I am planning to make this recipe tomorrow and couldn't find almond paste at the store. I'm thinking of just subbing almond extract so I don't have to run to the store again tomorrow. It's only 2 tablespoons so I don't think the liquid vs. paste should make a difference but I'm not sure. Baking is not my best skill, but I know there's lots of experienced bakers on this bb so I'd love your advice. Here's the recipe, from CL 3/03:
Raspberry-Almond Torte with Chocolate Ganache
A torte is a cake enriched with nuts and often layered with jam. Almond paste is a mixture of ground almonds and sugar. Look for it in the baking aisle of most supermarkets.
6 tablespoons butter, softened
2 tablespoons almond paste
1 cup granulated sugar, divided
3 large eggs
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large egg whites
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 (10-ounce) jar seedless raspberry preserves
1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/3 cup fat-free milk
1 (4-ounce) bar semisweet chocolate, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Coat a 15 x 10-inch jelly roll pan with cooking spray; line bottom with parchment paper. Coat parchment paper with cooking spray.
3. To prepare cake, place butter and almond paste in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed 2 minutes or until blended. Add 1/2 cup granulated sugar, beating until well blended (about 3 minutes). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and salt, stirring with a whisk. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating just until combined.
5. Place the egg whites in a large bowl. Using clean, dry beaters, beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Gradually add 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into batter; pour batter into prepared pan.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 18 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly. Cool. Invert cake onto a wire rack. Remove parchment paper. Cut cake into 4 (10 x 33/4-inch) rectangles.
7. To prepare filling, combine juice and raspberry preserves, stirring with a whisk. Add powdered sugar, stirring until smooth. Reserve 3/4 cup raspberry mixture. Place 1 cake rectangle on a cake platter; spread with 1/4 cup raspberry mixture, leaving a 1/4-inch border. Repeat procedure with remaining cake and 1/2 cup raspberry mixture, ending with cake.
8. To prepare ganache, combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar, cocoa, and milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat; bring mixture to a boil, stirring frequently. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and add chocolate, stirring until smooth. Spread ganache evenly over top and sides of cake; let stand 20 minutes or until set. Serve reserved raspberry mixture with torte.
NUTRITIONAL INFO: CALORIES 313 (30 percent from fat); FAT 10. 3g (sat 5. 7g, mono 2. 9g, poly 0. 5g); PROTEIN 4. 7g; CARB 52. 5g; FIBER 1. 6g; CHOL 69mg; IRON 2. 1mg; SODIUM 149mg; CALC 69mg
YIELD: 12 servings (serving size: 1 torte slice and 1 tablespoon raspberry mixture)