Community Message Boards

Thread: What's with my pomegranates?

What's with my pomegranates?

Anyone here a pomegranate expert? The new Eating Well has a section on pomegranates, and I'm making a couple of the recipes. Last night I cut open my pomegranate and the "seeds" were not ruby red at all. They were WHITE with the slightest tinge of pink. This happened to me last year too. Are these pomegranates just not ripe? Will they turn red if I leave them to ripen? Can you tell from the outside whether a pomegranate will have red seeds or not?

The photos of the lovely pomegranate seeds in the magazine are blazing ruby red, with just a touch of white at the very bottom of each seed. Mine are white with just a touch of pink at the very top. Very disappointing.

Hmmm...well, I would think that they're underripe. Have you tasted them? What did they look like on the outside? They should be dark red, heavy for their size, and smooth (not withered). They will not ripen after picking.

The ones I've bought so far have been beautiful, but a little musky/earthy. I can't remember if that's normal or not. But the juice has been good, and hopefully they'll make good pomegranate schnapps.

On a related note, have you tried PomWonderful juice yet? O.M.G.!!!! It's soooooo good, especially the plain and the pom-cherry. Expensive, tho.
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

Yep on the juice! Got a BIG bottle ($$ ) but it's soo good. And the bottle is so cute too!

The outside of the pomegranate I bought was red, but not beet red, large, one of the heaviest ones in the whole batch (I checked for that) and definitely smooth skinned.

I guess that looking for the dark red skin is key. I'll try that next and see what happens. Thanks for the input. Good luck with the Schnapps!

Grace - I just had the same thing happen. However, the whitish/pink ones still seem tasty to me.

Did you get the tip before from this BB on the best way to get the seeds out? You cut off a bit of the base, then score the outside with a knife from the center down around the fruit a few times. Plop it in a large bowl of water for about 5 minutes, then underneath the water, you break apart the scored section, invert the peel, and just flick the seeds off. The seeds sink, while the skins and pith float. Does this make sense? It works so well. You don't get stained at all. I just did this over the weekend with 6 pomegranates, and now I have a big jar of the seeds just waiting for me to finish in my fridge.

Jennifer

This won't help if you can't get decent pomegranates, but the Fall, 2003 issue of Eating Well has an article on this most interesting fruit. It includes recipes and information on selection, seeding, pomegranate juice and pomegranate molasses. The recipes are:

Pork Roast with Walnut-Pomegranate Filling
    Chicken Tagine with Pomegranates
    Pomegranate Poached Pears
    Barley and Wild Rice Pilaf with Pomegranate Seeds
    Endive & Pomegranate Salad

They all look good, so I'll be trying at least one or two. If I come up with a serious winner I'll post it.

Thanks Kay - I have that issue and it's actually what prompted me to buy the pomegranates. I wanted to try some of those recipes. I made the Barley and Wild Rice Pilaf last night (very good - a lot of texture), and the pork roast is on the menu for next week. But the photo of the pork roast in the magazine shows those beautiful ruby red seeds. Mine will look decidedly different if I don't find a pomegranate that actually has RED seeds in it!

The look soooo pretty on butternut squash soup, too, and add a nice little tang against the sweetness (or spiciness) of the soup!

I'm just curious what other methods you all use for getting the seeds out. I love the one I learned from the BB, but maybe there's another cool way?

THANKS!

Jennifer

I just made the most hilarious thing with pomegranate juice. I had 2 cups of Knudson's left over from a recipe, and 2 packs of gelatin leftover from something else. So I made pomegranate jello. It's sooooo gross! First of all, it's pretty much opaque, and it's this weird brownish red color, and what with the texture...it looks JUST LIKE liver!! I ate some and pretended that it was ok so I could get DH to try some. He was not pleased. It was quite hilarious to see the look on his face. As much as I love pom juice, this was not a good platform for it.

I thought I'd post the idea, though. I think it would be pretty good with better juice (Knudson's is what I use in a pinch, but it's not my fave by a long shot---just the most avaliable). Also, I think it would be terrific for a Halloween party because of its uncanny resemblance to liver. Yuck!
    "It covers your bread like a stinkyfishy tarp
    I know it isn't butter
    But I can't believe it's carp!"

Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge

Originally posted by jrichards
    I'm just curious what other methods you all use for getting the seeds out. I love the one I learned from the BB, but maybe there's another cool way?

THANKS!

Jennifer
    There's a website with pictures showing how to get the seeds out, if you are interested:

http://www.pomegranates.org/nomess.html