Community Message Boards

Thread: Boxed powered sugar -- how much?

Question Boxed powered sugar -- how much?

I am about to make a cake that calls for one box of powdered sugar? Does anyone know how much that is? For as long as I can remember, all of my powdered sugar has come in plastic bags.

1 pound!
    Enjoy your cake.

Hi miswin! Happy Thanksgiving! And yes, it is 1 lb.!!

Or if you don't have a scale and need to measure, 1 pound of confectioners sugar is equivalent to 4 cups unsifted or 3 1/2 cups sifted.

Thanks all. I used 2 cups of sugar. The batter tasted good enough but I won't know how it really tastes until I cut into it tomorrow.

Oh, I'm so glad to see this question and answer! I, too, have been buying both powdered sugar and brown sugar in plastic bags. Does anyone happen to know how many cups of brown sugar constitute a box? Same amount as powdered sugar or more/less? I haven't bought boxes in so long, I have no idea whatsoever!

Thank you so much!

Originally posted by GrinsandGiggles
    Does anyone happen to know how many cups of brown sugar constitute a box?

My 2 pound bag of brown sugar says on the back that it is equal to "approximately 4 2/3 cups firmly packed sugar." That would make a 1-lb box about 2 1/3 cups.

Originally posted by Ms. Chevious
    Or if you don't have a scale and need to measure, 1 pound of confectioners sugar is equivalent to 4 cups unsifted or 3 1/2 cups sifted.
    Shouldn't those be reversed? I'm thinking that sifted confectioner's has more volume than unsifted.
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."