Community Message Boards

Thread: How long will my butternut squash keep?

Question How long will my butternut squash keep?

I bought a cute little butternut squash at the farmer's market a week and a day ago. Work has been crazy busy, so I haven't had time to do anything with it. I leave tomorrow to drive back to Austin for the holiday weekend, so the soonest I will be able to do anything with it is probably the Monday or Tuesday after I get back. By then, it will have been at least 15 days since I got it. Will it still be good? It looks and feels fine right now (it's been sitting on my counter), but I don't want to come home to a rotting squash. Should I pitch it, or do you think it will wait for me to come home?

If you keep your squash as cool and dark as possible- it can last for months. I keep my squash in the basement. Refrigeration might be too cold for it for long term storage though.

BTW- You'll know when your squash goes bad...
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

yep, i agree with everything that mrswaz said, especially the knowing when it goes bad

And hi, Eva, btw. Safe travels and happy turkey day. Give hugs to you, DH and the pets!

Emily

Hey Em!

Thanks, you guys. I was planning to turn my A/C off while I was gone (yes, it's still on ). But the daytime temps are slowly dropping, so it shouldn't get too warm in my apartment - tops, 75 or so. I will throw the squash in the pantry and hope for the best.

You've probably gotten all the advice you need on this one, but I had to laugh (and obviously, reply) because I just served a butternut squash last Saturday that I'd had since AUGUST. Since August, in my apartment in LA! I honestly can't believe it didn't go bad, but I was very impressed, and it was quite tasty. If my experience holds any water, you will be just fine.

(hope no one's too grossed out by this story)

Hi
    I was told by the farmer I bought butternut squash from that it will last for over a month and in fact the flavor will develop more and taste even better, so no worries!

You can acutallu cure a winter squash for longer storage but it's too late to do before you leave. However, if you wash with 1 1/2 teaspoons of 5.25 percent liquid chlorine bleach in one gallon of water, put it in a brown paper bag and then store in the fridge it should be good for at least another 2 weeks.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Cool

No advice here (though I'm the one who can tell you what spoiled squash looks like) beyond saying that if it's a "cute little squash," dunno that I'd EVER be able to eat it.

Drive safely.

Lightbulb SQUASH: What's in a Name? (Winter / Summer)

I realize this thread is about a decade old, but still... Over the years, people have lost sight of the reason that different types of squash were originally given 2 categories (Winter & Summer). It has nothing to do with when it is grown or when it is / should be eaten. Summer squash varieties: zucchini, yellow squash, long-neck, straight-neck, etc. These varieties, of which the rind or peeling is usually eaten do not keep well without preservation methods such as canning or freezing. These methods, however, were NOT available when the 2 main types of squash were named. Therefor, Summer squash was given that title because it had to be eaten before the end of Summer or it would spoil. Winter Squash: the "gourd family" of squash. These are generally much sweeter than Summer varieties (depending on ripeness). There are MANY types in this category, and Butternut squash is one of them. The thick rinds of these are NOT eaten, although doing so would cause no harm as long as they are washed properly. These thicker rinds are actually the reason that these have such a long "shelf life." In a somewhat dark space with a mild temperature of 50-80 degrees, these will keep as is (no cutting, no refrigerating, no washing) until mid-January, or even as late as April in some cases. Most Butternut squash sold in supermarkets is 1-3 months old when it arrives in stores, and is sold in these stores for another 2-3 months. Questions? Ask us on facebook. (Buttrey Organic Farms) Fairview, TN "Old-Fashioned Farming Since 1926"

Buttrey, the OP's question was answered a number of times in the thread, but stick around and contribute on some of the newer threads. We'd love to have you join us.

One thing to prolong life is making sure you have an intact stem