Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: O...M...G !

O...M...G !

I'd like to reserve this thread for the recipes that made your eyes roll to the back of your head and made you utter... OH,MY GAWD! (God)! - THE recipes that make your knees buckle and your body swoon!

Mine are:
    Val's Oreo Chunk Cookies
    Beth's Sourdough Waffles
    Moomie's Buns
    Anna's Almond Roca

I'm pretty sure that all of these can be found on the CL search - if not...let me know & I'll type them out. Your turn!

speaking of oreos...

the Outrageous Oreo Crunch Brownies posted by barrie are fabulous. They are basically the Barefoot Contessa's (fabulous) Outrageous Brownies with oreos thrown in. They are better than the Farm of Beverly Hills Brownies.

other favorite OMG recipes of mine include:

Almond Streusel Rolls
    Mrs Fields Carrot Cake
    Honeybun Cake
    Creme de Menthe Squares
    Mrs Fields Vermont Maple Walnut Bars with Maple Frosting
    White Chocolate Brownies
    Coconut Lime Sours
    Mrs Fields Coconut Mud Bars
    Cinnamon Buns

Yes, I would say all my OMG recipes are desserts. I never say OMG to anything else. Of course I can be enthusiastic about non-dessert recipes (like the recent wheatberry salads and recipes that have peanut sauce for example), but I wouldn't say OMG to them.

I can post any of these with no problem.

Here's mine. I actually haven't made an O-M-G recipe in quite a while

Chicken Cordon Bleu, "Mediterranean Flavors", Stellino
    Potato Rissoto with Bacon Cream Sauce, Bon Appetit, 1/99
    Chicken Fricassee, "Glorious Italian Cooking", Stellino
    Beef Tenderloin with Herb Cheese and Wine Sauce, Bon Appetit, 9/95

I also really liked Jim Fobel's Sticky Buns (CL 12/98), Mocha Fudge Pie (CL, 4/97), and Hawaiian Bubble Bread (CL, 12/94), but I don't think they made me "swoon"

I know there are more, but the 2 I can think of right now are:

JeAnne's Beverly Hill Farm Brownies and
    Not You Mama's Banana Pudding (can't remember whose recipe, but it's from Food Network)
    Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.

--Helen Keller

I almost put the Not Yo' Mama's Banana Pudding on mt list. It was sooo good. Mimo posted it. It is a Paula Deen recipe.

Well the minute i try and think of one all the great recipes I have treid vanish from my small brain vault.

Since I made this two days ago and LOVED it:

HRJ's Blueberry Pie is a OMG recipe for me!
    You think you're not ever going to be able to eat another thing, but alas, you will find yourself feeling strangely peckish around teatime. The more you eat, the more you want. That's the way it goes."

Nigella Lawson

VAL!! Could you post the Mrs. Fields Coconut Mud Bars? They sound amazing. I'm a lover of all things chocolate and coconut.
    Saraaaah!

here it is.

oops, I just realized that I made a bunch of modifications to the recipe, so in my Mastercook, I am just calling them "Coconut Mud Bars" not "Mrs. Fields Coconut Mud Bars." Well, modifications and all, these are really great.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Coconut Mud Bars

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    Bottom Layer:
    1 1/3 cups flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 Pinch salt
    1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
    1 stick unsalted butter -- slightly softened and cut into small pieces
    Ganache:
    18 ozs semisweet chocolate chips
    1/2 c heavy cream
    Topping:
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter -- softened (1/4 cup)
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon coconut extract -- optional
    2 large eggs
    1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
    1 1/2 cups chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 9 x 9" baking pan. Make the bottom layer: In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and brown sugar. With a pastry blender, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Press the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the crust is just set. Place the pan on a rack to cool, but leave the oven on.

Meanwhile, make the Ganache: Place the chocolate in a medium microwaveable bowl. In a small pan, bring the cream to a simmer. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate; let stand for a couple minutes, then stir. You will most likely need to pop this in the microwave to finish the melting process. Put it in the microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring between intervals, until the chocolate is melted. Pour the ganache over the crust and refrigerate for about 15 minutes to set the ganache.

Prepare the topping. In a medium bowl, cream the butter. Add the sugar, vanilla, and coconut extract, and beat until blended. Beat in the eggs. Stir in the coconut and pecans. Drop the coconut pecan topping evenly over the ganache and spread gently. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Set the pan on a wire rack to cool. Cut into bars.

I just made the Charlie Trotter beef tenderloin with roasted garlic sauce recipe from the September Bon Appetit restaurant issue. The sauce, in combination with an excellent cut of meat, was to die for! It's not light by any means, though, but great as a special occasion dish.

Also, the following dessert qualifies for me- one of those chocolate cakes that is cooked around the edges and warm and gooey in the middle. It's from Jean Georges and has 43g fat in a small ramekin! EEK!

Warm, Soft Chocolate Cake

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Dessert

1 stick butter -- (4 ounces) plus a little for buttering the molds

4 ounces bittersweet chocolate -- preferably Valrhona

2 eggs
    2 egg yolks
    1/4 cup sugar
    2 teaspoons flour -- plus a little more for dusting

1. Use a double boiler to heat the butter and chocolate together until the chocolate is almost completely melted. While that's heating, beat the eggs, yolks, and sugar together with a whisk or electric beater until light and thick.

2. Beat the melted chocolate and butter together; it should be quite warm. Pour in the egg mixture, then quickly beat in the flour, just until combined.

3. Butter and lightly flour four 4-ounce molds, custard cups, or ramekins. Tap out excess flour. Divide the batter among the molds. (At this point you can refrigerate the desserts until you are ready to eat, for up to several hours; bring them back to room temperature before cooking.)

4. Preheat the oven to 450DF. Bake the molds on a tray for 6 to 7 minutes; the center will still be quite soft, but the sides will be set.

5. Invert each mold onto a plate and let sit for about ten seconds. Unmold by lifting up one corner of the mold; the cake will fall out onto the plate. Serve immediately.

Description:
    "Jean Georges recipe from Saveur Dec 01"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 467 Calories; 43g Fat (76.9% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 262mg Cholesterol; 270mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 8 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Holly,

Can you please post the potato risotto recipe, thank you!

Elissa

Originally posted by elissaballard
    Holly,

Can you please post the potato risotto recipe, thank you!

Elissa
    Ditto!!! And maybe the beef tenderloin recipe, too?

Thanks!
    The road to someday leads to nowhere.

Oh, I simply MUST have the recipe for the Vermont Maple bars!!! I just adore maple....could I persuade someone to post it???? Thanks so much!

I second the request for the Maple bars. I have some Maple Syrup to be used on something other than pancakes/waffles/french toast.

My Omg's

BF's Lamb Stew
    A perfectly done Ribeye
    My choclate chip cookies
    BF's Spicy Lentils

Hmm, I think I am in a comfort food mood.

Okay. These things are really good. I wouldn't call them "bars." They are really almost the texture of a brownie -- "fudgy" and dense -- but they have the height of a cake (they came right up to the rim of the 8x8 inch pan that I used). The maple flavor is definitely strong enough but it isn't overwhelming. I normally love rich frostings, but the frosting here is kind of lighter and fluffier than a typical butter/cream cheese frosting. I think because you whip in the maple syrup. Anyway, the frosting tastes GREAT and its lighter texture goes perfectly with the rich bars. Mine took a bit longer to cook than the recipe stated. I left out the nuts because I don't like nuts in my desserts.

Vermont Maple Walnut Bars

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Desserts

Bars:
    2 c flour
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 c packed brown sugar
    1/2 c butter -- softened (use salted butter)
    1 c pure maple syrup
    1 egg
    2 tsps vanilla
    4 ozs walnuts -- chopped (about 1 cup)
    Frosting:
    1/2 c butter -- softened
    2 ozs cream cheese -- softened
    1 tbsp packed brown sugar
    3 tbsps pure maple syrup
    3/8 c powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 325. Grease an 8x8 pan. In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, and soda. Mix with whisk and set aside. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, blend sugar and butter to form a grainy paste. Scrape down sides of bowl and add syrup, egg, and vanilla. Beat on medium until smooth. Add flour mixture and walnuts and blend on low until JUST combined. Pour into pan and smooth with a spatula. Bake 40-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes, then invert onto cooling rack. Cool completely before frosting.

Frosting: Cream butter and cream cheese with mixer on high speed. Add brown sugar and maple syrup and beat until smooth. Reduce speed to medium and slowly add powdered sugar. Once sugar is incorporated, increase speed to high. If frosting appears thin, gradually add more powdered sugar until it thickens. Spread frosting on cooled bars.

Source:
    "Mrs Field's Best Cookie Book Ever"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Some of my OMG's...

Citrus-Cream Cheese Pull-Apart Rolls (reducing the sugar a bit--CL)
    Cranberry Macadamia Bars (BH&G)
    Burst O' Lemon Muffins (Taste of Home)
    Lemon Chicken (Hometown Cooking)
    Fresh Apple Cake (Hometown Cooking)
    Pumpkin Cinnamon Streusel Buns (iced with a cream cheese icing--CL)
    Individual Toffee, Pecan, and Peach Crisps (using fresh peaches and a little less butter--Bon Appetit)
    Fruit Pizza with Orange Sauce (BH&G)
    Pineapple Casserole (my adaptation)

My most recent OMG's:

Cedar Plank Trout - Food Network
    - I made this on Saturday night for guests, and I couldn't believe just how good this turned out, for SO LITTLE effort! I used gorgeous bright red steelhead trout, and it was absolutely perfect! I can post if anyone wants it.

Kahlua Tiramisu - Bon Appetit (09/2001) by way of epicurious.com
    - one of the most impressive desserts I've ever made

Beef Wellingtons Gorgonzola - Gourmet 01/1998 by way of Peggy C. who got it from epicurious.com

Chocolate Chunk Bread Puddings - CL J/F 2003
    - This is probably DH's favorite OMG recipe

I can't think of others right now, but I am sure I will later!
    We figured there was too much happiness here for just the two of us, so we figured the next logical step was to have us a critter.

- H.I. McDunnough, "Raising Arizona"
    --------------------------------------------------
    Ask me about Kelly's Kids children's clothes!

Originally posted by RebeccaT
    My most recent OMG's:

Beef Wellingtons Gorgonzola - Gourmet 01/1998 by way of Peggy C. who got it from epicurious.com

That was an OMG for me too! Rebecca do you remember I was looking for those little tiny cookie cutters so I could decorate them with puff pastry? Pampered Chef sells them now I just ordered some.
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

Let's see.

CL's Chocolate Hazelnut Cheesecake

CL's White Russian Tiramisu

Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook's New York Cheesecake

Pilgrim's Nielsen Massey Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Buttermilk Icing-- something I found on Recipezaar.com

Some of mine are:

Pork Scalloppine with Tomato Basil Cream Sauce from Chris Schlesinger

Chewy, Triple Chocolate Brownies from Cook's Illustrated

Nigella's Molten Chocolate Baby Cakes

Editing to say: OMG how could I forget Beth's Fresian Sugar Loaf or the French Nut Bread. My very favorite Herbed Peasant Bread from the HayDay Cookbook is right up there too!

Brie Kisses
    Maple Mustard Cedar Planked Salmon-Epicurious
    Mustard Mashed Potatoes
    Walnut Molasses Bread-CL

An Italian Sausage soup from Sunset magazine
    Raspberry Sour Cream Swirl Cake-CL
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

White Russian Tiramisu - CL
    My homemade matzo ball soup (if I do say so myself ...)
    roasted garlic mashed potatoes

SWquilts:I don't think I've seen the CL recipe for walnut molasses bread - would you mind posting it? Sounds great!

Would someone please post the Not Your Mama's Banana Pudding or a link to the recipe? For some reason I cannot find it using the search function. Thank you!

I found this, with MiMo's comments:

I copied this Paula Deen recipe from the Food Network website a while back. Most of her recipes are seriously fattening, but I lighten this up by using 1% milk, 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, and fat-free sweetened condensed milk. You can also use fat-free or light Cool Whip (I admit I used whipping cream instead and it was to die for). I've only made this once, but there was none left to bring home. I will be making this many times during the summer to take to parties and barbecues. Enjoy! Let me know if you make it and how it was.

Not Yo' Mama's Banana Pudding

2 bags Pepperidge Farm Chessmen cookies
    6 to 8 bananas, sliced
    2 cups milk
    1 (5-ounce) box instant French vanilla or banana-flavored pudding
    1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
    1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
    1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping thawed, or equal amount sweetened whipped cream

Line the bottom of a 13 by 9 by 2-inch dish with 1 bag of cookies and layer bananas on top.
    In a bowl, combine the milk and pudding mix and blend well using a handheld electric mixer. Using another bowl, combine the cream cheese and condensed milk together and mix until smooth. Fold the whipped topping into the cream cheese mixture. Add the cream cheese mixture to the pudding mixture and stir until well blended. Pour the mixture over the cookies and bananas and cover with the remaining cookies. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Yield: 12 servings

That was so quick! Thanks very much.

Originally posted by valchemist
    speaking of oreos...

the Outrageous Oreo Crunch Brownies posted by barrie are fabulous. They are basically the Barefoot Contessa's (fabulous) Outrageous Brownies with oreos thrown in. They are better than the Farm of Beverly Hills Brownies.
    Val, I'm so glad you liked them! Did you end up making them in a smaller pan and, if so, how thick were they?

To me, anything in which I can taste the butter and/or cream is pretty much worth an OMG, and rarely do I get that serious about consuming that many calories in one sitting!

Thus, real, homemade fettucini alfredo is my biggest at-home OMG splurge. I always make the basic, on the box recipe, but sometimes I also pan-fry chicken breasts with it and put grated mozzerella or parmesan in the flour/salt/pepper mixture (try it--fabulous!)

My other favorite is double chocolate pudding. I'm pretty sure I got the recipe from Gourmet, but either way, I know it's available at epicurious.com.
    FAN-tastic.

Kayaksoup,

What are BF's Spicy Lentils? Would you please post the recipe if it's not too much trouble? Thanks.

Originally posted by Barrie

Val, I'm so glad you liked them! Did you end up making them in a smaller pan and, if so, how thick were they?
    glad you saw this thread, barrie.

I baked these in two pans -- one 8x8 inch and one 9x9 inch pan. that worked out well. the brownies were very thick that way. came up almost to the egde of the pan. two 9x9 inch pans would probably have been even better. A 15x10 jelly roll pan would have worked perfectly, too. I broke the oreos into quaters and that was good. really rich. very fudgy. and the oreos did stay crunchy. you couldn't taste the coffee, but I am sure it added to the rich chocolate taste.

CL's Derby Pie that was in this March or April's issue was fantastic.

I'd also have to say that the chicken burgers with peanut sauce that were in the recent burger issue would make that cut, too. I think I actually DID say Oh My God to those!