I'm on the hunt for a side dish for a friend-- she wants to make a sweet potato side that doesn't have added sugar or marshmallows, as she's limiting her sugar intake. Got any tried and true savory recipes?
I sent her Maureen's scalloped potatoes (which are still in my to try pile ), and will also mention just roasting chunks of taters. Mmmm.
* Exported from MasterCook Mac *
Recipe By : Healing Kitchen staff, Kima BB
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Potatoes
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 garlic clove -- peeled and halved
1 1/2 pounds Idaho potatoes -- peeled, thinly slice
1 pound sweet potatoes -- peeled, thinly slice
2 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup minced onion
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Rub a 9" x 13" glass or ceramic baking dish with the garlic and discard garlic. In large pot of boiling salted water, cook white and sweet potatoes 5 minutes; drain.
2. In medium saucepan, whisk milk into flour until smooth. Stir in salt and pepper. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly, for 4 minutes or until sauce is lightly thickened and no floury taste remains.
3. Arrange an overlapping layer of white and sweet potatoes in baking dish. Scatter 2 tablespoons of onions and 2 tablespoons of Parmesan on top. Arrange another layer of potatoes over onions. Scatter 2 tablespoons of Parmesan and remaining 2 tablespoons onions on top. Make a final layer of potatoes and pour sauce over the top. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan evenly over the top.
4. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until potatoes are tender and sauce is piping hot.
Makes 6 servings
Per serving: 264 calories, 6.1g total fat, 3.8g saturated fat, 1.7g monounsaturated fat, 0.3g polyunsaturated fat, 3.5g dietary fiber, 10g protein, 43g carbohydrate, 20mg cholesterol, 612mg sodium
Good source of: beta-carotene, vitamin B6, calcium.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per serving: 270 Calories; 6g Fat (21% calories from fat); 11g Protein; 44g Carbohydrate; 20mg Cholesterol; 488mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 2 1/2 Starch/Bread; 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat
NOTES : Rich and creamy without the cream, by the Healing Kitchen staff