Community Message Boards

Thread: Tamale Pie Dec. 2000

Hybrid View

Question Tamale Pie Dec. 2000

The Upside Down Tamle Pie calls for "salt free barbeque rub". I've never heard of that. Any ideas on what to substitute? BBQ sauce? taco seasoning (mix or homemade)?

I've been reading this BB for a while now but this is my first post. What a great idea--I often wished I had a hot line to CL for all my questions.

ewatkins
    In the spice isle of the grocery store you should be able to find dry rubs for meat. If you don't find salt-free you could use regular ones and omit any other salt listed in the recipe (sorry don't know the one you are referring to). The brand I have is Zach's and comes in a package but I've bought some in bottles and there are recipes to make your own but mine are in storage.

[This message has been edited by sneezles (edited 01-24-2001).]

I couldn't find that ingredient at my grocery store either. I ended up using McCormick Barbecue Seasoning, which is not salt free. I thought the taste was just a little too strong, so when I make this again I plan to reduce the amount to 1/2 to 3/4 of what the recipe calls for.

When I made this, I didn't think I would like 1-1/2 cups salsa (not because of the spiciness, but because the salsa my husband likes is very thick and tomato-y), so I used 1/2 cup salsa and 1 cup of some of the mole sauce left over from the Pork Chops Mole in the same issue as the Tamale Pie. (Of course, unable to follow any recipe exactly, I also modified the mole sauce by substituting a small jar of roasted red peppers for the fresh red and yellow peppers, and substituting a 15 oz can of diced tomatoes with jalapenos for the fresh jalapeno and regular canned tomatoes). I also substituted pinquitos (seasoned small red beans) for the kidney beans. I didn't have the rub, and didn't want to buy it, so just left it out. The combination of the mole and salsa and pinquitos was really good, and the whole thing was quite spicy without the rub. I wouldn't make the mole just to put in this, but I had quite a bit of the mole left over and so thought this would be a good place to use it.

If I made this again I would probably use a fresh salsa (the kind that is sold in the refrigerated section) rather than a jarred one. And I would try to figure out a way to make my own polenta instead of paying $3 to have a pretty bland base to put the topping on. However, my husband thought this was a great dish, and he would definitely eat it again.

I make quick cooking polenta from a box and it comes with a seasoning packet. (I think the brand is Fantastic Foods--its actually the only polenta I'm able to find in Indiana!) I think its yummier than the stuff in a tube.

That might help give your polenta base a little kick. Just a thought.

I had thought about making it and adding cumin or chili powder or something like that. I bought the sundried tomato polenta, but it still was just polenta, which I have made before. My objection to polenta has always been it's blandness.

I have seen the fantastic foods brand here, so I might try that. The ingredients in polenta can't cost more than about 17 cents, so maybe making my own and adding lots of flavoring makes more sense.

I made polenta from regular cornmeal for this because my grocery store only carries tubes of polenta in the summer (the manager said that's the only time it sells well enough). I used the basic polenta recipe from the CL Complete Cookbook (very simple -- I can post if anyone wants it). I didn't even think about spicing it up -- that's a good idea.
    Beth