Community Message Boards

Thread: Spasfon

Spasfon

Has anybody heard of this? Can you get it in North America? A friend of mine who is from France gave me a tablet for my mind-numbingly evil cramps. It was like magic or heaven or both. Anyway, would I get a crosseyed look if I asked the doctor or pharmicist for it?

Did a search and most of the websites were in French or Spanish. Did find out that Spasfon is an antispasmodic and it appears that it can be prescribed in the US. Found one mention of it being prescribed during a woman's third trimester.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Thanks sneezles, I googled it as well and saw that all the links were French or Spanish. That is why I wondered if I was on a wild goose chase. I didn't see the thing about it being prescribed for the pregnant woman. I don't think my pain is that bad. But when you really can't stand up any more, a little relief is nice. I will see if the doc can help me out.

I havent tried it yet, but I bought some cramp bark at Whole FOods. It was recommended in Natural Health Mag plus by the girl at Whole Foods. Not looking forward to cramps, but am looking forward to trying the tincture....
    ~Kim~

Nashville Restaurant Examiner - check out my page
    Check out my blog: Zen Kitchen http://onehotkitchen-kim.blogspot.com/

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    Dave Barry

I don't know anything about spasfon, but if you are having cramps so bad that you can't stand up I really encourage you to see your doctor. There may be something going on (endometriosis, fibroids, etc.) that are causing you to have such severe cramps and that can be treated. If there isn't, your doctor will definitely be able to give you medication to help control the pain.

Claire

Originally posted by clairea
    I don't know anything about spasfon, but if you are having cramps so bad that you can't stand up I really encourage you to see your doctor. There may be something going on (endometriosis, fibroids, etc.) that are causing you to have such severe cramps and that can be treated. If there isn't, your doctor will definitely be able to give you medication to help control the pain.

Claire
    I was always under the impression that the pain was a fact of life. They have gotten worse in the last three years, but I just blamed that on the new pill. I have this paranoia that I am just being a big suck and that what I think is terrible pain is really nothing

Mine were so bad in middle school, I usually had to be sent home for a couple of hours until they subsided, then I would go back to school...

They are NOT normal, altho many women have them....
    ~Kim~

Nashville Restaurant Examiner - check out my page
    Check out my blog: Zen Kitchen http://onehotkitchen-kim.blogspot.com/

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    Dave Barry

Originally posted by Kayaksoup

I was always under the impression that the pain was a fact of life. They have gotten worse in the last three years, but I just blamed that on the new pill. I have this paranoia that I am just being a big suck and that what I think is terrible pain is really nothing
    Some pain may be a fact of life, but pain that severe shouldn't be. If you have an underlying condition that is causing you to have such severe pain, you should try to get it treated before you risk having more severe problems later on. If it is just bad cramps, your doctor should still be able to give you something to help you.

Claire

Okay, that's it. I am making a doctor's appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by kwormann View Post
    Mine were so bad in middle school, I usually had to be sent home for a couple of hours until they subsided, then I would go back to school...
    Such fun. I remember mine used to make me throw up sometimes. Once they hit at work and I had to hitch a ride back to campus, where I took about 800 mg of Advil and passed out.

The good news, kayaksoup, is that (assuming there's no underlying problem), they seem to get better as one gets older. I haven't had really bad cramps like I used to in years now.