Community Message Boards

Thread: What to serve with risotto?

Post What to serve with risotto?

In perusing the BB I came upon the Smoked Gouda with Spinach and Mushrroms recipe. I would like to make this for company and would really appreciate some ideas to round out the menu- without meat or chicken please. Thanks in advance!

I think it really depends on whether you were planning to serve the risotto as the main dish or as a first plate. This risotto is probably flavorful and bold enough to take center stage, so I'd serve it as the the second plate, with a salad to start off; I have one I love with arugula, red and yellow tomatoes, Greek olives and red wine viegar and olive oil. Depending on the appetites of your guests, I might serve a light soup next, and then the risotto, with some crusty bread, like Natasha and Sherry suggested. Anyway, have fun!

Emily

I usually make Risotto for us for dinner with button and shitake mushrooms and it is find just as it is. When I have company, I make it and add shrimp, or just make it with mushrooms and serve it with Osso Buco. That is usually a hit with guests.

That sounds like a great recipe. I would probably serve it with Beef Tenderloin. Gouda, spinach and mushrooms are strong flavors and risotto is thick and heavy. I think beef tenderloin would stand up to it well. You could have a good crusty bread, salad, and maybe green beans or sauted carrot zucchini mixture. And, I would serve a good red wine too

Smile

I usually serve risotto with just a salad (it can be a hearty salad, though) and sometimes bread to soak up the creamy sauce (I know that makes two starches, but, oh well.). And yes, a good glass of wine goes well with just about any risotto! Hope the recipe turns out well for you.

If you wanted to have a vegetable side dish with it, how about something orange (squash, carrots, sweet potatoes, etc.) I often find thinking of mixing colors as a good way to find a nice flavor balance to a dish. Greens (like the spinach in your risotto) and orange vegetables look so beautiful together that it makes it more appetizing. I think the side dish could be very simple (like glazed carrots, or sauteed butternut squash). Besides that I'd say emily's idea of starting off with a salad sounds great!