Community Message Boards

Thread: ? re Pampered chef bread tube

? re Pampered chef bread tube

I have the square and scalloped bread tubes, but have never used them. I want to make some red and green bread for my Christmas party. The instructions only say to use the frozen bread. Could I just use a recipe in my bread maker, add the coloring and bake it in the tubes? Other question. Has anyone ever used these tubes and how full do you fill them. It just says fill with dough and put the top on. I have visions of dough spewing out all over the place!

When I bought a bread tube many years ago, the consultants used refrigerated bread dough...like Pillsbury. I seem to remember the French bread package was just the right size to fill up the tube as it baked. I know you're not looking for purchased dough, but thought that might give you an idea of how much used to go in there for a whole "loaf".

One thing they always said to do was to take a regular piece of white bread (or whatever bread) and use the tube to cut the shape of bread. Leave the cut piece of bread in the bottom, put the end on the bottom, and that's supposed to help keep it from seeping out the bottom as it bakes standing up.

That's as much information as I can dig out of those old brain cells from too many years ago. Hopefully someone else will have more current info??

Well, that was a good tip. They didn't mention that in the instructions and I have had them a year. I think my best bet is to experiment.

I have used my own bread dough, and I think I filled the tubes about 2/3 full. I didn't bake them with the caps on, because I wasn't sure what would happen (fear of spewing here, too... ) They rose about 1 inch above, and I sliced that dome off and ate it. Chef's reward!

Hope this helps. I've also made bread different colors, and found it mixed best when I added the color to the water before adding the water to the rest of the ingredients.

Laurie

I never would have thought about putting the color in the water. That makes it easier. There is a long pan out that has a top on it so you can make a square loaf. But you bake it longways...this you stand upright. Now I am getting excited to try! I can see what I will be doing this weekend! Thanks for the help.