Community Message Boards

Thread: Grill or Broil?

Hybrid View

Grill or Broil?

We do not have a grill and there are so many recipes that look so promising that call for grilling. I want to try the Lemon-Soy Salmon from CL October issure. Is there any rule of thumb to using grill recipes and converting them to broiling. Or is this a really dumb question?

TIA
    Joan

For grilling over direct heat, it seems to be a one-to-one for broiling (grill 10 mins, broil 10 mins). I have no clue how to convert a recipe where it says to grill over indirect heat, so I skip those recipes

Tyra
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Joan, how about using a stovetop grill pan? I've heard the Lodge castiron ones are great! When a recipe calls for indirect heat you could cook at a lower temp maybe??
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

I've seen those grill pans in stores, but thought they were more a gimmick than for cooking as one does on an outdoor grill. Would you really use the pan just as you would do a regular grill..... I'm really not very knowledgeable regarding this particular way of cooking. From everyone's comments on other threads I must be out in "left field" since everyone seems to be using this cooking method.

Originally posted by JHaris
    I've seen those grill pans in stores, but thought they were more a gimmick than for cooking as one does on an outdoor grill. Would you really use the pan just as you would do a regular grill..... I'm really not very knowledgeable regarding this particular way of cooking. From everyone's comments on other threads I must be out in "left field" since everyone seems to be using this cooking method.
    I feel the same way Joan...I don't have a grill, I broil instead. I don't know what the advantage of a grill pan over a regular pan vs a broiler

Tyra
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

I have a grill pan that I use occasionally, but prefer to broil. The only thing I think the grill pan gives you are the grill lines on whatever you're grilling.

JHarris,
    We just got a charcoal grill this summer and are still figuring it out. Last time DH grilled there were huge flames that would not go away. Now that cooler weather is here, we will just broil instead. I was going to buy a grill pan b/c I saw one on sale, but decided just to use the broiling method like I used have before. Basically, I just broil until the meat is done, it is really quick. I am constantly checking it. Sometimes the marinade burns on the pan, but it usually works well. I would always prefer the grilled flavor though.
    Hope this helps.
    michelle

Personally, I think a grill pan is a pain in the arse to clean. If you have a cast iron pan, a quick sear is as good as a broil. I have a grill pan I haven't used since the second time I had to clean it, several years ago!
    Sonja in Southern Maryland

All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others. -Michael Carr

Thank you all for your comments. I don't feel so out of it now. Looks like my first impression of those grill pans was correct. As far as having the grill lines............................?

We have eaten at people's homes where they considered themselves experts in this method of outdoor cooking and all we ate was charred food. Broiling seems to be more accurate to me.

From Cooking Light J/F 1998.

Grilled Pepper Steak With Bell Pepper Salsa.

INGREDIENTS:
    1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
    2 tablespoons molasses
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    4 (4-ounce) beef tenderloin steaks (about 1 inch thick)
    3 large shallots, peeled and halved lengthwise
    1 large red bell pepper, seeded and quartered (about 8 ounces)
    1 large yellow bell pepper, seeded and quartered (about 8 ounces)
    Cooking spray
    4 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
    Thyme sprigs (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS:
    Combine first 10 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Seal and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes. Remove steaks
    and vegetables from bag, reserving marinade. Place reserved marinade in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook until
    reduced to 3 tablespoons (about 2 minutes).

Place a grill pan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until hot. Add shallots and bell peppers; cook 3
    minutes on each side or until crisp-tender. Chop shallots and bell peppers; place in a small bowl. Stir in reduced
    marinade; set aside.

Press 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper onto 1 side of each steak. Wipe pan clean with paper towels; recoat with cooking
    spray. Place pan over medium-high heat until hot. Add steaks, peppered sides down; cook 3 minutes on each side or until
    desired degree of doneness. Add bell pepper salsa; cook until thoroughly heated. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.

NUTRITIONAL INFO:
    calories: 245 carbohydrates: 14.6 g cholesterol: 71 fat: 9.7 g sodium: 209 mg protein: 25.2 g calcium: 51 mg iron: 5.9 mg
    fiber: 2.1 g

YIELD:
    Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 steak and 1/2 cup salsa).