Community Message Boards

Thread: What size is your crockpot?

What size is your crockpot?

Hi, everybody! I've been happily copying recipes from the "Healthy crockpot dishes" thread because I'm finding it harder and harder to get dinner on the table at a reasonable time (working late; visiting sick mom, etc). My crockpot's probably around 20 years old, and it's small (I'd never be able to make the crockpot turkey breast). I happened to notice that Target's having a sale this week on 2 Rival crockpots; one's 6 or 6.5 quarts; the other's 7 quarts; both are $29.99, I think. What size do you'all recommend? Do yo prefer programmable versus non-programmable? Rival or another brand? Inquiring minds want to know . . . Thanks!

I have three, one's a teeny little 2 1/2 quart that's just right for a small meal for two, a 3 1/2 that's ancient and served our family of five for years, and a new 6 quart that I make marinara sauce in or soups. My middle sized one doesn't have a removable crock so I rarely use that one now. It depends on how much you want to make in it and how many are in your family. When I worked, I just put a lamp timer on mine when I came across a recipe that took less time, but for the majority of the time, a regular old crock pot or slow cooker works fine.

Barbara, I am now the proud owner of 2 Rival crockpots. My original pot is the 4-quart, which I have used for soups, stews and cooking chicken pieces. I just bought the Rival 6-quart, oval shape, on sale at Target, and I think it will be good for whole chickens and turkey breasts. The new 6-qt also has a warm setting so I can keep food warm in it after it's cooked. Neither of mine are programmable. I either turn it on when I need to (I don't work on Tues. and Thurs.) or put everything in it when I get home from work (around 1 pm) and turn it on high and dinner's ready on time. I'm pretty sure the crock pots work best when they are at least half full, so that might help you determine which size is best for you.

Mine's a 5 qt oval Rival. I wanted the oval for chickens or large cuts of meat, and it's been fine.

Mine's a five quart Rival, which is really too big for a bachelor on his own.
    --Anthony Ragan
    irishspy@ gmail .com
    "Fear? I fear nothing. I'm terrified of everything."
    Harry T. Cat, in memoriam, 1983-2001

I'm very interested to read what size everyone has because I want to buy another one.

I have a new 6-quart size. I bought it because I thought my other crockpot was broken - it always cooked everything in 2 hours, even on low. Now I find that my bigger one does the same thing.

Now I think that the problem may be that the crockpot is too big, and therefore cooks things too fast. But my old one was a 4-quart, so I'm wondering how much smaller I'd have to go to actually be able to cook something for 7-8 hours and not have it be way overdone.

Any suggestions? I hope I'm not butting in on your thread, but I thought this question could also perhaps help you decide what size to get.

Alysha

I have a 4-quart and 6-quart. They both cook quicker than any recipe, but I bought the 4-quart because the six quart either made enough for a couple of armies or cooked the food in 2-3 hours. While the 4-quart still cooks quicker than I would like, it is at least managable with a light timer and keeps me from having to double most crockpot recipes to manage the cooking time. My 6-quart has the "switch to warm" option, but I have found that the food still gets overcooked. I use the 4-quart more often unless I am making a big roast or the like.

I have a 6 quart Rival programmable. I got it last spring as a replacement for a very old, smaller model. I love my new one!

Peggy

I have several crockpots, but I use the 6qt. Rival Smart Pot all the time. I never have a problem with the pot cooking too fast. I use it for soup, stew, chicken on the bone, and the occasional pot roast.

Vicky

I remember one time reading something about crockpots (it may have been a section of a cookbook) -- someone had tested different brands of crockpots, and the temperatures varied widely. The one I had always seemed to take longer than the recipe said; and this article (or whatever) stated that, in that brand, the temperatures ran low. The "high" setting produced a temperature that corresponded to "low" in the cookbooks. Other brands ran hotter. Maybe that's what's happening with yours, Gracey?

Originally posted by BarbaraL
    The "high" setting produced a temperature that corresponded to "low" in the cookbooks. Other brands ran hotter. Maybe that's what's happening with yours, Gracey?
    I have only used the high setting once because I am convinced it would cook at warp speed. Maybe I will try and see if I have some crazy factory defect. The 6-quart is a Rival one and it cooks quickly, regardless of how full it is. This is great if you are cooking a roast or another large piece of meat (which would never fit in the 4-quart), but it takes soups and stews to a new level of mush.

I have a 3 1/2 quart, which is perfect for the 2 of us.
    Blogging Fun
    Don't eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food. -Michael Pollan