Community Message Boards

Thread: How well does rice puree?

Question How well does rice puree?

Here's the recipe I want to make Tuesday for supper with a few modifications. Can I sub basmiti rice for the arborio and still get a pretty smooth pureed soup? I know it's long grain vs. short grain rice but Basmiti is all I have (besides brown rice) and money is so tight right now I don't want to buy something I won't use up anytime soon. I will be using a foodmill.

~e~

Cream of Tomato Soup with Pancetta

For pureeing, use a food mill with a somewhat coarse disk to strain the tomato skins and seeds while retaining the texture of the rice.

Ingredients:

4 thin slices pancetta, chopped
    2 Tbs. olive oil, plus more for brushing
    3 garlic cloves, chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    3 1/4 lb. tomatoes, quartered
    1/2 tsp. sugar
    1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
    1 Tbs. finely chopped fresh marjoram
    1/4 cup Arborio rice
    1/4 cup heavy cream
    Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
    4 baguette slices
    1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese

Directions

In a large pot over medium heat, fry the pancetta in the olive oil until crisp, about 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. Set aside.

Reduce the heat to low. Add the garlic and onion and sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, sugar, red pepper flakes and marjoram. Bring to a simmer and add the rice. To provide enough liquid for cooking the rice, add 1 to 2 cups water, depending on the juiciness of the tomatoes. Cook until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.

Place a food mill over another large pot. Transfer the soup to the food mill and puree. Reheat over low heat and stir in the cream. Season with salt and pepper.

Preheat a broiler. Brush the baguette slices with olive oil and top each with 1 Tbs. of the Gorgonzola. Broil until the cheese bubbles. Top each with some of the pancetta. Ladle the soup into warmed bowls and serve each with a Gorgonzola and pancetta-topped baguette slice. Serves 4.

Adapted from Williams-Sonoma TASTE Magazine, Garden Varieties, by Sara Deseran (Fall 2001).
    For Pete's sake, now I blog!
    http://www.ifagioli.com/

It seems to me that if you cook the rice long enough, it will be soft and easy to puree.

Sami
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

The rice will puree fine, but it won't release the creamy starch into the soup that arborio would. It should still turn out well, it would just be a little different with the arborio.

I don't have the answer, but I just wanna say -- it is nice to see you around, Emilie!!

I'm with Val! How the heck have you been, Emilie????
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

Originally posted by ErinM
    I'm with Val! How the heck have you been, Emilie????
    Yup. Nice to see you. Hope that you, DH, and Opie are well.
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

Ditto!!

Thanks gals! It feels good to come out of lurking.

As soon as I track some arborio down and if it's not too expensive I'm going to try that recipe.

I wound up making my standard cream of tomato soup last night because DH brought home a gallon and a quart of Horizon milk from work (they were free!) because their sell by date was up and they couldn't leave it out to sell. I just made a vat of soup to freeze and figured it's always good to have soup in the freezer.

~emilie~
    For Pete's sake, now I blog!
    http://www.ifagioli.com/