Community Message Boards

Thread: Need suggestions for removing odors from plastic

Need suggestions for removing odors from plastic

I have a almost new plastic click-clack container that I stored cinnamon in. these are hard clear plastic containers with the clamp down lids from KA. I've tried dish detergent & soaking with baking soda solution, but can't get rid of the cinnamon odor. It's in the lid and the container itself. It turned out to be too big for cinnamon so I wanted to use it for something else. Any other ideas on deodorizing a food container? It's not DW safe.

These are some tricks I learned when I sold Tupperware:

Wad up some newspaper and stuff into the container. Put the lid on for about 3 days. Or,

Put a couple of charcoal briquets in it, add lid. Wait about 3 days.

Hope one of these help!
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

Ok, try this (in book Talking Dirty with the Queen of Clean):
    fill with warm water and add a little dry mustard-1/4 tsp is plenty for an average size container. Let soak for an hour or so, then wash.Please let us know how this works. I have tried several other tips from this book and enjoyed them! Good luck.

I will try all your suggestions probably starting with the mustard & then newspaper. don't have any charcoal & this is a small container. Right now I've got it coated with baking soda paste. It's a hard clear plastic like lexan. Thanks for your input & I'll check back in with my results.

I've had success with boiling the item in a baking soda solution (or at least dipping it into the boiling water).
    Just another Susan

"Peggy, here I am tryin' to contain an outbreak, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" Hank Hill

www.thebreastcancersite.com Click here to fund free mammograms!

Gail the Goddess had this problem awhile back. Here's an old thread that may be of some help.

http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...ight=chipotles
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

I usually put a bit of dishwashing detergent and bit of bleach in, fill to top with water, leave it overnight and turn it part way through. I have read somewhere that you shouldn't combine bleach and some stuff but have not had a problem with this combo.

Sheila in MD

if the baking soda doesn't work, try a few drops of vanilla and some water and let it sit for a day.
    Curleytop

Cool

As long as Wendy referenced that old thread, I wanted to report back that I bought the Cascade stuff and found it useless. I'd stick with one of the methods mentioned here or on the other thread.

Signed,

Gail The Goddess
    She-Who-Breeds-Things-in-the-Fridge-and-Stinks-Up-Tupperware

Valerie, just wondering what you ended up using and did it work?

I would love to have plastic that smells like cinnamon! I recently had a plastic spatula fall on the heating element of the dishwasher, resulting in a 'burned plastic smell' on the plastic that was inside the machine, and the racks of the machine. Its a 1 year old machine so I can't toss it out. Anyone ever dealt with this?

SSM
    Now Robin's Mom too...10/21/02

Originally posted by hollysmom
    I would love to have plastic that smells like cinnamon! I recently had a plastic spatula fall on the heating element of the dishwasher, resulting in a 'burned plastic smell' on the plastic that was inside the machine, and the racks of the machine. Its a 1 year old machine so I can't toss it out. Anyone ever dealt with this?

SSM
    Can you peel off the plastic? I set a hot skillet in the sink on a plastic mat. I was able to peel the plastic off the skillet once the plastic was cool and hard. I can't help about the smell though.
    Leisa

Between picking it off and an SOS pad, I think I have removed the plastic from the coil, but we have not used the heat setting since, and the smell remains. Maybe I'll fill the dishwasher with charcoal and newspaper!

SSM
    Now Robin's Mom too...10/21/02

reporting back on my odor removal project. I tried 2 applications of baking soda paste, 2 detergent scrubs and soakings plus bleach, the dry mustard in water and the crumpled newspaper. It is about 3 days now & it still smells like cinnamon although maybe ( ??) not quite as strong.

the lesson is that cinnamon needs to be in glass or a dedicated container that you will always store cinnamon in. I'm not going to try the vanilla cause that might add to the fragrance. I may let the container air for a while & then store something that is compatible with cinnamon.

At least it's not a burned plastic smell! that is a BIG problem. I guess I would try baking soda first after you are sure there is no plastic left on the heating coil.
    We had to remove bleach smell from the walls of our camper & used Fabreez. It worked!. I don't have a container to check the kind of surfaces it can be used on, but maybe you could spray the in side with fabreez or something similar & then run a couple cycles empty with only detergent? or detergent plus baking soda?

Valerie, since it doesn't sound like you're going to reuse the container right away....put the newspaper in it and let it sit that way for about 3 to 5 days. It does take a few to suck out the odor.

Maybe spray it with Febreze??
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

a jug of fabreze would cost as much as the container cost!. I was not sure I'd spray it on something food would be stored in. I'm not sure how deodorizers work. I know they can be sprayed on fabrics etc but I don't know about on food storage containers.

Ive got newspaper in it now & won't be using it for at least a few days.