Community Message Boards

Thread: How long does cauliflower keep?

How long does cauliflower keep?

Silly question, I know, but I have no clue. I cut a head in half on Tuesday, and have the other half still wrapped up in my fridge. I really don't want to cook it tonight, but if I don't use it today it will have to wait until Monday. Does anyone know how long it's likely to be good for? TIA!
    -Thea
    I believe in the forest, and in the meadow, and in the night in which the corn grows. -Henry David Thoreau

As far as I know, cauliflower is good until it is green. Even then, if it is just starting to turn brownish green in spots you can cut that off and use the rest.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

Thanks! (I didn't even know white cauliflower would turn green, I guess I figured it would turn brown.)
    I believe in the forest, and in the meadow, and in the night in which the corn grows. -Henry David Thoreau

Cool

Well, it doesn't actually turn green; it develops black spots. The black spots multiply and if you haven't thrown it out after they're numerous, it'll start going oodgy, as all vegetables eventually do.

If your cauliflower was really fresh (not even a one black or brown spot yet) no biggie about keeping it till Monday, though it likely won't taste as good. If it's already got spots, it'll have more on Monday.

Editing to compromise: Maybe the spots are DARK brown...

I have had cauliflower for around 10 days in the fridge and it has been find - even 14 days. I say use it until it reeks or is covered with the brown spots.