Community Message Boards

Thread: Good ideas to use up apple juice?

Good ideas to use up apple juice?

So I made the Cranberry Raisin Macademia loaf (with walnuts, actually), and I have a LOT of leftover apple juice. I won't drink it - and I live alone, so no one else will drink it (fussy cats!). So - any recipes that call for apple juice? Or, alternatively, I know that apple juice can be a substitute for recipes that call for white wine - any tried and true for this kind of substitute? I don't drink wine either, so it would be nice to find a good recipe that works with this substitute.

Suggestions?

Susan

I don't generally have apple juice around, but I would imagine that you could deglaze any pan with it. How about searing a pork chop, popping it in the oven to finish cooking, sauteing some onions in the same pan, then deglazing with apple juice? Sounds good to me.

Also, the Alton Brown Freerange Fruitcake calls for apple juice.

I have one recipe that I love that calls for a small amount of apple juice, and yet I always end up buying the HUGE bottle of it, because I can't stand how much more expensive the tiny bottles are. So I freeze the balance in an ice cube tray, pop the cubes into a ziplock and then defrost as I need. I believe 3-4 cubes is sufficient for my recipe, which is below.

CHICKEN “SPARERIBS”

1 to 2 Tbsp. olive oil
    8-10 skinned chicken thighs
    1/2 cup water
    1/3 cup soy sauce
    1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    1/4 cup apple juice
    1/4 cup ketchup
    1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
    1 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper or a few drops Tabasco
    1/4 tsp. ground ginger
    1 Tbsp. cornstarch (I needed more than this)
    1 Tbsp. water

Heat olive oil in a heavy skillet. Add the chicken thighs and brown lightly on all sides--6 to 7 minutes--turning frequently. Toward the end, add the garlic—just be sure not to let it burn. In a large bowl, combine the ½ cup water, soy sauce, light brown sugar, apple juice, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, red pepper and ginger. Add to chicken. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes, turning at least once. In a small bowl, blend the cornstarch with the 1 Tbsp. water. Use this mixture to thicken the sauce. For a main dish, serve over rice or noodles.

This is also good with pork tenderloin, cut into 1 ½” thick slices, substituted for the chicken.

You could also freeze it and use as needed.

If you drink smoothies you could use some of that for the sweetener part too.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Well, we can drink a gallon of apple juice between the two of us in one sitting, but clearly that's not the answer you're looking for...

Herre's a really yummy recipe I made the other night. It was even better the next day. I used mirin, but it was a bit alcohol-y, so I was wishing I had juice on hand to make it. It's really good over plain pasta, and even better over pasta with chopped greens (I had broccoli rabe). It's a nice, rich variation on pesto, and according to the cookbook, it keeps a "long time" covered in the fridge.

I added more garlic.

Miso-Walnut Sauce
    from The Enchanted Broccoli Forest

2 cups mirin or apple juice
    4 T miso
    2 cups chopped, toasted walnuts
    1 T cider vinegar or rice vinegar (increase slightly if using mirin)
    2 small garlic cloves, minced
    salt to taste
    cayenne pepper to taste

Place mirin or apple juice in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. If using mrin, let it simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes to let the alcohol partially evaporate. Remove from heat, add the miso, and whisk until it is mostly dissolved. It doesn't have to be absolutely uniform. Transfer to a blender or food processor.

Add the toasted walnuts, and puree until fairly smooth. Transfer to a medium-sized bowl.

Stir in the vinegar and garlic. Add salt and cayenne to taste.

Serve warm or at room temperature over hot, freshly steamed vegetables and/or cooked grains and/or noodles.
    -Rebecca

Endurance comes from exhaustion. Keep running!
    --DH, aka "Coach"

I have a big bottle of apple juice leftover from a recipe also. I've been using it on roasted acorn squash. I just roast the squash and then put a little brown sugar, salt, pepper and some apple juice in each half and mix it all up. It tastes great and I don't even have to use butter or any fat in the squash.

These are the best rolls! They're DH's absolute favorite. I often substitute apple juice for the apple cider. Hope you enjoy!

Apple Cider Cinnamon Cloverleaf Rolls
    (Makes 36 Rolls)

This is a bread that I think about in the fall when the cider presses are turning out fresh, robust tasting cider and the air is crisp and cool. Though they are a bit more trouble to make because the rolls consist of three balls placed together in a muffin pan, I love the shape of cloverleaf rolls. The rolls can be shaped into a basic round roll if you prefer.

2 scant tablespoons or 2 (¼-ounce) packages active dry yeast
    ½ cup warm water (about 110 degrees)
    2 cups warm apple cider (about 110 degrees)
    ½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
    2 teaspoons salt
    2 cups tart apples, finely chopped, pared, and cored
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    6½ to 7½ cups unbleached flour
    Glaze: 1 large egg beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water

1. In a large bowl, stir yeast into water to soften. Add cider, sugar, salt, apples, cinnamon, and 3 cups flour. Beat vigorously for two minutes.

2. Gradually add flour, ¼ cup at a time, until the dough begins to pull away from the side of the bowl.

3. Turn dough out onto a floured work surface. Knead, adding flour a little at a time, until you have a smooth, elastic dough.

4. Put dough into an oiled bowl. Turn to coat the entire ball of dough with oil. Cover with a tightly woven towel and let rise until doubled, about one hour.

5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly oiled work surface and divide into 108 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. Place three balls together to form a triangle. Pinch the balls together from the bottom. Pick them up, turn them over and circle them with your thumb and index finger squeezing them together slightly so they will easily fit into a well-greased muffin pan. Cover with a towel and let rise until almost doubled, about 45 minutes.

6. About 10 minutes before baking, preheat oven to 400 degrees.

7. Just before baking, brush the tops of the rolls with the glaze.

8. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the loaf reaches 190 degrees.

9. Immediately remove bread from pans and cool on a rack.

www.breadworksinc.com
    BETSY'S RECIPE OF THE MONTH (October 2002)

Oh, one more thing....I always just make the dough in the bread machine and then take it out and shape it into regular round rolls. I don't do the "shaping into three balls to form a triangle" thing. It's much easier this way and they still look good and taste delicious!

Vermont Chicken (from Reader's Digest)NOT LIGHT!

6 TBL butter or margarine
    1/2 cup maple syrup
    1 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp ground cloves
    1/4 tsp dry mustard
    1 tsp black pepper
    1 chicken (2 1/2-3 lbs) cut into serving pieces
    3/4 cup cornmeal
    1/2 cup apple cider

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put butter, maple syrup, salt, cloves, mustard and pepper into 13"x9"x2" baking dish. Place the dish in the oven until the butter melts.

2. Remove the dish from the oven., stir the mixture in the dish, then coat the chicken with the mixture. Put the cornmeal on a plate and roll the chicken in the meal to coat the pieces thoroughly. Shake off excess cornmeal.

3. Arrange the chicken, skin side up, in the baking dish. Pour the apple juice around the chicken, but not over it. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, basting occasionally with the pan juices. Add more apple juice if the liquid evaporates.

Serves 4 calories 570-630

I use skinless chicken breast and apple cider and it comes out with a great coating. You can use fake syrup if you have to.
    Tess

Here's another recipe that uses apple juice (well, apple cider, but you can sub apple juice). It's awesome and very Fallish! In fact, I love to make those rolls I posted above to go with this meal. I've made this for company and have gotten rave reviews every time! It's soooo good!!

Pork with Potatoes, Apples, and Sour Cream-Cider Sauce

Recipe By :Cooking Light Complete Cookbook
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Low-Fat Pork

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    9 small red potatoes, cut in half (about 1 1/4
    pounds)
    cooking spray
    1 (1 1/2-pound) pork tenderloin
    1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
    1 large onion, cut in 12 wedges
    2 apples, cut into 1-inch cubes
    2 cups apple cider
    1 cup fat-free, less sodium chicken broth
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup low-fat sour cream

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Place potatoes on a 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pa coated with cooking spray; bake at 400 for 15 minutes.

Trim fat from pork. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large, ovenproof Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add pork; cook 8 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove pork from pan.

Add 2 teaspoons oil to pan. Add onions; saute over medium heat 5 minutes. Add pork and potatoes to pan; insert meat thermometer into thickest portion of pork. Bake, uncovered, at 400 for 15 minutes. Add apple, and bake 20 minutes or until thermometer registers 160 degrees (slightly pink). Remove pork, potatoes, and onion mixture from pan; keep warm.

Add cider, broth, salt and pepper to pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil over high heat, and cook 10 to 12 minutes or until reduced to 1 cup. Remove from heat. Stir flour into sour cream; add sour cream mixture to cider mixture, stirring with a whisk until well-blended. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 1 minute.

Cut pork ito 1/4-ich-thick slices. Arrange 3 ounces pork on each of 6 plates; top each with 1 cup potato mixture and about 1/4 cup sour cream sauce.

Yield: 6 servings. 343 cal, 8g fat, 27.3g pro, 40.1g carb, 4.3g fiber, 81mh chol, 3.3mg iron, 278mg sod, 61mg calc.

If you like iced herbal teas, you can use the apple juice in place of some of the water when you make them, and it makes a nice, slightly tart, slightly sweet tea. We use it in anything, like the Red Zinger or Berry or other fruity teas.

Crystal

I pour the leftover juice into ice cube trays and freeze. After they've frozen, remove them from the trays and place in a ziplock bag.

They don't take up much freezer space and keep a very long time. You can pull a few out each time you need apple juice.

Cheryl
    Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard all the bull before.

Cheryl

Two recipes we like that use apple juice are the Chicken with Roasted Pears and Wild Rice from CL complete. And also just last night I made the Pork Medallions with Cranberries and Apples from CL november 2002, it was our first time having this and I must say is was very good. Hope this helps

If all else fails...

Simmer the apple juice with mulling spices, add 1 shot of rum (and, if you're feeling adventerous calorie-wise, a dollop of cream) and enjoy!
    Blogging about Barb horses at The Barb Wire and about the simple pleasures of less urban living at Nightlife. Saddle up and come along for the ride!

Simmer the apple juice with mulling spices, add 1 shot of rum (and, if you're feeling adventerous calorie-wise, a dollop of cream) and enjoy!
    Ooh, I think I need to buy some juice

Cheryl
    Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard all the bull before.

Cheryl