Community Message Boards

Thread: Customer Service Isn't Dead

Customer Service Isn't Dead

I'l be darned, but I had TWO instances of wonderful customer service today!

The Mechanic
    I've been taking my trusty '95 Honda Civic to the same mechanic for years. I brought the car in today because the brakes had been squealing; since at my last visit they told me I needed a new air filter, I told them to take care of that, too.

Randy called and said they didn't find any problems with the brakes or the pads, they just did some sanding/adjusting to alleviate the squealing. They also took care of the air filter. I went to write the check and he said, "Eighteen ninety-five." Huh? He said "I put those brakes in myself, just about a year ago. I'm certainly not going to charge you to look at them." Hooray!

Whole Foods
    I've had a chocolate craving for longer than I care to think about, so while I was at Whole Foods this morning I picked up a Newman's Own Organic milk chocolate bar. When I bit into it in the car, I discovered it had toffee chips in it. I double-checked the label and, sure enough, it claimed to be a plain milk chocolate bar.

I went back to exchange it. On my way up to the Customer Service desk I opened up the new bar and, sure enough, it also had toffee chips. They immediately refunded my money, apologized for the inconvenience, and pulled all the "milk chocolate" bars from the shelves, lest anyone with a peanut allergy be fooled. They even threw in some coupons for my trouble.

So in the midst of the holiday shopping craziness, I thought I'd throw a little positive sharing out there!

I thought I would chime in as well. I was on the phone yesterday with my mail-order prescription company. The person I spoke with was so nice and so patient with me. She sorted out some things that should have been done before (by them), answered a bunch of my questions, etc. After we were done with the business, I asked to speak to her supervisor. I LOVE doing that-I did tell her that I wanted to let her supervisor know what a great job she did. I know many people didn't want to be at work yesterday, but she sure was wonderful. Thank you, Stefania4 for starting this happy thread. Sue

I had very nice service this weekend too -- capped off by a local furniture store matching the NC direct price I got for a sectional we just ordered for our family room. We saved more than enought to buy a sofa for the living room (at a different store)! I was hoping they could come off their price, but I didn't expect a price match so easily -- and both of the sales people there were so nice and helpful. The only thing we really shopped for was furniture, so we avoided the mobs and still did well.

Guest Guest
    I've had two really nice experiences recently.

One was when the hot water heater went out and the repairman replaced the defective part and didn't charge me for the service call. He said our water heater was so easy to fix that he didn't feel right charging me for the service call which was more than $100. I would have been happy to pay it to get my hot water back, but didn't argue and gave the repairman a thank you gift of $20.

Last weekend in an effort to save the delivery charge on the area rug we bought, DH went to pick it up. He came back with the rug and announced that he had broken the rear view mirror. It was dangling. There are no cheap parts or repairs for a Volvo in my experience, so I steeled myself to see just how much we "saved" by picking up the rug. A local shop that works on Volvos was open and DH took it in and they fixed the mirror and didn't charge him!!! They suggested we bring the car in if it needs servicing or work in the future. I will.

Being in customer service and hearing these wonderful stories, really does my heart good. It's so wonderful when customers actually give positive remarks to management as opposed to the typical complaints I usually get from grumpy guss'. So thanks guys for posting. Although I have a terrible head cold and can barely breathe, going to work will be much easier for now after hearing your guys experiences.
    Thanks
    Theresa

Theresa, my hat is off to you and anyone else in customer service. I am a medical office manager and am working to instill more of a customer service attitude in the entire staff (both internal and external customers). CS is not just for retail . I always try to speak with a supervisor when I have an exceptional person on the other end of the line/counter. It is nice to let the person know they did a good job, however, I DO think that someone that can make a difference in pay/a note in the file, or whatever should also be told. Keep up the good work and please know there are many of us out there that totally appreciate your efforts and patience! (And good luck going into this holiday season when so many people think their time is more precious than anyone else's.) Sue

There is an auto shop less than a mile from our house in Austin. Last March, when DH's truck wouldn't start, we had AAA tow it there. It started fine for them and after checking it out for two days, they couldn't find anything wrong with it. We picked it up, it's been running fine since, and they didn't charge us a penny.

Fast forward to about two months ago. Our 1995 Honda was having this issue where it shook at a certain speed. We took it to this same shop, where they were able to replicate the problem the first day. They suspected the transmission, warned us that it could be expensive, and we told them to go ahead. After taking it out and checking it out, they found nothing wrong with it. They worked on the car for 4 days and never found any problem, and were never able to replicate the shaking again. We picked it up, it's been running fine since, and again, they didn't charge us a penny.

These are the only two experiences we've had with this shop, but we wouldn't hesitate to recommend them or to take our car(s) there if we were having problems. We jokingly call it the "Magic Car Shop," where your car problems miraculously vanish.

Re: Customer Service Isn't Dead

Originally posted by stefania4
    Whole Foods
    I've had a chocolate craving for longer than I care to think about, so while I was at Whole Foods this morning I picked up a Newman's Own Organic milk chocolate bar. When I bit into it in the car, I discovered it had toffee chips in it. I double-checked the label and, sure enough, it claimed to be a plain milk chocolate bar.

I went back to exchange it. On my way up to the Customer Service desk I opened up the new bar and, sure enough, it also had toffee chips. They immediately refunded my money, apologized for the inconvenience, and pulled all the "milk chocolate" bars from the shelves, lest anyone with a peanut allergy be fooled. They even threw in some coupons for my trouble.

So in the midst of the holiday shopping craziness, I thought I'd throw a little positive sharing out there!
    OMG, OMG!!! Last week I was at Whole Foods in the Boston area. I was looking for toffee chips because I was making cookies, but couldn't find any, so settled on Newman's Own Organic Butter Crunch Bars (milk-cholcolate-covered toffee).

I got home and made the cookies, but discovered that both of my bars were plain milk chocolate, not a bit of toffee to be found in either one of them! I was annoyed, but didn't feel like going back to the store, so my cookies were plain chocolate chip.

I wonder if they had a problem at the packing plant...
    -Rebecca

Endurance comes from exhaustion. Keep running!
    --DH, aka "Coach"

I had a great experience at Marshall Fields over the weekend. I walked into the shoe department and started talking to a saleswoman about shoes. In passing, she asked me who sold me the shoes I was wearing when I walked in. I told her (happened to be a guy in her departement) and she said they were at least a size too large and she never would have let me buy them that size. Indeed, in the two weeks I owned them, they became way too sloppy to look good and had become difficult to keep on my feet. They were Ann Klein mules, and according to her, you should always buy mules a half size too small.

Long story short, she said I could return them with the box and receipt - fortunately, I still had both - even though I had worn them a lot during the last couple of weeks. The correct size shoes are being shipped to my house.

For anyone shopping the Marshall Fields, Woodland Mall, in Grand Rapids, Michigan, ask for Sherry (there are two Sherry's - she's a petite blonde woman). She knows her stuff and stands behind their service.

Kim

OK, I am liking this "postive shopping experiences" thread. I would like to add kudos for King Arthur (helpful saleslady, and the order took less than a week to arrive), but most especially for L.L. Bean. They are the best! I have ordered from them for years, and always have a great experience with friendly and helpful phone people. I know I could order online, but I prefer to talk to a live human.

Here is my best L.L. Bean story:
    When I was in the fifth grade, L.L. Bean grey ragg wool sweaters were all the rage. My mother bought me one for Christmas, but it was a warm winter, and I never wore it. When I was 23, and cleaning out the back of my closet in preparation for my move from Ohio to Minnesota, I found the sweater, never worn, still in its bag, now several sizes too small. I didn't know what to do with it, and my dad suggested sending it to L.L. Bean (thinking they could maybe sell it at their outlet store or something). So, I wrote a note explaining what had happened, and mailed them the 13-year old sweater. A week later, I got a package in the mail from Bean. It contained a brand new gray ragg wool sweater, in my correct size, and a very nice handwritten (!) note saying that everything from L.L. Bean has a lifetime guarantee, and they hoped I would be able to use a warm sweater in my new home in Minnesota. I am a devoted Bean customer for life.

Happy shopping,

kyra

I love the LL Bean story..that is amazing customer service !
    Here's a plug for Gymboree (clothing store for kids.)
    I'm a total procrastinator and just got around to buying Christmas outfits for my girls. I want to coordinate their outfits, but now alot of the holiday stuff is gone.
    I finally found something I love, but tried it on my little one and it's too big...I called around to every store in the state (all of whom took the time to search their store for me.)
    I finally found a store with the correct size.The salesperson said that she would have to ship the item to my home and I would incur the shipping expense.
    I agreed and purchased the item and at the end of the order she waived the shipping charge for me and wished me a Happy Holiday...Happy Holiday's indeed.
    Not that it was a big deal, but very nice I thought !

It apparently up and died at Sears!

We bought a riding mower at Sears in August, and it was delivered in Sept. A month later it broke. We had purchased an at home repair warranty for $250 so we scheduled service. Day before they were due here, they called to rescheduled, which we did. Then we had to reschedule because I was being induced. Twice since then they've rescheduled.

Bottom line: We spent several thousand dollars on this thing, plus a snow plow attachment. To date, we were able to use it for only a month. Since then, we haven't cut our grass since Oct and now, with 10" of snow on the ground, we can't even use it to plow snow.

They were due to come here on Monday to fix it. They called today to say they'd have to reschedule and I called back and totally vented to the person who answered. She said she'd have the technician themselves call back w/in an hour. Three hours later? No call! I called the 800# again and conveniently, the technicians are done for the day. I sent them a scathing email, too.

Well, it just so happens that one of the Sears VPs is close friends with several of the people I still do work for at my former job. I intend to inform him of this crappy job they've done at servicing us. We have many Sears appliances and tools, but I swear after this week I'm never shopping there again!
    In a nutshell, I'm saying no to fishbread.
    - Wendy W - CLBB

Okay, I realize I kind of hijacked this thread w/a bad experience, so I'll say what my good experiences have been:

Our local pet store is great when it comes to help and it's not a chain store. I go there rather than go to Petco, which opened two years ago.

I'll echo what others have said about LL Bean in the past. They have great customer service AND great products. I just replaced our dog beds, but just the inserts. The covers themselves have gone through countless washings and are still in great shape, and the embroidery on the outside hasn't even frayed after 9 years!
    In a nutshell, I'm saying no to fishbread.
    - Wendy W - CLBB

Sears is not Sears anymore the way it was................