Community Message Boards

Thread: Need side dish for lobster tail

Need side dish for lobster tail

I'm serving CL's roasted lobster tails with ginger dipping sauce and need suggestions for a side dish. I'm serving an baked portobello appetizer course and then a salad course, but don't know what to put on the plate with the lobster.... Any suggestions??

Hmm. That's a tough one. Are you looking for a green side dish? Or a starchy side?

Off the top of my head, how about wasabi mashed potatoes, broccoli with garlic sauce (although that may be too strongly flavored), or just a simple sauteed or roasted green bean (I love to roast the super-skinny haricot verts my grocery sometimes carries).

Do you want to stick with the Asian theme, or do something a little more conventional?
    We figured there was too much happiness here for just the two of us, so we figured the next logical step was to have us a critter.

- H.I. McDunnough, "Raising Arizona"
    --------------------------------------------------
    Ask me about Kelly's Kids children's clothes!

i am not a lobster fan but assuming the ginger dipping sauce has a bit of an asian flare to it, this thread seemed appropriate
    http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...threadid=40680

i don't remember the dipping sauce recipe but you could always make extra and toss it with asian noodles and veggies...

Mmm. I love wasabi mashed potatoes, and I think they would definitely go well. Do you have a good recipe?

Your menu will most certainly knock their socks off!

Editing: Argh. Stupid gremlins. I promise, I didn't read your mind, Rottlover.
    We figured there was too much happiness here for just the two of us, so we figured the next logical step was to have us a critter.

The wasabi mashed potatoes might be just the thing...thanks for the idea. I'm entertaining and want to impress so not too worried about sticking with the Asian theme...just want something to knock their socks off.

This is the Wolfgang Puck recipe for wasabi mashed potatoes - haven't tried it, but sure sounds good....

Serves 4

1 pound russet potatoes, peeled
    Salted water
    4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
    1/4 cup heavy cream, heated
    1 tablespoon roasted garlic puree (See separate recipe for Whole Roasted Garlic)
    1/2 pound spinach, stems removed
    1 teaspoon wasabi mustard powder
    Wasabi oil, to taste
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Cut the potatoes into large pieces of equal size. Cover with salted water. Bring to a boil and cook until tender. Drain thoroughly. Pass through a food mill and whip in the butter, hot cream and roasted garlic puree.

2. Blanch the spinach in boiling salted water for 10 seconds. Refresh in ice water. Drain thoroughly. Transfer to a blender and add wasabi powder and wasabi oil. Process to a puree. Stir into warm mashed potato. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Wow. That sounds amazing. Interesting with the spinach puree - I'll bet it's a pretty color.

The Wasabi Mashed Potatoes I have made a couple of times are very easy and very good, from CL last year. I doubled the wasabi, which didn't make it too hot at all:

Wasabi mashed potatoes

Place 2 pounds cubed red potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil, cook 15 minutes or until tender. Drain. Place potato, 1/4 cup fat free, less sodium chicken broth, 1/4 cup reduced fat sour cream, 2 tablespoons butter, 1 teaspoon wasabi paste, 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper in a bowl. Mash.