Community Message Boards

Thread: Fruit Salad - How far in advance can I make it?

Fruit Salad - How far in advance can I make it?

It's just cut fruit (strawberries, apples, bananas, grapes, etc.) in fresh orange and lemon juice. After you make it it needs to sit for two hours.

My question is, if I'm serving this on Saturday morning can I make this Friday evening?

Or can I at least cup up the fruit that won't discolor, like the oranges and bananas and put them into the freezer until I need them?

Thanks,

Krystal

I'm not an expert, but I'd do everything except the bananas...and add those in two hours before serving. Everything else should hold up.
    Curious what others will say.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I agree with Wallycat, about doing all except the bananas ahead of time. I think if you freeze the cut up fruit, the texture of the salad will be different than what you want.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

The only fruit salad I make is all-berries, but I made a batch Sunday night (no dressing) and the fruit looks remarkably good, still! I'd think berries would be about the most fragile of fruits -besides bananas- so I agree with Ana and Lara; I'd make it Friday. (I wouldn't freeze fruit.)

Southern beaches area of Sydney, Australia
    Apart from the apples and bananas discolouring, wouldn't the berries start to go soft and "mushy" if you do it the night before (even when refrigerated)? What about the juices and fruit starting to ferment making the fruit less than al dente and fresh-tasting?

I am *all* for doing things in advance, and perhaps Australian fruit is "different" to US fruit (picking/storage/selling etc), but fruit salad is one thing I'd do at the last moment. I'd find other things to do ahead. That's just, in my experience and opinion, fruit salad is a necessary "last minute" affair. Hope this helps.

Your version is a bit different than what I usually make, but I agree that I would try to do it as close to serving time as possible. I usually cut up my fruit and store each type separate, then combine just prior to serving. It is always best when I cut it up just before I need it.

Lisa

Thank you all for your input. I think what I'll do is get the peaches, oranges, strawberries and grapes ready the night before and then do the rest before I serve it.

I'm hosting a breakfast on Saturday for 13 and since I'm not known to be an early riser I was hoping to get a lot of the work done the night before!