Community Message Boards

Thread: Low Carb Support - Week of 10/19

Low Carb Support - Week of 10/19

Good morning. I met Thursday with my son's dietician (see http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...threadid=40835 for the reasons why). She knows that I was doing Atkins (which she and I agree is not for children) and asked how I was doing. I told her I had lost the weight I wanted and was now maintaining. She told me that in her opinion, I should be eating at least 100 carbs a day (I assume she didn't mean net carbs)...so my goal for the next few weeks is to figure how to up my carb count WITHOUT gaining back any weight. I know I just can't add the carbs...so I need to figure what foods I'm going to substitute. Wish me luck

Tyra
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Hi Tyra. I would try to add them slowly, using the atkins ladder so you can see if any particular food causes sugar spikes or cravings.

Maybe try themin 5-10 g incriments??? How many are you eating right now???
    ~Kim~

Nashville Restaurant Examiner - check out my page
    Check out my blog: Zen Kitchen http://onehotkitchen-kim.blogspot.com/

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    Dave Barry

I haven't been tracking in about a month (I'm bad, I know ) I was averaging about 40 net carbs when I was losing weight (probably 50-60 total carbs) so I'm guessing I'm getting about 60 net carbs now a day and maintaining within a 2 pound fluctuation. I don't need to add many, I'm thinking a few more pieces of fruit a day and maybe a slice of bread, sweet potatoes, etc a day. Will have to see how it goes. I know I need to stop the M&M's...I was having one or two max and now its 12 or so (still nothing compared to before Atkins when it was the entire bag) but I know its STUPID carbs.

Originally posted by tbb113
    but I know its STUPID carbs.
    like the tortilla chips I still have to have????
    ~Kim~

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    Dave Barry

Kim and Tyra-

Sorry to butt in here, but I have a question for you. When you say "net carbs" and "total carbs"- what is the difference? I am currently researching SBD and have been following your threads. I just had to delurk here to ask this question.

I have been wondering what a reasonable amount of carbs would be during phase 2 of SBD, and this thread seems to address that. I know that its different for each person, but I am trying to see how "doable" this is for me. 50-60 g of carbs a day seems doable.

Kim

Hi:

Please butt in, that is the WHOLE idea behind this thread I'm following Atkins and he talks about net carbs which is the carbs minus the fiber. His theory is that your body doesn't absorb fiber so it shouldn't count. Same thing with sugar acohols like malitol. So, if a food has 10 grams of carbs and 3 grams of fiber it has 7 net grams.

I don't think SBD counts carbs in the 2nd phase like Atkins, but I'll let someone who has read the book answer that and correct me if I'm wrong. I can tell you that Atkins starts at 20 net carbs a day and has you add 5 grams a week until you stop losing. You then subtract 5 grams and stay at that rate. I was eating between 30 and 40 net grams and losing from 1 - 2 pounds a week. (I'm 5'3" and now right around 138, and I DON'T EXERCISE at all). I am now exercising to support my son on his Shapedown goals and because I know I should. According to Fitday, I had approx 1600 calories, 86 carbs, 32 fiber today (net would be 53 grams). Pretty close to that 100 grams...had about 20 grapes, an apple, broccoli, almonds and a salad for the majority of the carbs. Might have another piece of fruit before bed (its only 7:30 here in CA).

Hi Kim,

I have read the South Beach Diet book and am following a very loose combination of South Beach & Atkins (with a 22 pound loss since the first of July). There is no "magic number" of carbs in South Beach -- it focuses far more on "good carbs" vs. "not so good carbs" (I hate the concept of BAD food).

I am trying to incorporate healthy carbs in my diet in phase 2, while eliminating those carbs with virtually no nutritional value (mostly things with processed sugars and flours). I choose brown or wild rice rather than white. Whole wheat bread/couscous rather than white flour/semolina. Where lower carb products exist (ie: low carb pasta, the Atkins brand bars & bakery products) and those I enjoy I've incorporated into my diet. I guess I've found that I can eat moderate amounts of nutritionally dense carbohydrates without sugar spikes or cravings I experience with the more processed stuff.

I do TRACK my carbs, so I have some idea of how many grams I'm eating (and how much of that is fiber). Over the past week, I've averaged 100 - 120 grams of carbohydrate a day, 20-30 grams of that fiber. And I'm losing an average of 1.5 pounds per week. Keep in mind that this is all my experience. Everybody's different, and your mileage may vary. Good luck... and butt in now and then and let us know how it's going!

-Dolores

According to Fitday, I had approx 1600 calories, 86 carbs, 32 fiber today (net would be 53 grams). Pretty close to that 100 grams...had about 20 grapes, an apple, broccoli, almonds and a salad for the majority of the carbs. Might have another piece of fruit before bed (its only 7:30 here in CA).
    ...but according to the media....this is a NO carb diet where you arent allowed ANY carbs and it is very unhealthy.....

~Kim~

Dave Barry

Kin---LOL. So true! Did you look into protein power? I thought it was you (although now I can't remember for certain) that was thinking about starting it.

I just finished week 3 of PP. I had lost 7 pounds but then spent a weekend at my FIL's which is VERY stressful to say the least. I had my first slip up. I still ate fairly well but definitely over did it on my carbs. Looks like I gained 2 pounds which I am ok with. I am back on track now and don't plan to slip up again until I have to go there again (how sad is that? LOL).

Dolores---you have done great! Keep up the good work.

Tyra---thanks for starting these threads!

Preparing to start.....

Hi all,
    Another lurker here now joining in.....
    I've been researching SBD also, and plan to start next week (after Supper Club Sunday). I have not read the book yet, I am 2nd on the waiting list at my local library (could be a few weeks!). I have gone to the Prevention website so I have a good idea about the guidelines for the different Phases, but I do have some questions.
    I probably should just buy the book, but I did a very similar diet a couple of months ago called Fat Flush and I bought all the books for that and am not ready to buy more diet books. Is there only one book I need to read for SBD? I also want to buy The Good Carb Cookbook so I am torn.
    This SBD sounds very similar to Fat Flush, just a bit less strict in some respects (on FF in addition to no sugar/caffeine/alcohol, there was no salt, no artificial sweeteners, only certain spices, not even black pepper was allowed). SBD seems to have the same general principles as FF, but more practical. Fat Flush also had 3 phases just like SBD, and I lost 9 pounds in the first 10 days, but then my DH and I totally broke down and ordered a pizza after a long hike on the 11th day. Then we had visitors in town and it all went down-hill.

My questions are:
    Serving sizes? i.e. For my afternoon snack, how many peanuts can I have?

I will need to have my 1 cup of coffee in the morning even when I do phase 1. Is non-dairy creamer (like fat free Coffeemate) a no-no on this diet? It does have 4 carbs per serving and has all that bad stuff in it (Corn syrup, partially hyrogenated oil, etc.), but I'm hooked on it for my morning cup of coffee. Does anyone have any recommendations for alternatives to making my 1 cup of coffee per day sweet and creamy, or do you think I will eventually not want it that sweet once I start changing my diet? Since I hear that once you do Phase 1, your sweet tooth lessens, maybe I will not need the sweetness.

Sorry for rambling, this post is WAY too long!
    Thanks in advance,
    Jen

Jen:
    The idea is to limit your carbs, not necessarily to limit portion size. So however many peanuts you can eat and still keep your carb count down is how many you can eat. Atkins stresses that you SHOULD NOT be hungry on this diet, and I would think SBD is the same way. I know that a 1/4 cup (which is a large handful) of almonds has 5 grams of carbs, 4 fiber so it nets to 1 carb. Peanuts have more carbs. Check the labels of the foods you are thinking of eating.

On your coffee...have you considered using REAL cream or half/half instead of the non-dairy? The carb count is probably less, the amount of fat is not that much and both diets (Atkins more then SBD) aren't to worried about fat content...

Tyra

- I have found that the diet is self limiting in calories. Its hard to overeat on protien because it fills you up and stays with you longer than carbs. I was averaging 1300-1500 calories a day without thinking about what I was eating. When I did WW, I was CONSTANTLY thinking about what I could eat, how much could I have, etc. Atkins doesn't make me do that (other than with fruit).

Hi Jen,

I have the book (and I'm on day 2). I'm not a coffee drinker, but Dr. Agatston says you can have coffee with low-fat milk and artificial sweetener. That's probably in Phase 2, though, since no milk is allowed in the first phase. I'll bet you won't need it in your coffee after the first two weeks. Those two weeks will be where the struggle lies.

As far as peanuts - you can have 20 in Phase I.

Good luck!

Jen:
    The idea is to limit your carbs, not necessarily to limit portion size. So however many peanuts you can eat and still keep your carb count down is how many you can eat. Atkins stresses that you SHOULD NOT be hungry on this diet, and I would think SBD is the same way.
    South Beach is a little different, especially when it comes to higher fat foods, such as nuts. As a snack, I believe Dr. A. recommends 20-30 peanuts... which really WILL keep you going through the mid afternoon far more efficiently than a snickers bar.

South Beach doesn't "stress" about fat the way that a lot of other programs do, but it does encourage low saturated/hydrogenated fats and moderate monounsaturated and omega 3 fats, for what that's worth.

As for your coffee, you may want to try the REAL cream approach -- I find that I use far less of it and don't really need sweetener that way.

And FWIW, I watch (but don't stress about) calories and portion sizes -- and I'm not hungry on the SB plan. The challenge for me remains acknowledging when I'm no longer hungry and stopping at that point, rather than continuing to eat because it tastes good. That's FAR easier to do (for me) with a lower-carb approach (because my blood sugar remains on a more even keel.)

Good luck!

Thanks

Thanks for your tips, they answered my questions.
    I am really excited about starting this.
    Believe it or not, I got interested in this diet on a plane trip back from Ohio last week....a middle-aged man sitting next to me was so excited about his weight loss he told me all about it. He sparked my interest. And I understand the philosophy after trying Fat Flush.

Going back to kwormann's post about tortilla chips, has anyone tried Trader Joe's "lower carb" products? I just tried the Flaxseed Tortilla chips.....*I think* they have 33% fewer carbs than regular tortilla chips, plus the goodness of flaxseeds. I love their taste. Today I just noticed they now have lower carb nacho chips, too. Anyways, just an FYI for those of you already on your maintenance phase.

-Jen

Re: Thanks

Originally posted by jennkristy
    Going back to kwormann's post about tortilla chips, has anyone tried Trader Joe's "lower carb" products? I just tried the Flaxseed Tortilla chips.....*I think* they have 33% fewer carbs than regular tortilla chips, plus the goodness of flaxseeds. I love their taste. Today I just noticed they now have lower carb nacho chips, too. Anyways, just an FYI for those of you already on your maintenance phase.

-Jen
    I haven't tried those (I haven't seen them to be honest), but I do buy the low-carb tortillas at Safeway and I have bought the low-carb pasta at Trader Joes. The pasta is very good (its soy based and penne shaped) and has 10 net carbs per serving. My older son can't tell the difference between it and REAL pasta.

Originally posted by kwormann

...but according to the media....this is a NO carb diet where you arent allowed ANY carbs and it is very unhealthy.....

I was listening to somebody being interviewed the other day on the radio. His comment was since he has been following Atkins type of diet, he is eating MORE vegetables then before Let the media scare people off, WE know better

Re: Thanks

Originally posted by jennkristy

-Jen
    WHHHAAAAAA, we need a Trader Joes!!!

Heather, I am more closely following PP than any other, altho I have to confess, right now I am mixing about 5% of "anything I want to eat" with 95% low carb and am maintaining. I still want to lose 20 lbs, but I think I will keep this way of eating until after the holidays then start back strictly and lose the last 20 (Ive lost 23 already)
    ~Kim~

Dave Barry

Kim:

I could make you a care package from TJs and send it to you if you want.

I think the idea of maintaining through the holidays a good one. It also gives your body time to adjust to this weight and maybe let you lose more again more easily.

Tyra

PS - are you feeling better?

Checking back....thanks for your input everyone. I'm going to finish the SBD book and start next week. Maybe I'll join in your board too. I just love the support everyone here gives.

Thanks again.

Kim

Kim:

I could make you a care package from TJs and send it to you if you want.

I think the idea of maintaining through the holidays a good one. It also gives your body time to adjust to this weight and maybe let you lose more again more easily.

Tyra

PS - are you feeling better?
    Thanks Tyra

I hhave already had an offer for Trader Joes (Thanks jennkristy). SHe is going to send some flax chips and if I like them, Ill have my mom bring a BUNCH when she DRIVES here for Christmas

As for feeling better, the achiness is gone, but cold symptoms have replaced it I had a spicy chicken chili for dinner tonite...spice for the sinuses, soup for the cold
    ~Kim~

Dave Barry

Well, after some thought, I bought the SBD book today. After perusing through it and seeing all the useful recipes, it was worth 15 dollars. I'll start reading it tonight. I'm starting day 1 phase 1 next Monday.
    Note to self: buy Pumpkin frozen custard this week and enjoy before Monday as it is not available after November

tbb113: I have not seen the low carb pasta at TJ's yet! I'll keep my eyes open.

kwormann: hope you feel better soon.

Jen,
    I didn't give up my morning coffee either. I would just use sugar free syrups and drink it w/o milk or cream. I am in SBD phase 2 and I still use the sugar free syrups and a little splash of 1% milk.
    Good luck starting your low carb diet, this board is great.

We don't have a Trader Joes here, but maybe it is good that we don't...I used to live on chips and salsa! Don't know if I could control myself! LOL
    Cindy

I've had the low-carb pasta from TJ's and was very pleased with it. I've found a brand of low-carb pasta at a local store as well, but I haven't opened it yet. I hope it's as good as the brand TJ's had.

I also bought some low-carb cinnamon bread by O'So Low (something like that). I loved them!! I brought 2 boxes home with me. Unfortunately, I've checked every store their website says would have them in SC and NONE of them still carry that brand. Oh well. So much for a potential addiction. Maybe that's a good thing.

I accept the fact that TJ's will never have a store here...but I'd be more than happy for them to put one in Charlotte or Atlanta!!

Another vote for one in Atlanta!

Is turkey bacon allowed in phase 1 of SBD? Dr. A mentions Canadien Bacon alot in the book, but I do not eat that. I have not read the whole book yet, so maybe I have missed something.
    I'm getting my kitchen stocked with SBD phase 1-friendly foods for my start on Monday.
    Last night I bought:
    -cottage cheese
    -Laughing cow mini-cheese wedges
    -lean ground turkey
    -boneless/skinless chicken breast
    -tilapia fillets
    -peanuts
    -celery
    -salad

I still need to hit the farmers market tomorrow to get more veggies.
    If anyone has any recommendations for what to eat on phase one, please chime in!

Did any of you on SBD eat black beans on phase 1?

Thanks