Community Message Boards

Thread: Why do you saute onions and garlic first?

Question Why do you saute onions and garlic first?

Most recipes that contain chopped onion and/or garlic tell you to saute first, then add the other ingredients, whether it's for a soup or stew or whatever. Why is that? When I make spaghetti sauce, for example, I usually just add the chopped garlic to the simmering sauce. Am I doing a bad thing? Would it be better if I sauteed it first? Same with soup. I don't saute the onions before I add the other stuff, I just add the onions along with other raw vegetables to the pot and simmer.

Hi JulieM! This is Julie O. Think there's a Julie N.??

Anyway, it's to caramelize the surface of the garlic and onion. They have a different taste caramelized than when you stick them in the sauce later. I've actually tried both. When you add them to the sauce raw, they continue to have a bit of a raw taste. It's more work, but I would try cooking the garlic and onion first. You might like it!

A friend of my mother's used to do that just to keep her DH and kids from pestering her as to when dinner was. As long as they could smell garlic & onion sauteeing, it didn't matter!
    There cannot be a crisis today. My schedule is already full.
    -Henry Kissinger

hmmm, I assumed it was to make the house smell delightful.

nothing better then smelling sauteed garlic, onions and celery!

As Julie O. said, sweating, sautéing, or caramelizing changes the flavor significantly (onions are very high in sugar) and converts them to sweet and deep-flavored rather than sharp or raw. It's important in making soup, too, because the onions and garlic (and often a traditional mirepoix) are real building blocks of flavor; it's those "building blocks" that lend a depth of flavor or complexity. So those sautéd onions (or carrots/celery, etc.) will in turn flavor your soup broth. Your other vegetables will take care of "bulk" in addition to flavor. I have to say, though, that I often wait a minute or two to add the garlic because it's so much smaller than the onion dices and if I start them together (if it's a somewhat long sauté) I'm afraid it will brown and become bitter.
    Hope that helps a little.

I do it with the onions 'cause I can't stand raw, crunchy onions in my food. Garlic isn't a problem because it's small and cooks faster, and I like it crunchy.
    Just another Susan

"Peggy, here I am tryin' to contain an outbreak, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" Hank Hill

www.thebreastcancersite.com Click here to fund free mammograms!

Well, I knew there must be a good reason, I just didn't know what it was! Maybe that's why I'm often not happy with my soup broth. Thanks everyone for the info. I knew you would know the answer.

i do not care for raw onions, so i always try to sautee the onions & garlic first! it gets all soft & mellow & fragrant. makes the house smell so good!

i think a lot of recipes call to do it first so there isnt such a sharp/strong onion & garlic flavor so it doesnt dominate the dish and instead just accent it.

like canice said- it does change the flavor, for the better IMO.