down to
    Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine
    I've got one hand in my pocket
    And the other one is giving a high five" - Alanis Morisette, Hand in My Pocket

I won't be much company--on my way to the gym, then grocery shopping, then ordering a new freezer. I think I'd rather be making jam! I HATE going outside and running errands when it's over 105 and humid. Of course, I suppose I could've gotten my booty moving a little sooner, but these boards are always CALLING to me....
    If this is the worst thing that happens all year, I think I can deal with it!

Hi Bethany!

I'm working at home today, sorting through workpapers for the latest project I finished. Making jam sounds like a lot more fun than what I am doing. What is Blueberry Southern Comfort jam? It sounds good!
    http://www.pjrc.com

No matter how big or soft your bed is, you still have to get out of it.
    -Grace Slick, raucous rock diva

I'd rather be making jam too -- I am putting the clear finish on DS2s new dresser and hoping to get the second coat tonight so we can get it in his room. After that, I have to make a valance and a sham and get everything reorganized. I can't wait until we are done with all of this. I do have some berries in the freezer to make jam later.

I'm stuck at home waiting for the pest control man and washing clothes. Wouldn't want to be making jam though, it would make my hose too hot. We may see triple digets here today.

Originally posted by Terrytx
    I'm stuck at home waiting for the pest control man and washing clothes. Wouldn't want to be making jam though, it would make my hose too hot. We may see triple digets here today.
    Wouldn't want your hose to get too hot, now

So, does the jam have Southern Comfort in it??

I'm wanting to go home so I can do some reading and sewing. Just bought 3 books today, one of them hardcover .
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

Thanks Natasha! I have a feeling you and I would get along very well!

The jam does actually have Southern Comfort in it. It's fabulous stuff. When I was in Germany, they had an insert in one of the women's magazines (similar to Glamour, I guess) that had all kinds of fun jams. I made Raspberry Champagne Jelly a few weeks ago that is out of this world. The Blueberry SoCo is great as well. In a few weeks I'll do Peach with Amaretto, then I'll be done with jams!

For those of you with triple digit heat, canning isn't a great activity for it. It's in the mid-70s here today (23C Natasha) and it's hot as heck in my house.

Bethany, you do know you need to buck up with some recipes, don't you?
    That should keep you busy, anyhow!
    "...having dogs forces us to keep living in places that are right for us. And I think of all the things I might have given up had my dogs not shown me what was important in my life: fresh air, a garden, an eleven-thousand foot mountain in my backyard." - Pam Houston "The Bad Dogs of Park City"

www.peaceiswise.blogspot.com

I'm sitting at work wishing I coulda stayed abed this morning. It's my own fault, I stayed up too late last night!

I am making calls for a couple of articles and trying to come up with some snappy wording for a query. My dad is coming over for lunch at 1.

Such is the thrilling life of a freelancer.

The jam sounds fabulous.
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

Originally posted by linsleyd
    Bethany, you do know you need to buck up with some recipes, don't you?
    Hey, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!

Jessica - lunch with your dad sounds like fun!

Wow! Peach with Ameretto? You have to share that one! I'm all proud of myself for making plain old strawberry. The jams you're making sound amazing!
    Wouldn't you like to be a Susan, too?

I want the Blueberry Southern Comfort and the Peach with Ameretto, but no hurry, I'll wait until it cools off here in Houston to do them....say like Dec.

I'm doing a little happy-dance all by myself at the moment!

Our dog Reggie has been on chemo for about two months, and collapsed last week and hasn't walked much since then. However, he just walked - unassisted! - all the way from the living room to our bedroom with me cheering him on the whole way! He needed some help standing up, but once he got on his feet he was all about coming in here to sit with his Mama.

Originally posted by JHolcomb

I'm wanting to go home so I can do some reading and sewing. Just bought 3 books today, one of them hardcover .
    Now that is what I should be doing. I have a huge stack of books just gathering dust. - dust-now that is something else that I could probably stand to do....no, no - I wouldn't want to strain myself, so no house work, besides the clothes. That's enough house work for 1 day.

Mrs Reber - if you can do strawberry jam, you can do just about anything. It's just a matter of what goes into the pot!

Terry - Here's the Blueberry one. The peach recipe is up north. Because the recipes are from Germany, they mass things instead of measuring by volume. I find it to be far more accurate when dealing with fruit, which tends to have a lot of space between the pieces, if that makes any sense.

Blueberry Jam with Southern Comfort
    900 g blueberries
    80 ml Southern Comfort
    500 g sugar

Combine ingredients in a large pot. Slowly bring to a boil. Once boiling, stir and keep at a boil for 3 minutes. Turn off heat, and ladle jam in to jars with 2 piece lids. I got about 5 half-pints from each batch. Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.

Go Reggie!

Woohoo! I'm sitting on the couch now, listening to my lids pop. I love the sound of a properly sealed jar!

But, I'm about 1/2 cup of blueberries short for my baking. Bummer.

Thanks-I'll be sure to do this one!

OK, I'm jealous. I haven't done any canning this year at all. I don't know what's wrong with me, but I just can't get into the groove, though in theory I'd love to!!

Well, there's still apple season to go, and peppers are always around, so maybe I'll be able to do some apple stuff and pepper jelly.

I agree w/ Terry though--it's way to hot here to be adding more heat to the house! My electric bill was high enough already from blasting the a/c.
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

I forgot to say...

Way to go Reggie!
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

Hi, Bethany!

You know, there's a jam contest down here the weekend after next ... I could put you up. I'm still holding out for the champagne raspberry one.
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

Yay Stephanie and Reggie!!!

Bethany, that recipe sounds way GOOD. Thanks for sharing it.

Natasha
    "If you're not chasing after miracles, what's the point?" The movie Saint Ralph

"What it all comes down to
    Is that everything's gonna be fine fine fine
    I've got one hand in my pocket
    And the other one is giving a high five" - Alanis Morisette, Hand in My Pocket

I'll second the request for the raspberry champagne jelly. I've seen ameretto peach (maybe one with pecans added too) and have variations on blueberry, but no raspberry champagne jelly.

That's great, Stephanie - I know just the feeling! Less than two weeks ago I really thought we were going to have to put DBF's dog down, but she snapped back (she's 16 and has a bad heart). She's been quite peppy!

The boards have been a life saver this morning: I'm doing a temp job as a receptionist and it's pretty darned quiet. I used to do this when I was in college and I remember how bad it was (no computers, much less internet) because you couldn't even read or write personal letters, so you just sat.

The raspberry champagne is the hardest, IMO, because of the juicing. I'll post the recipe to all of you mid next week.

Natasha - I'm wondering now if I could do a Strongbow Cider jelly?

You Go Reggie!!! Stephanie, that's great news.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)