Community Message Boards

Thread: Can I make a birdhouse gourd out of a butternut squash?

Can I make a birdhouse gourd out of a butternut squash?

pardon my ignorance, but i have a butternut squash here and my mom wants me to dry it and make it into a birdhouse with her. i told her that you can only do that with gourds, and she said it is the same thing.

well?

I have no idea, but this is my favorite thread title in ages!
    (...but I'd never heard of a birdhouse gourd)

The simple answer........no. I suppose anything is possible but you are thinking of gourds. That is what you dry to make birdhouses. Butternut is a winter squash. Over time butternut will get fairly hard on the outside but it would most likely rot first. Your best bet is to eat it .
    "When you are in love with someone you want to be near him all the time, except when you are out buying things and charging them to him." Miss Piggy

It would be like trying to make one out of a pumpkin--you know what jack-o-lanterns look like in a week or two. You could probably find a real gourd for your birdhouse at a farmers market, though. A project with Mom sounds like fun...wish I could do that.

Shar

Originally posted by sharris315
    A project with Mom sounds like fun...wish I could do that.

Shar
    It sure does.........cherish your time together.
    "When you are in love with someone you want to be near him all the time, except when you are out buying things and charging them to him." Miss Piggy