Community Message Boards

Thread: How does this sound?

How does this sound?

I'm trying to come up with one final recipe for a marathon cooking day Sunday. I'm getting together with 2 friends to cook stuff that will freeze and reheat well.

I want to take the dough recipe from the corn and poblano empanadas from a couple of months ago. For a filling, I want to use grilled marinated flank steak (what I would use for fajitas), carmelized onions sauteed with peppers, garlic, spices, corn, and mexican cheese. I would probably make them bigger than that recipe, so one of these can serve as a meal, or at least the main part of a meal. I know the original recipe freezes well, so I think these would as well.

This should work fine, shouldn't it?

We are making a total of 9 recipes. Woohoo!!!
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

Sounds good to me, but maybe you should let me taste test to make sure. I like your cooking marathon idea and wish I had someone to do that with, but I might have to buy a new freezer too. I cooked like that more when I was working and it really helped. As the boys get older and active in more things, I think I'm going to have to do some more of that cooking ahead even if it is just me.

I meant to say that I would probably make them smaller than meal size, but larger than appetizers -- maybe 2 or 3 to a serving. They would be easier to reheat, to eat and just appeals to me that way.

jjsooner73-my marathon cooking day was last Sat. I like cooking this way...makes it easier to control what DH & I eat (instead of going out so much).

I've eaten empanadas but have never made empanadas, now I'm curious. Two questions: How hard are these? If you have time, could you please post the recipe?

TIA
    Jean

Originally posted by Beth
    I meant to say that I would probably make them smaller than meal size, but larger than appetizers -- maybe 2 or 3 to a serving. They would be easier to reheat, to eat and just appeals to me that way.
    That's probably a good idea. Too big, and they may also be hard to keep together.

Two of us are single and live alone, and the other's husband is in Iraq so she alone right now, so hopefully by doing this we'll all be able to eat better and have good food. SInce I've signed up with Team in Training, I am NEVER home to cook, and find myself grabbing take out, or eating junk. I hope this helps to end that trend.
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

--Emerson

I couldn't find the recipe already posted on the board, but here is a link discussing it. I don't have it here with me, but will type it in this weekend.

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...corn+empanadas

I didn't think it was to hard or labor intensive. I made the dough one day and the empanadas the next, so it helped to break it up a bit. And they're really yummy!!
    Jennifer

--Abraham Lincoln

--Emerson

Great make ahead idea!

Do you freeze them uncooked? Or do you bake them first?
    Avril

There's always a reason to bake.

Re: Great make ahead idea!

Originally posted by AvrilH
    Do you freeze them uncooked? Or do you bake them first?
    The ones in CL I froze uncooked, which is what I'll do with these. All the filling is precooked though. Hopefully, my 'experiment' will turn out OK and I'll be able to post a good review on Monday.
    Jennifer

--Abraham Lincoln

--Emerson