Community Message Boards

Thread: What changes to bake a layer cake in a 9x13 pan?

Question What changes to bake a layer cake in a 9x13 pan?

If a recipe calls for 9" round pans to make a layer cake, can it be made w/o changes into a 9x13 rectanglar sheet cake ? If so, would batter for 2 layers or 3 layers be the right amount using the 9x13? Thanks.

Shar

If the cake calls for 2 9" round cake pans, then the batter you make to fill those pans should easily fit into 1 9x13 pan. No changes would be needed. If I use a cake mix, I usually don't like to grease and flour 2 pans, so I just use the 9x13 pan. If you have a cake mix, check the back of the box -- it usually tells you what different pans or muffin tins you can use.

If the 9" round cake pans are 2" deep then it holds 8 cups. Round cake pans that are 9" by 1 1/2" hold 6 cups. A 13x9x2 rectangular pan holds 15 cups.

Important Tips To Remember:

To substitute with glass pan, reduce the baking temperature by 25 degrees.

To substitute a pan that is shallower than the pan in the recipe, reduce the baking time by one-fourth.

To substitute a pan that is deeper than the pan in the recipe, increase the baking time by one-fourth.

According to these tips if your pans are the same depth then you shouldn't need to adjust the baking time.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

The recipe I want to change is a 3-layer, so I'll make a 9x13 and one round 9"--or maybe a few cupcakes. Thanks.

Shar