Community Message Boards

Thread: Copycat Recipe sites

Hybrid View

Copycat Recipe sites

Y'all, I've been checking the copycat sites, looking for a recipe that I can't find. But I did want to take a sec to post links to those sites for new BB members or those who haven't taken advantage of them yet. They're a tremendous source of info for recreating restaurant recipes that we know, and finding some new ones. Following is a recipe that I came across that looks incredible, and I can't wait to try it!

The 2 sites I use are:

Recipe Goldmine
    CopyKat Recipes

And here's that recipe:

JANOS EXOTIC MUSHROOM CHILEQUILES

Posted by Tiffany at recipegoldmine.com 12/29/2001 9:07 pm

Source: Recipe courtesy Janos Wilder

Janos is a well-known restaurant in Tucson, Arizona.

9 yellow corn tortillas, fried
    3 portobello mushrooms, medium diced and sautéed
    1 1/2 cup diced tomato
    1 cup diced scallions
    2 cups grated yellow cheddar cheese
    1 1/2 cups Red Chili Veloute, recipe follows
    1 cup diced red onion
    Smoked Poblano Crema, recipe follows

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Layer 3 tortillas in the bottom of a well-greased 9 x 12 x 2-inch casserole dish and coarsely crush the tortillas leaving fairly large sized pieces. Layer with 1/2 the sautéed mushrooms, 1/2 the tomatoes, and 1/2 the scallions, then sprinkle with 1/2 cup of Cheddar.
    Using your hands, compress the layers so that the ingredients are tightly packed. Moisten layer with 1/2 cup of the veloute. Repeat the process with the tortillas, mushrooms, tomatoes, scallions, and cheddar, again pressing firmly to tightly pack the ingredients. Crush the remaining tortillas on top, then moisten with remaining veloute and top with the remaining cheddar.

Cover with parchment and aluminum foil and bake about 45 minutes, or until cooked throughout and all cheese is melted. Cool and cut into individual servings.

For Chorizo Chilequiles: Add 1 1/2 chorizo on the bottom 2 layers and delete the scallions and tomatoes.

Red Chili Veloute
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 tablespoon high gluten flour
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1 1/2 teaspoons hot chili powder
    1/2 tablespoon fresh crushed garlic
    1/2 quart strong chicken stock
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Make a medium dark roux with the oil and flour. When the roux is cooked, whisk in the tomato paste, chili powder, and garlic. Using room temperature chicken stock, begin to work the chicken stock into the roux adding a little at a time until each addition is fully incorporated. Continue until all the chicken stock has been added, then bring to a simmer for 10 minutes until the sauce is completely incorporated. Strain the sauce through a fine mesh strainer. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
    Yield: 1/2 quart

Smoked Poblano Crema
    2 smoked poblano chiles
    1 cup sour cream
    In a blender puree all ingredients. Serve with Exotic Mushroom Chilequiles.
    Yield: 1 cup
    Yield: 5 appetizer servings
    Just another Susan

"Peggy, here I am tryin' to contain an outbreak, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" Hank Hill

www.thebreastcancersite.com Click here to fund free mammograms!

Thanks! And don't forget our good friend Robbie Haferkamp.

Seriously, I love this site. I don't know about psychic cruises though.....

Didn't know about Robbie's site...thanks!!
    Just another Susan

"Peggy, here I am tryin' to contain an outbreak, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" Hank Hill

Thank you, little_bopeep for Janos Exotic Mushroom Chilequiles. I posted a request a couple of weeks ago for portobello mushroom recipes so this is right up my alley!

Thank you also, claire797, for Robbie Hakercamp's site. It looks great.

Here is an additional site of copycat recipes that I have bookmarked, "Top Secret Recipes on the Web":

http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/

From what I've read in the past, the two sites are kinda rivals. One gets upset that the other one posts "stolen" recipes, while they themselves work and work to recreate the recipes legitimately. Ehhh...doesn't matter to me where they came from, as long as they're there. (My apologies to those of you who have ethics. )
    Just another Susan