Community Message Boards

Thread: Review - Sweet-Spicy Glazed Salmon

Thumbs up Review - Sweet-Spicy Glazed Salmon

This is from October and was delish. I had never used the chinese spicy mustard on salmon, but it was a nice change from our usual salmon recipes. I followed the recipe exactly (I usually grill salmon), and it was great roasted in the oven. We had wild rice and asparagus with sesame oil and soy sauce on the side. We will definitely be making this again!

Edited to add: It was sooo easy too. With a new baby it is so great to have simple recipes like this .

Anita

Thanks for the review! I have a huge piece of salmon in the freezer (on sale--what can I say? ) and this sounds great. I'm curious about the spicy mustard though--anyone know what else it's good for?

Pico,

Ever been to PF Changs? The special "sauce" they make uses soy sauce, vingear, spicy oil, and chinese mustard. It is so good. That is what I use it for. I am sure there are many other uses.

Anita

I've never been to PF Changs, Anita, but the sauce sounds like something I'd enjoy. Thanks for the tip!

I'd like to make this tonight, but I don't have chinese mustard. Any suggestions for substitution? Thanks!

Ashleenicole,

Did not see your post, but I think in the recipe they mention using Wasabi. Chinese mustard has a bit of a kick to it. Maybe something with horseradish???

Anita

I made this tonight, and want to give my review:

FANTASTIC

We had the mustard, because DH bought it many years ago when he was on a Chinese food kick. I had never touched it. This was so good! We also had the sweet potatoes and brocolli just like the magazine recommended, and it was a great meal. The brown sugar-pecan butter on the microwaved sweet potatoes was so simple, yet so good.
    A definite repeater.
    Julie

I made this last night. DH and I loved it. The salmon felt like butter melting in my mouth! I am not sure if it was the cooking technique, roast in the oven then place in broiler or if I was just very lucky with timing and also with the piece of salmon I bought??? Usually when I make salmon, I tend to broil it and it can dry out a little quick on me if I am not careful, so we were very impressed with this one.

I did not have the right mustard, so I just used the stone-ground mustard I had in the fridge. So, ours was more sweet then spicy w/ that change. Acutally, not spicy at all. I would have liked to have tried the other mustard with this recipe though .

We served it with Sweet Sweet Potatoes, WOW!! I mashed those, very good. And a Ginger and Garlic Broccoli recipe I got off of epicurious.

Very good!!

Had this salmon recipe for dinner tonight. Absolutely excellent!! We added a clove of pressed garlic, I like garlic with salmon. It was icely spicy with the mustard but next time I might add a bit of wasabi powder as well.

We had it with green rice (rice with chopped spinach, coriander, parsley, green onions and a chopped jalapeno stirred in) and lemon asparagus.

Question

Hey ladies. I can't locate my receipe. Any chance someone could post this for me? THANKS!

Sweet-Spicey Salmon

Sweet-Spicey Salmon
    3 T dark brown sugar
    1 T low sodium soy sauce
    4 t Chinese style hot mustard
    1 t rice vinegar
    4-6oz. salmon fillets, about 1" thick
    Cooking spray
    1/4 t salt
    1/4 t freshlly ground black pepper

1. Preheat oven 425 degrees
    2. Combine first four ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
    3. Place fish on a foil lined jelly roll pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the fish. Bake for 12 minutes, remove from oven.
    4. Preheat broiler.
    5. Brush sugar mixture over salmon andbroil 3 inches from heat for 3 minutes or until it flakes

NA 252 Cals, 10.3 Fat, 11g Carbs, 27.7 Prot
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

If you like Chinese egg rolls, I like to have spicy mustard on hand to eat with them because regular mustard is just not enough.

Try mixing horseradish (aka wasabi) into your regular mustard or the mixture. It might help.
    Never mistake motion for action.
    -Ernest Hemingway

We had this last night with rice and steamed asparagus. Fabulous! And it's easy enough to be a weeknight recipe - always a plus.

YUM!

We had this last night and it was fab! Easy and delicious. A repeater for sure!
    Sara