Community Message Boards

Thread: Converting 8X8 Dessert Recipe to 9X13

Converting 8X8 Dessert Recipe to 9X13

Does anyone have guidelines or tips for converting a recipe designed to be baked in an 8X8 pan to preparing a larger amount in a 9X13 pan? I love the Butterscotch Bars from CL Jan-Feb 2000 but I need to make more than what I get from the current recipe (which is prepared in an 8X8 pan). I am wondering how to convert the recipe for a 9X13 pan so that I get some more bars. I was thinking about doubling the recipe ingredients but I am not sure if I should bake at the same temp and for the same amount of time? Any tips, suggestions, etc.? Thanks.

I usually double a recipe when going from 8 by 8 to 9 by 13. It just bakes a little longer.

I do it all the time (who on EARTH makes brownies/bars in an 8x8 pan??) - and I always just double it. 8x8 is an area of 64" and 9x13 is 117" - close enough to twice as much. As for baking time, I just add maybe 10 minutes and then just check it a lot (same temp). Never had any problems at all.

Originally posted by Ms. Chevious
    ...(who on EARTH makes brownies/bars in an 8x8 pan??) ...
    Those who are only making brownies/bars for two. And don't want to eat the whole of a 9x13 pan at a shot. Or be blamed for "making that many" which then lie around compelling the non-baker to eat almost the whole of the 9x13 pan, minus the one square that the baker managed to collar for herself first.

Originally posted by CompassRose

Those who are only making brownies/bars for two. And don't want to eat the whole of a 9x13 pan at a shot. Or be blamed for "making that many" which then lie around compelling the non-baker to eat almost the whole of the 9x13 pan, minus the one square that the baker managed to collar for herself first.
    This sounds suspiciously familiar....
    Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
    Anthony Bourdain

Thanks All!

I will go with my plan to double the recipe (I knew the math made it close!) and then bake a little longer under a watchful eye!

The baking for two comment was right on - it's just DH and I and he is not a dessert fan (I know, crazy man!) so whenever I bake I usually wind up packaging up some of the results and delivering it to my parents and my sister and her husband - who all live close by. I am making the Butterscotch Bars for a family dinner tomorrow night and when I've made the 8X8 before there weren't any leftovers for me to take home - Horrors! Hopefully with the 9X13 I can still have some for breakfast the next morning!

Thanks again all!

Originally posted by Ms. Chevious
    I do it all the time (who on EARTH makes brownies/bars in an 8x8 pan??)
    No one. No one on earth. In fact, I'll just have to return the 8x8 pan I bought at Garden Ridge for the SOLE PURPOSE OF MAKING BROWNIES back to the store.

They Are All Gone!

Even with the 9X13 conversion, not a single Butterscotch Bar left for breakfast this morning! I was able to send a few home with my grandmother for her to enjoy with her tea over the next couple of days so that made me happy! Oh, and my crazy, usually non-dessert eating DH had two of these last night! I think this has become a 9X13 recipe permanently!

As far as the conversion goes, I doubled the receipe and wound up not needing to extend the baking time at all but my oven tends to run a little on the hot side (hotter than a normal oven, that is!).