Community Message Boards

Thread: Help! Quick, need ways to use up stew meat

Help! Quick, need ways to use up stew meat

I made a pot of the Beef with wild rice and squash soup from Nov 03 Fine Cooking. I have 4.21 lbs of beef stew meat to use up. Can you
    give me some ideas for using it? I will probably throw some beef stew in the crock pot, but that will only use up at the most 2 lbs.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Lisa

Do you mean you have leftover cooked meat from the soup, or leftover raw beef? If it's the raw beef, here's my favorite goulash recipe. I usually use three parts sweet paprika to one part "half-sharp" (i.e. hot) paprika.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

* Exported from MasterCook *

Goulash

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Beef

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 med onion -- sliced
    1 clove garlic -- crushed
    1 tsp oil
    2 tsps Hungarian paprika
    2 tsps wine vinegar
    10 ozs beef chuck -- cut in 2" cubes
    salt and pepper
    1 pinch thyme
    1 tsp tomato paste
    1/2 clove garlic -- chopped
    1/3 cup beef broth
    1/2 c carrots -- cut in 2" pieces
    1/2 c celery -- cut in 2" pieces
    1/3 tsp grated lemon rind

Brown onions well until almost golden brown, adding garlic toward the end. Add paprika, then vinegar. Cook 4 minutes, add meat, and cook with onions and seasonings, turning until brown. Add salt, pepper, thyme, tomato paste, and garlic. Stir and cook until practically a glaze. Add the broth, carrots, and celery. Cover and simmer until meat is tender. Stir in grated lemon peel and serve on noodles.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 378 Calories; 25g Fat (59.2% calories from fat); 26g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 82mg Cholesterol; 346mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 3 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Fully tested.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 1032 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Sorry, yes the meat is raw, we had a frozen large package from Costco that somehow never got broken up into smaller packages before freezing, so I had to defrost the whole thing.

Phoebe,

That goulash sounds good, thanks!!
    Last edited by Lrimerman; 10-05-2003 at 06:49 PM.

Phoebe, how long about does it take until it becomes practically a glaze and also how long about do you simmer until the meat becomes tender?

I'm not quite confident enough yet to wing these things, I would need some kind of ballpark guideline. Thanks for posting the recipe, I'm thinking of making this next week, I love goulash.

Daniele
    newcook

CL's Beek Stew with Beer and Leeks (or something like that!) is great.
    Blogging about Barb horses at The Barb Wire and about the simple pleasures of less urban living at Nightlife. Saddle up and come along for the ride!

Originally posted by newcook
    Phoebe, how long about does it take until it becomes practically a glaze and also how long about do you simmer until the meat becomes tender?
    Daniele
    Well, the glaze really depends on how big your pan is and how much meat you have in it and how hot your burner is. Since I have a lot of "empty" space around my food in my skillet (and a fairly hot front burner), the glaze forms very quickly, in seconds rather than minutes. With a fuller pan, maybe a minute or so. As for the tenderness of the meat, again it depends on your pan, the heat, and the cut of meat, but I always figure at least an hour. Better too much cooking than too little. Just keep checking to make sure you still have enough liquid to keep it braising instead of charring!

I hope you enjoy this goulash. It's one of my "oh, I don't know what to cook tonight" standby dishes. Once you get the hang of it, you can work all kinds of variations on it. I sometimes throw in string beans or chunks of squash. And I like it served with noodles, but it's also good with rice, mashed potatoes, or even potato pancakes. Add a salad, and it's a full meal.

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Thanks Phoebe, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Daniele
    newcook

Here's another idea...you could easily sub stew meat for the cut up roast. This is an awesome recipe!!

Mushroom Stroganoff

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 Chuck Roast -- 3 lbs, cubed in 1"
    cubes
    1 large onion -- chopped
    4 stalks celery -- chopped
    2 TBS bottled minced garlic (or 6-8 cloves)
    3 cans Reduced Fat Cream of Mushroom Soup
    1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    4 cups No Yolk Egg Noodles -- cooked

(beckms addition: Dredge beef in flour, salt, and pepper. Brown on all sides in hot oil. Drain. )

Mix onions, celery, garlic, soups, salt and pepper together in crockpot, stir in beef cubes to coat thoroughly. Cook on low 8-9 hours or until meat is tender. Serve over cooked egg noodles.

I skip the browning step and it comes out just fine.
    Just another Susan

"Peggy, here I am tryin' to contain an outbreak, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" Hank Hill

www.thebreastcancersite.com Click here to fund free mammograms!