Community Message Boards

Thread: Help w/ Proctor Silex Crockpot w/ 1-2-Autoshift" settings rather than "Hi-Lo"...

Help w/ Proctor Silex Crockpot w/ 1-2-Autoshift" settings rather than "Hi-Lo"...

I can never remember what is considered "Hi" - setting 1 or 2? My crockpot is about 6 years old and I know the newer versions use the Hi-Lo labels for temp settings. I've always found mine to be confusing. Can't find my manual, so I'm hoping one of you guys can refresh my memory!

bumping...
    Dianne

So I initially posted this ages ago and never got a reply. I'm giving it a try once again now that it's crockpot season! Anyone?

You could see if the information is here at the Proctor Silex website. If you can't find it in the manual, "contact us" has the 800 # to call. It says they answer over a thousand customer service questions a day--you could be one of them. Good luck!

Thanks. I actually poked around the PS website and did a google search, but I think my model (7 years old) is too outdated. I also assumed the customer service wouldn't be available on weekends. I guess I should give it a try anyway. Thanks again!

I don't know if this helps, but I just threw out my old crock pot, which had those same settings. I don't remember what brand - I had it for ages, but bought it for that autoshift setting. I liked getting the temp up quickly at first, and then knowing it would shift to low after a few hours - good for those days I'd be gone all day.

(It worked well, but developed a broken leg, and then a big crack on the crock. Off to BBB I went with my 20 % off coupon and replaced it! My new Rival doesn't have autoshift, but does have warm! And a timer.)

Anyway...I am pretty sure it went low (1), High (2), Autoshift as I turned the dial from left to right.

Hope this helps...another thought is to check water temps. My new cookbook says that Low cooks at 180-200 degrees F, and the high setting is about 280. The contents will take 1-2 hours to get up to a simmer, according to Beth Hensperger's book.

Good luck!
    Laurie

I have a 9 year old Proctor Silex crockpot with those same settings. I dug through the drawer with all the manuals, and couldn't find the one for the crockpot.

From what I remember it works like Breadmama says. 1 is Low, 2 is High, and Autoshift cooks on high for an hour or two then shifts to low.

I do think it's worth calling Proctor Silex. Even if they don't have it on the web you should be able to get them to send you a copy of the manual. I've gotten the manual for used/old baby things that way and I assume kitchen appliances would be the same.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)