Community Message Boards

Thread: Can I freeze leftover canned beans?

Can I freeze leftover canned beans?

My family isn't big on beans, and I often don't use a whole can of black beans in a recipe. Can I freeze the leftover beans, rinsed and out of the can? Would the texture be ok to use again, say in a salsa, or pasta salad type dish, or would they only be good for pureeing? What about garbanzos or white beans?

This is from the Bush Beans website:

Because the canning process preserves our products, it is not necessary to freeze the product for long-term storage. If frozen for a short period of time, there should not be a significant change in the flavor, but the character of the beans will most likely be altered. After being frozen, the beans tend to be much softer than normal. If you do decide to freeze our products, we do not recommend freezing for an extended period of time or freezing in the can. After prolonged freezing, beans may develop a "freezer burn" taste.

The best way to store the product after opening the can is in the refrigerator in an airtight container. This preserves the beans for 2-3 days we do not recommend refrigerating the beans in the can.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Then I found this on the NCSU website:

After cooking, rinse the beans, cool and package in freezer containers and then freeze for up to one year. Add frozen beans to soups, salads or other recipes. Freezing 1-2/3 cups of cooked beans per package yields the same measurement as using a can of beans.

So I'd say it's worth a test run anyway!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

It sounds like they would be a little mushy after defrosting. I guess I will just try it and see what happens.

I freeze beans I've already cooked all the time and I don't notice them being significantly more mushy. So, I would say go for it.

Carrie