Community Message Boards

Thread: URGENT - do I need to brown this pot roast first??

Exclamation URGENT - do I need to brown this pot roast first??

Help!
    I'm making Black Forest Pot Roast right now. It needs to go in the crockpot in the next 15-20 minutes. The recipe doesn't call for browning on all sides first - but don't I need to?

Here's the recipe:

Black Forest Pot Roast
    3 1/2 lbs boneless beef chuck or round bone roast
    1 onion~~chopped
    1/4 cup water
    4 dried shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, crumbled & rinsed (I used regular button mushrooms, sliced)
    1/4 cup ketchup
    1/4 cup dry red wine
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    1 clove garlic~~crushed
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    3 tablespoons water
    Trim all visible fat from meat; place in slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine onion, water mushrooms, ketchup, wine, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and garlic. (I pre-sautéed the onions and mushrooms first.) Pour mixture over meat. Cover and cook on Low about 8 hours. Remove meat and slice. Keep meat warm. (I didn't have to do this as my roast was falling-apart tender.) Turn control to High. Dissolve cornstarch in water; stir into cooker. Cover and cook on high 15 to 20 minutes or until thickened.
    Serve sauce with meat.

Thanks!!!
    Kuvy

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."
    Anais Nin (1903-1977)

I've never made this recipe, but I would automatically say. Brown it.
    My two cents worth. Maybe someone who has made this will answer.....
    Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
    Anthony Bourdain

Any roast that I've put in the crockpot has not been browned ahead of time. Just my 2 cents.....
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

You never 'have' to brown meat before cooking it. Browning just adds extra depth of flavor to the end dish. It is always an optional step, but one that I usually do, unless I am really pressed for time.
    Anne

When you start to cook, as when you begin to live, you think that the point is to improve the technique until you end up with something perfect, and that the reason you haven’t been able to break the cycle of desire and disillusion is that you haven’t yet mastered the rules. Then you grow up, and you learn that that’s the game.

Adam Gopnik, The New Yorker

I always brown a chuck roast before slow cooking it. I also thought the reason had something to do with the fact that it's a fatty cut of meat.

I've never browned a roast before putting it in the crockpot.
    People are as happy as they make up their minds to be.

-- Abraham Lincoln

For safety reasons it is best to sear the meat to kill surface bacteria and to raise the temperature of the roast before setting it in the relatively cool pot. The roast needs to reach an internal temperature of at least 140 deg F as soon as possible. Also a good idea to check the strangth of your crock pot (how fast it reached the appropriate temperature.

I have put browned and raw meat in my crockpot before, but after taking my ServSafe food protection management course, I always brown the meat first.

Food should rest for no longer than 4 hours in the "danger zone" of 40 to 140 deg F. I wouldn't even leave it that long, personally. Hope this helps!