Community Message Boards

Thread: HOA activity ideas needed

HOA activity ideas needed

My community doesn't seem to be very social and at a recent annual HOA meeting there were about 10 other new families to the neighborhood who also said the same thing - haven't met anyone since they moved in and they all wanted to meet more neighbors. So we're trying to create programs for a more active community. I'm in charge of the social committee and I'm looking for ideas. I've been in charge of social events before but that was a group of women with similar interests. Our HOA is more diverse and many familes have children.

Here are my ideas so far:
    Holiday cookie exchange (adults only)
    Holiday lights decorating contest
    Summer pot luck
    Easter egg hunt
    Spring Cleaning garage sale
    Something for Halloween but I'm not sure what to do

For our annual meeting I organized a dessert social to follow the meeting - it was a great success - higher turnout than past years.

We're also going to start a newletter and website to increase participation at events and increase community communication.

My HOA's most attended program is the annual holiday party. We have mild winters here in Central Texas, so the party takes place in our common playground area. The association decorates the area with a mess of lights and hooks up some big outdoor speakers for holiday music. There's cookies and hot chocolate, Santa, face painting, etc. But the highlight is horse-drawn carriage rides through the neighborhood. Everybody loves it.

We also do a big Easter egg hunt in the spring.

An idea on a smaller scale could be a "Tables for 8" type thing. See how many people sign up, then divide everyone into (more or less) groups of 8. These people meet once a month for a meal--generally at one another's homes, but each group can decide on their own how it's going to work. We do two of these a year--one starting in the fall and another in the spring. It's a great way to get to meet people you ordinarily would not.

I'm sure others will have more ideas. I'll be interested in seeing them, too.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

How about a perrenials flower swap. When it is time to divide the plants because they have become too big, most people hate to throw them away.

Daniele
    newcook

What is HOA??
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

Linda - Home Owner's Association
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

Originally posted by HejazSunKat
    What is HOA??
    I think it's home owner assoc.

For halloween maybe have a kids party during the day on Sat. Nov. 1st? Do the regular bobbing for apples and such. Ask those w/o kids to help out with donations of treats or their time helping with games.

Or have an adult costume party? I personally love fall and thing a steak roast or clambake would be great. Clambakes can get kind of expensive so you could more of a potluck. Certain people on one street are assigned to do appetizers another street sides and another desserts. Eveyone could bring their own item to throw on a grill?
    Peggy
    ...Wag more
    Bark less

Originally posted by badunnin
    Linda - Home Owner's Association
    Ah, thank you!
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

How nice to live in a neighborhood of people that want to get to know each other. How about a series of progressive dinners? I don't know how many people are involved but you could break up into more manageable groups and have several. Then people would have a chance to see each others homes and learn more about their interests.

Peggy

DmOrtega Guest

Re: HOA activity ideas needed

Originally posted by DanaSD
    Something for Halloween but I'm not sure what to do
    A pumpkin carving contest to be voted on by ballot by the home owners sounds like fun, along with a party for the kids (already suggested). Gee, I wish I could get the neighbors interested in activies like this. I'll have to ponder this idea.

Make apple butter outdoors with a kettle! It is FUN! It is delicious and you can have a day long activity doing it. everyone can bring a covered dish to the designated area. Peel apples the night before. Sotore them in trash bags and then cook 'em up the next day. I love making applebutter.
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

The weekend before Halloween, our neighborhood will have a fall festival with lots of games and such for the kids in the park. We made the bean bag toss (a ghost). If you want some ideas for games, let me know.

At our last house, there was a January 1st "parade" around the neighborhood -- everyone bringing an instrument, a pot or pan, a kazoo or something. There were a few folks who actually played real instruments and kept a tune for others to play along with. There was a unicycle, someone on stilts, a few on skates, strollers, etc. We began and ended at the pond and the kids had snacks. It was a totally fun and silly thing and a way to get out with your neighbors, say happy new year and make sure the year didn't start too seriously.

We also have a number of bunco and pokeeno groups -- day and evening ones, around here. What about the soup night idea -- perhaps on a rotating basis? In the summer, our scouts do awatermelons and waterguns evening -- that might be fun if there are young kids.

Originally posted by Robyncz
    An idea on a smaller scale could be a "Tables for 8" type thing. See how many people sign up, then divide everyone into (more or less) groups of 8. These people meet once a month for a meal--generally at one another's homes, but each group can decide on their own how it's going to work. We do two of these a year--one starting in the fall and another in the spring. It's a great way to get to meet people you ordinarily would not.
    Can you tell me more about Tables for 8 - that sounds like fun. Do you make new groups of 8 each fall and spring? Is it always 4 couples - we have some single and for me my DF travels a lot so it would be hit or miss if he was home. How do you handle signups - send out a mailing and then someone puts together the groups?

I only have 6 dining room chairs...I might need to make it tables for 6.

Thanks for the great ideas - this is getting me excited to start planning.

I love the idea of a pumpkin carving contest - that will be really easy to organise.

The Tables for 8 groups I have organized have been pretty flexible. There's a pretty good mix of couples and singles. And, because of mathematics, there aren't really always 8 people in a group. . .

We've found 8 to be a good number. That way, if a couple of people can't make it, it still seems like a group. When you get down to 6 and a couple cancel, it's not quite as fun. We've been in several groups where people didn't have enough space at the dining room table. We've set up card tables; we've eaten buffet-style; we've eaten outside. There are lots of ways to make it work if you keep it casual.

When I organized Tables for 8, it was at church, so people were able to sign up in person over the course of a couple of weeks. Then we had a big potluck where people got their group assignments, meet the people in their group, and make plans for their first dinner. I'm not sure how you'd want to do the sign up for a HOA. I'd probably send out letters with a phone number or e-mail address for people to respond to. I'd include the date and location of the start-up potluck (which I'd do in your community center, if you have one), and a specific deadline for signing up. If the association isn't too big, I'd also think about following up the letter to make it more personal.

Each group makes their own plans in terms of when and where they will meet and whether children will be involved. Though many of us had children in all of the groups I have been in, we have never rarely them. All the parents were in agreement that it would be more fun without. . .

We organize new groups every spring and fall so people have the opportunity to meet new people.

I'm not sure how you'd want to do the sign up for a HOA. I'd probably send out letters with a phone number or e-mail address for people to respond to. I'd include the date and location of the start-up potluck (which I'd do in your community center, if you have one), and a specific deadline for signing up. If the association isn't too big, I'd also think about following up the letter to make it more personal.

Now I'm thinking I'd like to do this for my HOA. It actually never occurred to me until you posted your question.
    You can pm me if you have any other questions. . .
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White