Community Message Boards

Thread: I scream...

Hybrid View

I scream...

All right, all you ice cream mavens. I'm pretty inexperienced--I've made a few sorbets (good) and one ill-fated light ice cream (dreadful). But as summer's winding down, I'd like to give my ice-cream maker another shot. I found a recipe on Epicurious that I'd like to try out on some friends next weekend. Here's the recipe, which I thought I'd serve with grilled pineapple. Any advice on making it turn out? How far in advance should I make it so it's the right consistency for serving? Are there any horrible mistakes that I should avoid making? TIA!

I have found that letting the mixture chill overnight, especially the custards that are heated first, helps my ice cream turn out better. Once mixed in the machine, I like to let it freeze for another several hours or overnight until it gets the right amount of firmness.

If you want a sure bet, I'd try Jewel's Peanut Butter ice cream. It's divine. I made 4 different types one week and everyone agreed that this one was their absolute favorite.

I've been cutting way back on sweets, but I can tell I'm going to have to make an exception and make more ice cream before summer is over!

Good luck!

Alysha

Thanks, Alysha. I checked out the past threads on Jewel's PB ice cream, and it sounds wonderful. A few questions, though: Is it really as creamy and good as full-fat ice cream? I wouldn't mind indulging this time, but a delicious light recipe would definitely be welcome. Also, what sort of peanut butter did you use? I only have chunky Jif... Final question (promise), think it would be good with grilled bananas? Or would that just clutter it? TIA!

ooh yum Pico! Can I come over too?
    I hope your friends appreciate you. If you're thinking grilled bananas on the side of your ice cream (or is that 'bananas ala mode'?) I think that sounds wonderful.
    I've got to look up Jewel's recipe myself as I was recently reminded about it and I have not made it yet. So I can't help you with any of your questions on that.
    I always like my ice cream as I'm scooping from the canister into my bowl -oh! I mean the storage container! Just a matter of preference and trial and trying - I mean error.

katie
    "You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think" -Christopher Robin

Originally posted by Pico
    Is it really as creamy and good as full-fat ice cream? I wouldn't mind indulging this time, but a delicious light recipe would definitely be welcome. Also, what sort of peanut butter did you use? I only have chunky Jif... Final question (promise), think it would be good with grilled bananas? Or would that just clutter it? TIA!
    I am very picky about ice cream texture and this one really measures up to full fat in texture. You don't get that really creamy taste that you get with an ice cream made with heavy cream, but I don't think you need it with the peanut butter flavor. I tried one or two other lower fat recipes and they didn't come close to this one. I don't know if it would fool anybody in a side-by-side taste test, but I loved it.

I used natural peanut butter the first time and smooth Jif the second. I liked the batch with Jif better, but my mom purchased a generic or store brand of natural PB, so it may not have been the best quality. If you do use Jif, I'd recommend cutting back on the sugar a bit - it was a bit overly sweet when I made it because I forgot about the added sugar in Jif. I think chunky Jif would add a nice texture to it - might be worth a try.

As for bananas, I'm probably not the one to ask. Not a big banana fan, so I'd be voting clutter on that one!

So far I have not tried a full-fat recipe, so I don't have one of those to recommend. Maybe I'll try one for DH's birthday next week.

Alysha

Thanks for the feedback, brykate and Alysha. I think Jewel's ice cream is a go, but I'm still tossing around some ideas. If I use chunky PB, I might leave out the chocolate chips and make a chocolate sauce instead. I'm still deliberating on the bananas...

I think that banana rum ice cream you posted a link to sounds really yummy. too bad that there was only one review. I wouldn't necessarily trust a lone reviewer. It might just work fine -- afterall, the recipe did end up in Bon Appetit.

Count me as another lover of Jewel's PB ice cream. It doesn't taste icy as some lowfat ice creams taste. It really doesn't tast lowfat to me. I loved it. I left out the chips and ate it alone. I wouldn't add grilled bananas to the ice cream because I would worry about what it would do to the consistency and it would make it too "cluttered" or "busy." I think it would be a GREAT idea, however, to serve the PB ice cream on top of some grilled bananas! yum.

sorry it took so long to reply to this. I kept seeing the thread when I am busy and I have only now found the time to finally reply.

Originally posted by lindrusso
    I have found that letting the mixture chill overnight, especially the custards that are heated first, helps my ice cream turn out better. Once mixed in the machine, I like to let it freeze for another several hours or overnight until it gets the right amount of firmness.
    What she said.

Pico, I think the banana-rum ice cream sounds delicious! I would give it a try. I can't imagine that it would turn out dreadful. And I think your idea of grilled pineapple OR bananas sounds wonderful. I'd come over.

I'll come over too....after all I am in MD. But if you want a full fat Ben and jerry's Cherry Garcia, I posted that on the ice cream maker list.

Sami
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

Thanks again, guys. Now I'm flip-flopping... Sigh. I want to make both! And the cherry garcia looks delicious, too. Well, if this experiment goes well, you can bet that ice cream maker will be seeing a lot more action.

All right, I finally decided on the Banana Rum Ice Cream. The custard sauce is refrigerating now, awaiting the fateful day, and I am fervently crossing my fingers. It tastes good so far...

Wish I could invite you guys to try it! I'll be thinking of you tomorrow when the pineapple hits the grill.

If anyone's interested, the ice cream turned out much better than that lone Epicurious review indicates. It had a very smooth, creamy texture and very big banana flavor. My only complaint is that the rum was a bit overshadowed, but I did use a medium amber rum instead of a true dark one. I served it over broiled pinapple (the grill ran out of gas just in time for the party!) and sprinkled with macadamias. My guests really enjoyed it, and even my brother liked it (albeit smothered in chocolate sauce).

Next up: Jewel's peanut butter!

sounds fabulous. thanks for the review!! glad it was a hit.

Originally posted by Pico
    ... My only complaint is that the rum was a bit overshadowed, but I did use a medium amber rum instead of a true dark one...
    Ah ha! But she knows her rum! Happen to like a bit o rum myself -- but I have no idea as to ambers...
    Sounds great Pico. Glad it turned out so well. Lets make a date to do the Jewel PB together (virtually!) as it's on my list next as well.
    katie
    "You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think" -Christopher Robin

Sounds fun! When shall it be?