Community Message Boards

Thread: fresh nutmeg vs dried

fresh nutmeg vs dried

What is equivilent of fresh nutmeg to dry ie if the recipe calls for 1/8 tsp fresh nutmeg, how much dry would I use

thanks

Laurie

With nutmeg I always use the same amount of dried or fresh. I'm not sure if most people do though.
    Tess

Are you talking freshly grated vs what you get at the supermarket in a jar? The freshly grated nutmegs are still dried. 1:1
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

thats it freshly grated
    Laurie

Then it's still a 1:1 ratio.
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

thanks, I get nervous guessing, since you usually use less of spices if they are dried,

Laurie

Not to run this into the ground, but you're thinking of herbs: Generally 1/3 the amount of fresh herbs (e.g., one tsp dried oregano for one tablespoon fresh). Spices are already dried, it's just a question of whether you choose to buy them ground or to grind them yourself.

Canice, thanks for the clarification, I automatically think of dried basic, rosemary etc as spices

Laurie