Community Message Boards

Thread: Need help with Beef Round Tip Steak

Need help with Beef Round Tip Steak

Ok, I won't go into the reasons, but I picked up some of this steak at the store. I'm pretty ignorant about beef since we never ate it at home when I was growing up. So with that said, can someone tell me what I can do with this steak? It's cut really thin (but not thin enough for a philly cheesesteak sandwich )

On the package this is what is written

"beef round tip steak cap off thin"

any help would be much appreciated.

TIA!

How thin are they? I'm not familiar with cut of meat used for Philly cheese steak. I buy very thin steaks which I usually prepare by sprinkling lightly with onion and garlic salt, slathering with chopped garlic and sliced onion, lime juice, rolling up and marinating all day, then grilling the onions and cooking steak very quickly, squeezing more lime over. Because that's a heck of a recipe to follow, I'm going to give you two recipes out of a book.

BISTEC DE PALOMILLA
    Cuban Fried Steak

In Cuban kitchesn, this is the most popular way to prepare steak. The meat is pounded then, marinated, and fried. The onion and parsley used to top the steak should be chopped by hand to achieve the proper crunchiness.

6 top round steaks, 4 to 6 ounces each
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    Juice of 2 limes
    Salta nd freshly ground black pepper to taste
    3 to 4 tablespoons pure Spanish olive oil or salted butter (adjust as desired)
    1 medium-size onion, finely chopped by hand
    3 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped by hand

1. Pound the steaks on both sides, using a mallet, until 1/4 inch thin. (Gail note: Palomilla is a cut of meat. I don't get decent meats from local Mexican butchers so I use something called a milanesa, which is very thin. I have some in the freezer now and I see it's from the sirloin.) Season with garlic, lime juice, salt and pepper, alnd allow to marinate at least 1 hour, refrigerated. (Gail note again: In my experience, one hour does zip to marinate this sort of thing. Do it in the am and cook it that night.)
    2. Remove the steaks from the marinade and pat dry. In a large frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat until very hot, and brown each steak for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
    3. Transfer the steaks to a serving platter and keep warm. Add the marinade and onion to the pan and cook until the onion is slightly wilted, 3 to 4 minutes. Garnish the steaks with the onion and parsley and serve immediately.

Makes 6 servings

Another option-- which I'm including in case your steak is thicker than milanesa-- would be:

BISTEC EN CAZUELA
    Casseroled Steak

In this simple, delicious dish, the meat simmers until it is fork tender, absorbing the tangy marinade. The potato is my mother's (author's mother, that is) addition.

Six 6 to 8 ounce beef steaks, palomilla (a thin cut of round, available at Hispanic markets), round, or rump, pounded with a mallet to 1/2-inch thickness
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
    1/2 cup sour (Seville) orange juice or 1/4 cupsweet orange juice mixed with 1/8 cup each fresh lime and lemon juice (Gail note: or if you have a Hispanic market around, you could also use Goya's naranja agria)
    1/4 cup vegetable or peanut oil (adjust this as needed)
    1 large onion, thinly sliced
    1 large green bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
    1 bay leaf
    1/2 cup drained and chopped canned whole tomatoes or prepared tomato sauce
    1/2 cup dry sherry
    1 cup Cuban beef stock or canned beef broth
    6 medium-size all-purpose potatoes, peeled and halved
    2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley

1. Season the steaks liberally with salt and pepper, place in a nonreactive bowl, pour the orange juice over them, cover, and refrigerate at least 1 hour. (See Gail note last recipe)
    2. Remove the steaks from the marinade and pat dry, reserving the marinade. In a large, heavy-bottomed casserole, heat the oil over medium heat until fragrant, and brown the steaks for 4 to 6 minutes on each side. Remove the steaks from the casserole and set aside.
    3. In the same casserole, over low heat, adding more oil if necessary, cook the onion, bell pepper, and garlic, stirring, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the reserved marinade, bay leaf, tomatoes, sherry, stock, steaks and potatoes, and simmer, covered, over low heat for 30 minutes or until the steaks and potatoes are fork tender. Transfer the steak, vegetables and sauce to individual shallow bowls, and sprinkle with the parsley.

Makes 6 servings

(From: Memories of a Cuban Kitchen)

...and now that I'm thinking about it, wasn't there a chicken fried steak in CL about 2 years ago?

Good luck.

PS I didn't proofread. Hope the above didn't come out too amusing by accident.

Thanks Gail!! These recipes look great! The steaks I have are 1/2 inch thickness so they will be perfect.

I don't think I can buy steaks in this area much thinner than that, so my homemade philly cheesesteaks may never happen. thanks for the tips though.